The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by usualsuspects
I'm part of it. My wordrobe is worth thousands and thousands and thousands. He is a working class peasant (better drug addict urban criminal) or tries to appear so at least.

And I believe you,
not that you are writing on a form like this to lead a life suited to someone far richer, far more privileged and most of all more elite than you, but then again why would someone so brilliant waste their time here? If only to ensure you have the personal you want others to believe you have.

Even if it is true, if it's nothing but daddy's money or worse yet old money. What have you done other than being born into it? You can't talk about being elite without some justification behind it, being born into makes you nothing more than a fluke.

You can't assume someone is a criminal by how they dress, he is a model, plenty of followers on Instagram, making a living off of it.
I also can't assume you're no less of a peasant that the rest of us, but I guess if we are making assumptions than I'm going to assume the most likely of realities.
You're doing nothing more than believing in a life you want to live, a life you want to live, or a life you don't deserve.
Reply 41
Original post by seanf999
And I believe you,
not that you are writing on a form like this to lead a life suited to someone far richer, far more privileged and most of all more elite than you, but then again why would someone so brilliant waste their time here? If only to ensure you have the personal you want others to believe you have.

Even if it is true, if it's nothing but daddy's money or worse yet old money. What have you done other than being born into it? You can't talk about being elite without some justification behind it, being born into makes you nothing more than a fluke.

You can't assume someone is a criminal by how they dress, he is a model, plenty of followers on Instagram, making a living off of it.
I also can't assume you're no less of a peasant that the rest of us, but I guess if we are making assumptions than I'm going to assume the most likely of realities.
You're doing nothing more than believing in a life you want to live, a life you want to live, or a life you don't deserve.

Then he is actually clever because he sets trends for the criminals and makes money out of it. But that style is indecent.

Old money is good because at least it means I am not a nouveau riche and haven't made my money illicitly, which many new money can't say.
Reply 42
Then he is actually clever because he sets trends for the criminals and makes money out of it. But that style is indecent.

Old money is good because at least it means I am not a nouveau riche and haven't made my money illicitly, which many new money can't say.

You have to do a survey on how elitist you are because you are so pretentious.

Criminals typically have little to no interest in fashion you snob.

Really because money is made by filling a need in society, considering old money tends to own most of the worlds large companies, typically being holding companies. Old money is far more likely to engage in illegal practices to ensure they retain their wealth, why do so many large companies get into hot water over illegal practices, sweatshops, predatory pricing, among many many other things that are only really possible when you have the funds to set up the systems.

I'd rather make my money than live off the shear luck of my relatives, and I'm someone who comes from a relatively wealthy family, albeit I'm glad it only stems from two generations ago and not of some history of rampant inbreeding.
Opinions on blue chords :P?
Reply 44
You have to do a survey on how elitist you are because you are so pretentious.

Criminals typically have little to no interest in fashion you snob.

Really because money is made by filling a need in society, considering old money tends to own most of the worlds large companies, typically being holding companies. Old money is far more likely to engage in illegal practices to ensure they retain their wealth, why do so many large companies get into hot water over illegal practices, sweatshops, predatory pricing, among many many other things that are only really possible when you have the funds to set up the systems.

I'd rather make my money than live off the shear luck of my relatives, and I'm someone who comes from a relatively wealthy family, albeit I'm glad it only stems from two generations ago and not of some history of rampant inbreeding.

Quizzes and surveys show I'm extremely elitist. Companies are not primarily held by old money families. My family behaved respectably and honourably and that's probably why most of our money is gone (as is often the case).
Reply 45
And I believe you,

I'd also like to point out that I came here for the investment banking internships thread
Reply 46
Quizzes and surveys show I'm extremely elitist. Companies are not primarily held by old money families. My family behaved respectably and honourably and that's probably why most of our money is gone (as is often the case).

Elitist is not a compliment.
It's a buzzfeed quiz, what that quiz shows is how pretentious the individual a long with how likely they are to make a quick judgement.
Elitism is the belief that society should be led by the elite, typically the rich.
It's an old believe and those who believe it typically come from old money and this would benefit them putting them in the category of 'elite'.

Companies are primarily held owned by major companies in the form of conglomerates and investment groups.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brendancoffey/2011/10/26/the-four-companies-that-control-the-147-companies-that-own-everything/#49b590ee685b

They are not owned by the people who start them in most instances, they are divided up among stakeholders who are part of the elite, these stakeholders than flush the companies with money (when necessary) and acquire other companies in an inorganic manner by take-over or acquisition, be it their competitors, vertical integration, or other unrelated businesses that turn a profit, in such a case which is often the case filling the need is no longer the driving force, it's now just turning a profit because the need is always going to be there.

Not trying to offend you but that quiz show's you are snobby not elitist, it has nothing to do with your political or sociological beliefs, it's to do with your preconceived notions and the belief that you hold a higher standing than those around you.
Reply 47
I'd also like to point out that I came here for the investment banking internships thread

That's fair, I think I came here looking for that too before I made an account.
I LOVE guys in suits, very classic and never too overdressed in my opinion.
I like my men to wear spandex dinosaur suits.

It's ridiculous to like men to dress in a certain way. As long as they're comfortable and aren't a complete mess, I don't mind what they wear.
Reply 50
Elitist is not a compliment.
It's a buzzfeed quiz, what that quiz shows is how pretentious the individual a long with how likely they are to make a quick judgement.
Elitism is the belief that society should be led by the elite, typically the rich.
It's an old believe and those who believe it typically come from old money and this would benefit them putting them in the category of 'elite'.

Companies are primarily held owned by major companies in the form of conglomerates and investment groups.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brendancoffey/2011/10/26/the-four-companies-that-control-the-147-companies-that-own-everything/#49b590ee685b

They are not owned by the people who start them in most instances, they are divided up among stakeholders who are part of the elite, these stakeholders than flush the companies with money (when necessary) and acquire other companies in an inorganic manner by take-over or acquisition, be it their competitors, vertical integration, or other unrelated businesses that turn a profit, in such a case which is often the case filling the need is no longer the driving force, it's now just turning a profit because the need is always going to be there.

Not trying to offend you but that quiz show's you are snobby not elitist, it has nothing to do with your political or sociological beliefs, it's to do with your preconceived notions and the belief that you hold a higher standing than those around you.

I've done more than one quiz, but I know they aren't meant to be serious. I'm socially conscious and interested in sociology so I like to know about other people's outlook and conditions and understand where I stand (this is the reason why I originally started looking at threads other than the IB one). I think it's important to be aware of these things: my multi-millionaire friends who consider themselves "normal" sound like deluded and naive idiots. I don't think society should be led by the rich specifically, but considering how stupid the average person is, we need leading elites. I also dislike popular culture very much.

They are called shareholders. Stakeholders is a wider term and it includes employees. I think it's more complicated than that. Regardless, we have never been billionaires (far from it!). My family had land and properties but expensive lifestyles, not working and marrying bourgeois husbands whose company's failed, as well as the general historic trend, led to us selling most of it. Nowadays, we are hardly "rich", as only a few millions worth of assets is left. As most non-ultra-rich old money, we are decaying (or struggling to keep on) rather than controlling the (corporate) world!
Reply 51
I've done more than one quiz, but I know they aren't meant to be serious. I'm socially conscious and interested in sociology so I like to know about other people's outlook and conditions and understand where I stand (this is the reason why I originally started looking at threads other than the IB one). I think it's important to be aware of these things: my multi-millionaire friends who consider themselves "normal" sound like deluded and naive idiots. I don't think society should be led by the rich specifically, but considering how stupid the average person is, we need leading elites. I also dislike popular culture very much.

They are called shareholders. Stakeholders is a wider term and it includes employees. I think it's more complicated than that. Regardless, we have never been billionaires (far from it!). My family had land and properties but expensive lifestyles, not working and marrying bourgeois husbands whose company's failed, as well as the general historic trend, led to us selling most of it. Nowadays, we are hardly "rich", as only a few millions worth of assets is left. As most non-ultra-rich old money, we are decaying (or struggling to keep on) rather than controlling the (corporate) world!

They consider themselves normal because that's the life they live, it's nothing for them to drop £500 on a pair of shoes because that's less than the respective £50 or £60 most young people would spend, it's what and who they've grown up around.

But the elite will be classed as the rich, you spend your life learning and working in an effort to maximise the amount of money you will receive, so that defines success, and as a result rich people even if it is not of their own doing will be considered elite, not sure how that will fair for sports personality and celebrities.
And since they are rich, the likelihood is that they own the systems around them (number of businesses) so they would alter the system to suit them since they all have mutual interests.

This has gone a long was from dressing like a criminal haha
Reply 52
They consider themselves normal because that's the life they live, it's nothing for them to drop £500 on a pair of shoes because that's less than the respective £50 or £60 most young people would spend, it's what and who they've grown up around.

But the elite will be classed as the rich, you spend your life learning and working in an effort to maximise the amount of money you will receive, so that defines success, and as a result rich people even if it is not of their own doing will be considered elite, not sure how that will fair for sports personality and celebrities.
And since they are rich, the likelihood is that they own the systems around them (number of businesses) so they would alter the system to suit them since they all have mutual interests.

This has gone a long was from dressing like a criminal haha

That's exactly why they consider themselves normal, but it's a delusion and I think people shouldn't be so unaware of society and the world outside the bubble.

Haha yes, it has gone too far!
Reply 53
Ironically the t shirt in the top photo is from Supreme and probably £150+ and the trainers in the top photo are Gucci Ace, they're £350+, and the chelsea boots in the second picture are Bottega Venetta and they're £500+..

I wouldn't really say those two pictures are business casual, maybe the second one. but business casual tends to mean jeans/chinos, semi formal dress shoes, a shirt, maybe under a sweater or cardigan.. kind of similar to Steve McQueen's style I guess.

But I do like the styles you mentioned.

Yes, I recognised the brands immediately.. :colondollar: I understand that seeing so many contradict with my point, but I stand by it. If he were wearing 'dupes' and everything underneath the coat and trainers were not designer, it would still be a very attractive look. I like it when men dress like women in the sense that they won't be pompously dressed head to toe in designer brands but will define their outfits by one or two signature pieces. Ofc, that's not to say that there are no women guilty of that.
Original post by Rakas21
Speaking as a guy who when skinny actually had women approaching me and saying i was stylish, trendy, had nice clothes ect.. (this was all late teens) i tended to wear smart-casual so girls obviously thought i was hot.. or gay (i was once called a pretty boy although i did have her).

My staple outfits at the time were..

Jeans with a shirt (not plain) and a stripy jumper.
Jeans with a shirt (usually plain but coloured) and my suit jacket.
Jeans with a shirt and skinny tie.

I felt that shoes (tan) or boots looked best with it though most people comment on the size of my feet (14) rather than how nice the shoes were.

I like to think that the stripy jumper gives a bolder, more confident impression. It's also eye catching so gives a strong first impression.

I love both these styles but the stripey jumper instantly reminded me of
Freddy Krueger in that film A Nightmare On Elm Street
Original post by black1blade

One word, YUCK
Original post by squirrology
I guess it's just personal preference but why should girls be the only ones to wear ripped jeans and not guys lol??

Because girls look better in them, guys just look sad.
What's the point of holes in jeans anyway? It looks weird on men.
I was watching The Only Way Is Essex a few months ago and the guy called Pete was wearing them but it just looked ridiculous because his nearly 30 i think.
When your young you can get away with it but not when you're older although that doesn't mean I think older people shouldn't wear them I'm just saying it's not a great look.
Today on the bus I saw a woman wearing ripped jeans but there were a lot of rips in them all the way up to her thighs and the holes were massive. She looked about 30 but I'm not sure but even if she were younger it still looked ridiculous even on her but she thinks she's unique for wearing them but she's not but if it makes her happy then its up to her. I couldn't help but laugh to myself though but I wouldn't laugh out loud to make her or anyone else feel bad for the styles they choose to wear

Lol to he sets trends for criminals but seriously though I wouldn't care if I got lots of money from relatives, family inheritance, etc. Who cares where it came from as long as you have loads of it and can live comfortably
Reply 58
Original post by Judge Jules
Lol to he sets trends for criminals but seriously though I wouldn't care if I got lots of money from relatives, family inheritance, etc. Who cares where it came from as long as you have loads of it and can live comfortably

And wannabe rappers.
Original post by black1blade

One word, YUCK

At least we can agree on something :lol:

Because girls look better in them, guys just look sad.
What's the point of holes in jeans anyway? It looks weird on men.
I was watching The Only Way Is Essex a few months ago and the guy called Pete was wearing them but it just looked ridiculous because his nearly 30 i think.
When your young you can get away with it but not when you're older although that doesn't mean I think older people shouldn't wear them I'm just saying it's not a great look.
Today on the bus I saw a woman wearing ripped jeans but there were a lot of rips in them all the way up to her thighs and the holes were massive. She looked about 30 but I'm not sure but even if she were younger it still looked ridiculous even on her but she thinks she's unique for wearing them but she's not but if it makes her happy then its up to her. I couldn't help but laugh to myself though but I wouldn't laugh out loud to make her or anyone else feel bad for the styles they choose to wear

Well, I've just turned 18, and maybe it's just because of my age that I like the look on guys and it's obviously the current "trend", I don't necessarily like overly ripped jeans on guys to the point where they look like they've been attacked by a pack of wolves, however, jeans with just the right amount of rips are fine. Again it's just personal preference and we can just agree to disagree on this (I would prefer if a guy was able to do both, Casual and Smart, those were just examples, but that doesn't necessarily describe my overview on how guys should dress). I guess the whole point of wearing holes in jeans is to look "edgy" and the fact that it is the current trend worn by most celebrities.

Speaking in general, I honestly do not understand how this specifically, is the "trend" for ripped jeans for some girls (I could never EVER wear this publically), I don't understand how people can leave the house comfortably whilst wearing this, not posting the image but the link is there:
http://picture-cdn.wheretoget.it/4wmkdv-l-610x610-jeans-distressed-distressed+jeans-boyfriend+jeans-hole+jeans-grunge-hipster-tumblr-dope-indie-boho-butt-ripped+jeans-denim-cut+jeans-blue+jeans-blue-cheeky+jeans-butt+ripped+jeans.jpg
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest