The Student Room Group

Personal Statement - Psychology Books

I know so many people have already posted about this but I feel like the book recommendations aren't advanced enough for a university like Cambridge so can anyone recommend academically advanced books on Psychology that I can read to include in my personal statement?
Original post by idkmann
I know so many people have already posted about this but I feel like the book recommendations aren't advanced enough for a university like Cambridge so can anyone recommend academically advanced books on Psychology that I can read to include in my personal statement?

It depends really on the type of book you're interested in. It's better o read books about something that you find interesting rather than "general psychology books". I find Zimbardo fascinating so I read The Lucifer Effect which explains his account of he Stanford Prison Experiment and how the same thing was seen in the Abu Ghraib prison. I included that in my personal statement.

I was planning to study law before I changed to psychology but I still find it interesting and would love to work in criminal/forensic psychology. I asked my teacher at college and she recommended The Jigsaw Man by Paul Britton which explains cases that he's worked on and how he came to create the criminal profile.

I also really love Derren Brown (I love magic too) so I bought myself Tricks Of The Mind to read over summer, more for fun than anything else though.

I also went to a psychology conference in March in London where Elizabeth Loftus was the main speaker. Some of the speakers brought their books along to sell so I also bought Serial Killers: Hunting Britons And Their Victims 1960-2006 by David Wilson.

If you're looking for pure academia rather than books by psychologists, have you tried the Psychology Review or Psychology Today magazines? They're also quite an interesting read.
Reply 2
Original post by greghayes
It depends really on the type of book you're interested in. It's better o read books about something that you find interesting rather than "general psychology books". I find Zimbardo fascinating so I read The Lucifer Effect which explains his account of he Stanford Prison Experiment and how the same thing was seen in the Abu Ghraib prison. I included that in my personal statement.

I was planning to study law before I changed to psychology but I still find it interesting and would love to work in criminal/forensic psychology. I asked my teacher at college and she recommended The Jigsaw Man by Paul Britton which explains cases that he's worked on and how he came to create the criminal profile.

I also really love Derren Brown (I love magic too) so I bought myself Tricks Of The Mind to read over summer, more for fun than anything else though.

I also went to a psychology conference in March in London where Elizabeth Loftus was the main speaker. Some of the speakers brought their books along to sell so I also bought Serial Killers: Hunting Britons And Their Victims 1960-2006 by David Wilson.

If you're looking for pure academia rather than books by psychologists, have you tried the Psychology Review or Psychology Today magazines? They're also quite an interesting read.

Thank you so much. I will definitely check out everything you recommended. Strangely enough, I also was planning on studying law and have an interest in forensic psychology so I'll defo check out The Jigsaw Man too. Can I ask, were you accepted into Cambridge? And if so, what A - levels did you take and what grades did you get - if you don't mind of course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending