The Student Room Group

AEA Preparation Thread 30 June 2017

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE="LaurenLovesMaths;72513206"]
Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM

I really hope they do😂 I can't believe I got it right - I did it in a different way to you too, which kind of worries me in case they do just think my answer is wrong... I'm sure you'll be fine because your method is good

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I was really careful to write everything out very neatly, show clear methods and explain everything I did (esp. why I rejected some solutions eg in last question) for those 7 "clarity and style" marks
[QUOTE="K-Man_PhysCheM;72513364"]
Original post by LaurenLovesMaths

Yeah, I was really careful to write everything out very neatly, show clear methods and explain everything I did (esp. why I rejected some solutions eg in last question) for those 7 "clarity and style" marks

Yeah I did the same. I sat STEP too so do that kinda thing automatically now haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="LaurenLovesMaths;72513428"]

Yeah I did the same. I sat STEP too so do that kinda thing automatically now haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

You sat STEP? AEA must be easy then! I'm in year 12, so I might sit STEP next year, but I would rather study physics/chemistry than maths at university so probably won't need STEP. Good luck with both!!
[QUOTE="K-Man_PhysCheM;72513518"]

You sat STEP? AEA must be easy then! I'm in year 12, so I might sit STEP next year, but I would rather study physics/chemistry than maths at university so probably won't need STEP. Good luck with both!!

Yeah I sat STEP 1, which was a lot harder haha. STEP requires a lot of preparation and patience so if you don't need it I wouldn't see it. & thank you, good luck to you too :smile:

Also it's pretty impressive to sit AEA in year 12, I'm guessing you've done all of A2 maths in year 12?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A Slice of Pi
Glad to see people in general enjoyed it. I'll post an unofficial mark scheme and predicted boundaries when I can get hold of the paper. If anyone has a copy they can get some pictures of and PM to me I can get started.

Thank you! Think I ****ed up the middle but the beginning and end was amazing LMAO
[QUOTE="LaurenLovesMaths;72513560"]

Yeah I sat STEP 1, which was a lot harder haha. STEP requires a lot of preparation and patience so if you don't need it I wouldn't see it. & thank you, good luck to you too :smile:

Also it's pretty impressive to sit AEA in year 12, I'm guessing you've done all of A2 maths in year 12?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds like good advice tbh. Our maths department gave us a booklet of STEP questions after AEA to look at over the summer, but I should probably get on with physics aptitude test prep/going through reading lists instead!

Yeah, at my school those who choose "further maths" are taught the whole A-level maths in year 12 and so we sat C1-C4 and S1+M1 this summer (though apparently the A-level won't be certificated until next summer, whatever that means). Next year we can choose to do AS-level or all of further maths: I'll probably keep to A2 further maths. They gave us the option of doing AEA early saying it can only be a good thing, and so I revised for C3/C4 with a mix of past paper and AEA (it meant this year's "hard" OCR C4 paper didn't feel too bad)
(edited 6 years ago)
[QUOTE="K-Man_PhysCheM;72513726"]

That sounds like good advice tbh. Our maths department gave us a booklet of STEP questions after AEA to look at over the summer, but I should probably get on with physics aptitude test prep/going through reading lists instead!

Yeah, at my school those who choose "further maths" are taught the whole A-level maths in year 12 and so we sat C1-C4 and S1+M1 this summer (though apparently the A-level won't be certificated until next summer, whatever that means). Next year we can choose to do AS-level or all of further maths: I'll probably keep to A2 further maths. They gave us the option of doing AEA early saying it can only be a good thing, and so I revised for C3/C4 with a mix of past paper and AEA (it meant this year's "hard" OCR C4 paper didn't feel too bad)

Ahh right that kinda makes sense, it gives you lots of extra prep time for STEP and AEA (if you sit them in year 13, that is). I couldn't start prep until January/February time because we had to finish C3&4 first

That sounds like a good plan. Which unis are you looking at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="LaurenLovesMaths;72513790"]

Ahh right that kinda makes sense, it gives you lots of extra prep time for STEP and AEA (if you sit them in year 13, that is). I couldn't start prep until January/February time because we had to finish C3&4 first

That sounds like a good plan. Which unis are you looking at?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the dream course for me would be physical Natural Sciences at Cambridge, so that I could keep both physics and chemistry (and maths) going to a high level, at least for the first year, though I guess if I really want to keep both I could do 'physics with chemistry' or 'physics and chemistry' degrees at other universities. I don't really like the idea of living in London, so those really good universities like UCL, Imperial etc... are probably out of the picture. Durham and Warwick look pretty good, and I know people who are studying sciences there at the moment and enjoying their courses. Bristol Uni would be a good reserve, but unfortunately I live in Bristol and so don't really want to apply there. Lancaster and Southampton look solid, (and the Lancaster physics course actually looks really interesting) but I would prefer to get into Warwick/Durham/Cambridge. We'll see how admissions go next year!

What unis did you apply to/get offers from, if you don't mind me asking?
[QUOTE="K-Man_PhysCheM;72513964"]

I think the dream course for me would be physical Natural Sciences at Cambridge, so that I could keep both physics and chemistry (and maths) going to a high level, at least for the first year, though I guess if I really want to keep both I could do 'physics with chemistry' or 'physics and chemistry' degrees at other universities. I don't really like the idea of living in London, so those really good universities like UCL, Imperial etc... are probably out of the picture. Durham and Warwick look pretty good, and I know people who are studying sciences there at the moment and enjoying their courses. Bristol Uni would be a good reserve, but unfortunately I live in Bristol and so don't really want to apply there. Lancaster and Southampton look solid, (and the Lancaster physics course actually looks really interesting) but I would prefer to get into Warwick/Durham/Cambridge. We'll see how admissions go next year!

What unis did you apply to/get offers from, if you don't mind me asking?

Ooh very nice! I didn't like London either and Oxbridge just wasn't for me. My top choice is Warwick! I applied to Warwick, Birmingham, Nottingham, Durham and Manchester (all for straight maths) and have firmed Warwick and insured Birmingham :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="LaurenLovesMaths;72514014"]

Ooh very nice! I didn't like London either and Oxbridge just wasn't for me. My top choice is Warwick! I applied to Warwick, Birmingham, Nottingham, Durham and Manchester (all for straight maths) and have firmed Warwick and insured Birmingham :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, Warwick does look really good; now just the wait 'til results day... enjoy the summer!
[QUOTE="K-Man_PhysCheM;72514158"]

Yeah, Warwick does look really good; now just the wait 'til results day... enjoy the summer!

Thank you, you too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="LaurenLovesMaths;72514440"]

Thank you, you too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any predictions for what a distinction would be?
Reply 92
Do we have to do something to make sure unis get our result or do they get them automatically like with A levels?
Original post by joodaa
Do we have to do something to make sure unis get our result or do they get them automatically like with A levels?

I think they get them automatically - they're on the same results slip as A Levels. I know for STEP it's different, and you're told that at the exam. I wasn't told anything today so I assume the unis get them automatically (not 100% sure though)

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="Redcoats;72515416"]

Any predictions for what a distinction would be?

Hopefully not too high but I think the boundaries will be higher than last year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
I think they get them automatically - they're on the same results slip as A Levels. I know for STEP it's different, and you're told that at the exam. I wasn't told anything today so I assume the unis get them automatically (not 100% sure though)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah alrightio cheers my lady
[QUOTE="LaurenLovesMaths;72516652"]
Original post by Redcoats

Hopefully not too high but I think the boundaries will be higher than last year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any notion of a range?
[QUOTE="Redcoats;72516830"]

Any notion of a range?

I don't want to jinx it haha

Maybe about 74-77?

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="LaurenLovesMaths;72516912"]
Original post by Redcoats

I don't want to jinx it haha

Maybe about 74-77?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you think you got?
[QUOTE="Redcoats;72516946"]

What do you think you got?

Again, really don't want to jinx it😂 but, providing that the examiner knows my answer to Q4c is the same but in a grosser form, I think/hope I've done all the questions pretty well

What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending