The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Grade Acceptance

Hello,

I have just finished my A levels, and am currently in a state of paranoia as to whether i will get the grades required to go to Reading Uni. I do not have an insurance as I declined all my original offers and went through Extra for Reading, as I though they offered a better course than the ones i had previously picked.

I want to know if anyone has been accepted onto their Reading course even though they received lower grades than their offer. My offer is BBB.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by questions1234567
Hello,

I have just finished my A levels, and am currently in a state of paranoia as to whether i will get the grades required to go to Reading Uni. I do not have an insurance as I declined all my original offers and went through Extra for Reading, as I though they offered a better course than the ones i had previously picked.

I want to know if anyone has been accepted onto their Reading course even though they received lower grades than their offer. My offer is BBB.

Yes people are accepted on uni courses ith lower than offer grades, but it depends on how many make the offer. They then consider how many spare places there are and look at people whop just missed maybe by not getting the grades in the correct subjects or scoring the same ucas points just different grades..

They will bear in mind how much you fall short. One grade is possible two grades is rarer.

Most but a very few will be worrying and a bit stressed how they did. Try and relax and work out what you will do on the day.

Depending on results you could be fine or you need to see if they will still consider you by contacting them, try clearing or resit.
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Same I'm so worried.
I'm just harming myself by trying to look at unofficial mark schemes and predicting what I got, but I just can't relax about it
Hello,

Hi :smile:

Try not to worry about your exams, and try and enjoy your summer!

It is true that some people do not always get the grades they needed to get into university. Reading does sometimes accept students who have just fallen short.
I was accepted onto the Philosophy course with BBC instead of BBB.

It does depend on the amount of students that have applied to that particular course, to determine who they let on who have just missed the grade requirements.

Hope this has reassured you a little!
Any further questions feel free to ask.

Sophie
Second year Philosophy student :smile:
Original post by UniofReading
Hi :smile:

Try not to worry about your exams, and try and enjoy your summer!

It is true that some people do not always get the grades they needed to get into university. Reading does sometimes accept students who have just fallen short.
I was accepted onto the Philosophy course with BBC instead of BBB.

It does depend on the amount of students that have applied to that particular course, to determine who they let on who have just missed the grade requirements.

Hope this has reassured you a little!
Any further questions feel free to ask.

Sophie
Second year Philosophy student :smile:

Hi, thank you for the reply, that does make me feel more reassured.

I've applied for environmental science, do you know if this is an overly subscribed course, or if anyone on the course got accepted with loser grades?

Thanks! :smile:

I've applied for environmental science, do you know if this is an overly subscribed course, or if anyone on the course got accepted with loser grades?

Hi,

As we offer a variety of environmental science based courses I would assume that the numbers for intake are relatively high.

However, we do not have access to that sort of information so you may wish to contact the general admissions team on the following email address: [email protected]
Or the department's own admissions team on this email: [email protected]

As Sophie said, try your best not to worry and enjoy the summer.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

Dan :smile:
First Year Student Ambassador
(edited 6 years ago)

Hi

I might be able to help a little more about Environmental Science. I am a Geography student so Envi Sci is the same department as me. I've just finished second year and in my year group there are roughly 20 dedicated Environmental Science students, so it is actually quite a small course. However, a majority of your lectures will be combined with other Geography students, mainly physical, so you won't be in small groups very often!

From the two people I know that are studying Environmental Science, one hit the grades required and the other dropped short by one grade. Obviously it changes between years depending on demand for the course and the grades that other candidates get but I'm sure that information is worth knowing.

Any questions about the course etc. just ask! And like everybody else said, do enjoy your summer as much as possible and I'm sure Results Day will go smoothly.

Ben :smile:
Second Year Human and Physical Geography
Reply 7
Hello,

How does ucas extra work? Im thinking about next year. If i decline them all or reject them all or both ways can i still go through extra?
Original post by UniofReading
Hi

I might be able to help a little more about Environmental Science. I am a Geography student so Envi Sci is the same department as me. I've just finished second year and in my year group there are roughly 20 dedicated Environmental Science students, so it is actually quite a small course. However, a majority of your lectures will be combined with other Geography students, mainly physical, so you won't be in small groups very often!

From the two people I know that are studying Environmental Science, one hit the grades required and the other dropped short by one grade. Obviously it changes between years depending on demand for the course and the grades that other candidates get but I'm sure that information is worth knowing.

Any questions about the course etc. just ask! And like everybody else said, do enjoy your summer as much as possible and I'm sure Results Day will go smoothly.

Ben :smile:
Second Year Human and Physical Geography

Hi,

That's really helpful, thankyou! It sounds quite nice that its quite a small course actually, easier to make friends.
This will put my mind at rest for now, and I'll try and enjoy my holidays, and we'll see what'll happen on results day :smile:

Thanks!
Original post by MKaur18
How does ucas extra work? Im thinking about next year. If i decline them all or reject them all or both ways can i still go through extra?

Hi, so basically you can only go through Extra if all the Uni's you have applied for have rejected you, or if you decline all your offers.
You cannot go through extra even if you have 1 offer still standing.
Once you have no offers there will be a button at the top of your UCAS page that will say 'Extra' and you click this to apply to the Uni' courses available, which is mostly all of them.
In my case I applied to 5 Uni's, received offers from all of them, then decided to decline all of them and go through Extra for Reading. Quite scary actually!
You can only select 1 uni course in extra, so that's why I don't have an insurance.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions, or I haven't explained something clearly, just ask away! :smile:
Hi, so basically you can only go through Extra if all the Uni's you have applied for have rejected you, or if you decline all your offers.
You cannot go through extra even if you have 1 offer still standing.
Once you have no offers there will be a button at the top of your UCAS page that will say 'Extra' and you click this to apply to the Uni' courses available, which is mostly all of them.
In my case I applied to 5 Uni's, received offers from all of them, then decided to decline all of them and go through Extra for Reading. Quite scary actually!
You can only select 1 uni course in extra, so that's why I don't have an insurance.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions, or I haven't explained something clearly, just ask away! :smile:

Crumbs!! So there is no insurance. Omg... i'd feel soo scared.. worst case if u dont get ur offers from the conditional in xtra u go to clearing on results day n choose right?
Original post by MKaur18
Crumbs!! So there is no insurance. Omg... i'd feel soo scared.. worst case if u dont get ur offers from the conditional in xtra u go to clearing on results day n choose right?

I know right, that's why was really paranoid and started this thread :redface: But yeah, if you don't get accepted to the Uni you picked in Extra, you can go through clearing on results day for other courses.
I'm going for Oxford Brookes through clearance if I don't get in to Reading, but hopefully it wont come to that!
I know right, that's why was really paranoid and started this thread :redface: But yeah, if you don't get accepted to the Uni you picked in Extra, you can go through clearing on results day for other courses.
I'm going for Oxford Brookes through clearance if I don't get in to Reading, but hopefully it wont come to that!

Still... very stressful.. many people rushing for placesss
Original post by MKaur18
Still... very stressful.. many people rushing for placesss

Yeah, but you just need to keep positive. If worst comes to worst you can re-take a year or subject and reapply next year, which wouldn't be the end of the world.
Either way you just got to take it in your stride!
Yeah, but you just need to keep positive. If worst comes to worst you can re-take a year or subject and reapply next year, which wouldn't be the end of the world.
Either way you just got to take it in your stride!

Id rather not waste the year. Ygm? I don't want to mess about. My gap year would be pointless personally
Original post by MKaur18
Id rather not waste the year. Ygm? I don't want to mess about. My gap year would be pointless personally

Yeah I get you.You'll just have to work super f##king hard then in your exams. I just have to hope I've done well enough
Hi all,

To, hopefully, put your minds at ease a little with regards to clearing. I have quite a few friends that went through clearing to come to both Reading and other universities and they have all been very happy with where they ended up.
Although it may not seem like the ideal option, clearing can provide opportunities, courses and universities that you may have not previously considered that will be great for you.

I know this is a stressful time, but do your best to stay positive. I hope exams have gone well!

If there's anything university related that we can help with, let us know.

Dan :smile:
First Year Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending