The Student Room Group

pre access sept 17

hi is anyone doing preaccess this september and at which college, im redoing my pre access due to ill health and waiting for my maths results so i hope to do biolgy alongside the pre access sociology and psychology and hope to make new friends and hopefully do level 3 2018
i have just completed an access course which included Psychology (which I am going on to do at uni) and Sociology. where are you doing the course?
Original post by Richard0328
i have just completed an access course which included Psychology (which I am going on to do at uni) and Sociology. where are you doing the course?

Hi richard
thats great and good luck with your uni studies and im going to do the course at sgs filton college
Original post by glamourprincess
Hi richard
thats great and good luck with your uni studies and im going to do the course at sgs filton college

thank you :smile:

my course was tough due to the amount of modules that we had over the year so be ready for a lot of pressure around March to May. we were not allowed to sit the Psychology or Sociology exams (these were our main subjects) but we did have projects to do for both at the same time. the Psychology project takes a lot longer because we had to create everything from consent forms to de-brief forms (the research methods modules covers all this) plus getting participants, analysing results and turning the data into charts and lots of writing. the sociology project took me a day and a half because we only had to find the data and write about it so i would hit that first and get it out of the way.
the other main piece of advice i will give you is how to write their essays. describe and explain ie what and why. when you write an essay in either of these subjects, they are looking for you to demonstrate an understanding of the topic, the ability to explain it and the ability to evaluate the theories (your opinions). write it as if you are writing to someone who knows nothing about the topic, not as if it is a lecturer. this is what they are looking for and dont worry about failing anything. nobody is trying to fail you so do not be afraid to ask questions or submit unofficially to have it looked over.
good luck and enjoy the experience
(edited 6 years ago)

my course was tough due to the amount of modules that we had over the year so be ready for a lot of pressure around March to May. we were not allowed to sit the Psychology or Sociology exams (these were our main subjects) but we did have projects to do for both at the same time. the Psychology project takes a lot longer because we had to create everything from consent forms to de-brief forms (the research methods modules covers all this) plus getting participants, analysing results and turning the data into charts and lots of writing. the sociology project took me a day and a half because we only had to find the data and write about it so i would hit that first and get it out of the way.
the other main piece of advice i will give you is how to write their essays. describe and explain ie what and why. when you write an essay in either of these subjects, they are looking for you to demonstrate an understanding of the topic, the ability to explain it and the ability to evaluate the theories (your opinions). write it as if you are writing to someone who knows nothing about the topic, not as if it is a lecturer. this is what they are looking for and dont worry about failing anything. nobody is trying to fail you so do not be afraid to ask questions or submit unofficially to have it looked over.

This is really good advice.
Original post by Reality Check
This is really good advice.

thanks
we were half way through the course before we finally understood what they wanted in our essays. life would have been so much easier if we knew earlier that we were supposed to be writing as if the reader knew nothing about the topic. writing an essay which shows that we understand is totally different to writing an essay to effectively teach the topic to a reader.
i am happy to pass this on to avoid other people falling into the same trap

thanks for the advice it has been very helpful :smile:
Original post by glamourprincess
thanks for the advice it has been very helpful :smile:

you are welcome. if you need any help then let me know. i should have most of my essays and documents if you want a look at them. i do have one on research methods for Psychology that came in very useful. i have no idea where i got it from but nobody else in my class seemed to have it. i can forward on anything that you think might be useful or maybe help you understand something if i have done it. the modules will differ according to lecturer though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending