The Student Room Group

Should Creationism be taught in schools?

just as evolution is taught as fact in Science lessons, do you think Creationism should be taught too?

Scroll to see replies

No, because it isn't fact.
isn't it already taught in schools though? when I was doing my bio GCSE we had to learn why people at the time weren't accepting of the idea of evolution - the main reason being creationism and religious ideas.
it shouldn't be taught fully though - it's not that useful
Original post by TheDuo
just as evolution is taught as fact in Science lessons, do you think Creationism should be taught too?

Should be taught in religious studies, but never in science - because it aint science.
Reply 4
isn't the most sensible and acceptable solution a combination of both Evolution and Creationism?
Original post by TheDuo
isn't the most sensible and acceptable solution a combination of both Evolution and Creationism?

Why is it sensible to teach something that has no empirical evidence as fact?
Reply 6
Original post by nitrogenousBase
Why is it sensible to teach something that has no empirical evidence as fact?

I mean the theory that is was GOD who kick-started evolution, not just a random accident, but once again, teaching it as a THEORY.
It is pseudoscientific nonsense and has absolutely no place in science teaching.
No, leave creationism in RE lessons. Next question.
Original post by TheDuo

tfw you respond to a thread thinking it has pure intentions but realise that "TheDuo" made it

ur dumb
Original post by TheDuo

No evolution is a fact.By your logic we should also teach that the earth may be flat even though we have pictures from space showing it's a sphere.
Original post by TheDuo
I mean the theory that is was GOD who kick-started evolution, not just a random accident, but once again, teaching it as a THEORY.

That isn't a theory as scientists use the word, and as the word should be used in science class, because it has no evidence to support it and also isn't really falsifiable.
Original post by TheDuo

No, because creationism is demonstrably bullsh*t.
Original post by TheDuo

1) That is a Deistic view, vastly different from creationism. Creationism supposes that the first few verses of Genesis were literally true. There is no evidence for this.
2) It's still barely a theory with no evidence to support it, unlike evolution.
3) Both creationism and deism should be taught as worldviews in religious studies because they are equally unscientific.
Reply 14
the idea of the earth being around for 6000 years is just pure BS.
ok, when I say creationism, I more meant the idea that GOD started whatever form of evolution or whatever you believe in.
Original post by TheDuo
the idea of the earth being around for 6000 years is just pure BS.
ok, when I say creationism, I more meant the idea that GOD started whatever form of evolution or whatever you believe in.

Well that isn't creationism.

Regardless of term, there is zero evidence that what you're suggesting happened. So no, it should not be taught in schools.
Reply 16
Creationism should absolutely be taught in RE, but never in science. To claim that a belief in a God is in any way scientific is frankly damaging to the profession of science, because faith, by its very nature, cannot be supported by empirical evidence.
Only in RE lessons (and not as a fact)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 18
you can't be disrespecting other's views like that! that is called being intolerant and its what immature humans do.
Original post by TheDuo
you can't be disrespecting other's views like that! that is called being intolerant and its what immature humans do.

It's not disrespecting, it's stating fact- There is zero evidence that what you're suggesting happened. I don't care if you believe it, and I don't care if it gets taught within RE in the context of "this is what some people believe", but it should not be taught as a viable alternative to evolution because it has absolutely zero supporting evidence.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending