The Student Room Group

personal statement tips for conservation degrees

I'm trying to write me personal statement for conservation degrees and its really hard to find any tips aimed at conservation and environment degrees.
does anyone have any tips?
Original post by Freyamaryf
I'm trying to write me personal statement for conservation degrees and its really hard to find any tips aimed at conservation and environment degrees.
does anyone have any tips?

My daughter has just made a successful application for a Master's in Biodiversity and Conservation. Overall, she tried to make it clear that she knew about the subject both in theory and in practice, and to emphasise the bits of her experience that related to conservation. So it's about giving them bits of evidence to back up that when you say you are interested in the subject, you can demonstrate that in practical terms. She talked about volunteering on a local nature reserve (monitoring water vole and mink populations), her U/G dissertation on the illegal wildlife trade (namechecking the main elements in international conservation agreements) and the field skills training courses she attended in the vacations (bat ecology and monitoring). She also mentioned a couple of recent, relevant, papers she'd read.

Obviously, it would be less technical for a U/G PS, but maybe something similar might work for you? A few days at a local nature reserve? Some inspired reading (What about George Monbiot's "Feral", for instance?), going to meetings of your local Wildlife Trust? Is that any use?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by OxFossil
My daughter has just made a successful application for a Master's in Biodiversity and Conservation. Overall, she tried to make it clear that she knew about the subject both in theory and in practice, and to emphasise the bits of her experience that related to conservation. So it's about giving them bits of evidence to back up that when you say you are interested in the subject, you can demonstrate that in practical terms. She talked about volunteering on a local nature reserve (monitoring water vole and mink populations), her U/G dissertation on the illegal wildlife trade (namechecking the main elements in international conservation agreements) and the field skills training courses she attended in the vacations (bat ecology and monitoring). She also mentioned a couple of recent, relevant, papers she'd read.

Obviously, it would be less technical for a U/G PS, but maybe something similar might work for you? A few days at a local nature reserve? Some inspired reading (What about George Monbiot's "Feral", for instance?), going to meetings of your local Wildlife Trust? Is that any use?

Thanks a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending