The Student Room Group
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website

What's Lincoln like as a city? & How is uni life for you?

Hey! I'm considering going to Lincoln for uni this September, and was just wondering what the city is like. To the students there, do you enjoy living there? Is it a nice with a fair amount to do? And of course, how are you finding the university yourself??

Thanks! X
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by beccacylx
Hey! I'm considering going to Lincoln for uni this September, and was just wondering what the city is like. To the students there, do you enjoy living there? Is it a nice with a fair amount to do? And of course, how are you finding the university yourself??

Thanks! X

Hey, I'm just finishing first year at uni and I lived in the largest student accommodation block - Pavilions. Lincoln is great because you can walk anywhere - literally anywhere. You don't need a car and there's loads of taxis and public transport if you don't fancy walking. The city feels very safe, I'm originally from Sheffield so I was used to a loud bustling city before coming to Lincoln, but Lincoln is so pretty and I honestly haven't met any 'unfriendly' people yet. :smile:
Best thing to do is to visit the city for yourself - I went before coming here with my family to check it out. I love living in Lincoln, my accommodation was great for meeting new people and we can literally walk back to our flats after nights out without worrying about getting taxis :smile:
There's quite a lot to do, there's plenty of shops in and out of the main town centre (fashion including waterside shopping centre, homeware, food, charityshops, quirky shops, etc), a cinema, loads of bars and pubs, there's events on at the uni quite often, parks and grassy areas to chill with your friends, a castle and a cathedral... honestly the list is endless. I've never found myself with nothing to do!
I'm doing a life sciences course so I have quite a busy timetable, and I'm also a student course rep, but everyone seems to love it, I don't know anyone who has dropped out and we literally can't wait to spend the next few years here! I literally wouldn't have chosen any other uni over this, I was apprehensive when I first came because I didn't know what to expect, but I've fallen in love with the place!
Feel free to DM me if you want to chat about it because I'm happy to help! :smile:
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by EmEternal2
Hey, I'm just finishing first year at uni and I lived in the largest student accommodation block - Pavilions. Lincoln is great because you can walk anywhere - literally anywhere. You don't need a car and there's loads of taxis and public transport if you don't fancy walking. The city feels very safe, I'm originally from Sheffield so I was used to a loud bustling city before coming to Lincoln, but Lincoln is so pretty and I honestly haven't met any 'unfriendly' people yet. :smile:
Best thing to do is to visit the city for yourself - I went before coming here with my family to check it out. I love living in Lincoln, my accommodation was great for meeting new people and we can literally walk back to our flats after nights out without worrying about getting taxis :smile:
There's quite a lot to do, there's plenty of shops in and out of the main town centre (fashion including waterside shopping centre, homeware, food, charityshops, quirky shops, etc), a cinema, loads of bars and pubs, there's events on at the uni quite often, parks and grassy areas to chill with your friends, a castle and a cathedral... honestly the list is endless. I've never found myself with nothing to do!
I'm doing a life sciences course so I have quite a busy timetable, and I'm also a student course rep, but everyone seems to love it, I don't know anyone who has dropped out and we literally can't wait to spend the next few years here! I literally wouldn't have chosen any other uni over this, I was apprehensive when I first came because I didn't know what to expect, but I've fallen in love with the place!
Feel free to DM me if you want to chat about it because I'm happy to help! :smile:

Hey! Thanks so much for the response:smile: I've been to the city before but I mainly stuck around the uni and didn't venture far. I think I'll need to go there again and check it out, by the sound of things the city & uni sounds lovely! What was freshers week like for you?? For accommodation I was looking at Brayford quay and pavillions, I'm thinking of studying nursing so need a longer contract than most, which accommodation do you think is the best? :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by beccacylx
Hey! Thanks so much for the response:smile: I've been to the city before but I mainly stuck around the uni and didn't venture far. I think I'll need to go there again and check it out, by the sound of things the city & uni sounds lovely! What was freshers week like for you?? For accommodation I was looking at Brayford quay and pavillions, I'm thinking of studying nursing so need a longer contract than most, which accommodation do you think is the best? :smile:

Yes, I visited Lincoln twice before living here just to check out the local area and get familiar with it, but I'd been to the xmas market prior to that :smile:
Freshers week for me mainly consisted of a lot of flat parties in my own accommodation block, as well as going to other places such as Courts and Hayes Wharf accommodations. The Engine Shed (student events place) had lots on and so did many other bars and nightclubs around the city. Freshers week is literally so great to meet new people and the events are some of the best of the year. I can't wait for freshers week this september either! (I think I'll be doing it for all 4 years I'm here for!) Since I didn't know anyone before coming to Lincoln, I started my freshers week off going around other flats with the 5 girls who lived with me - and from then on, I met so many new people everyday that I still hang out with now.
Regarding accommodation, I've not been to Brayford Quay (and I don't know much about it either) but I can tell you about Pavilions and that might help you decide. Amongst many students here, Pavilions is considered 'the place to be' in first year purely because it's so conveniently located, so big, and so social. I'm also staying here next year because it's so close to my lectures and labs! Many details of the accommodation you can find out on their own sites, but Pavilions (or Pavs as it's nicknamed by students) is a good choice. People who have visited my flat from other accommodations have said how nice it is compared to other places, and the maintenance men always get things fixed really quickly in my experience, the costcutter located onsite is good too, and morrisons is literally a 5 min walk away. Plus, the staff are great and so are the security guards (who, let's face it, probably have to deal with a lot of drunk behaviour!) :smile:

Also, I'll add that one of the girls I've lived with did Nursing so she had chosen pavilions too and loved it!
(edited 7 years ago)
hi,

Does anyone know what Lincoln Courts are like? I'm hoping to get accommodation there! Also... how much do you think freshers at Lincoln costs and did you buy a wristband/all the tickets in advance or stuff just on the day?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 5
I will be staying at pavilions for my first year in September as well, I still haven't visited Lincoln but will hopefully be doing that during July.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bhfn
I will be staying at pavilions for my first year in September as well, I still haven't visited Lincoln but will hopefully be doing that during July.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I heard pavilions is a good accommodation! What will you be studying? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Joe Pearson
I heard pavilions is a good accommodation! What will you be studying? :smile:

I'll be doing Accounting & finance, you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bhfn
I'll be doing Accounting & finance, you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going to be doing CompSci - should be good tbf, except the maths maybe :P Freshers will be sick too! :smile:
Reply 9
I'm going to be doing CompSci - should be good tbf, except the maths maybe :P Freshers will be sick too! :smile:

That sounds good, yeah I agree. I've met a few computer science students on the Facebook pages/chats as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bhfn
That sounds good, yeah I agree. I've met a few computer science students on the Facebook pages/chats as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh really? I can't find any of the subject chats - I've found the freshers/accommodation chats but not the subjects :/
Reply 11
Oh really? I can't find any of the subject chats - I've found the freshers/accommodation chats but not the subjects :/

I could add you on Facebook and get you added to the CS group chat, assuming it's your TSR username?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bhfn
I could add you on Facebook and get you added to the CS group chat, assuming it's your TSR username?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, can do! Yeah, my Facebook stuff is the same as my TSR name and the profile picture should be the same too

Quick Reply

Latest