The Student Room Group

criminology personal statement help

hi - my 1st draft needs to be in for tomorrow and i am really struggling with it. i do not know what to include or how to start it off. please help!!!
Original post by rebeccael28
hi - my 1st draft needs to be in for tomorrow and i am really struggling with it. i do not know what to include or how to start it off. please help!!!

Hi I would like to help but could you give me a little more information. Is this a personal statement for college/uni ?
Original post by evalilyXOX
Hi I would like to help but could you give me a little more information. Is this a personal statement for college/uni ?

hi yes it is for uni! i have decided to go with the law side. so my options are:

law
law with criminology
law with media studies
hi yes it is for uni! i have decided to go with the law side. so my options are:

law
law with criminology
law with media studies

Ok cool ! Okay so when I was writing my personal statement I split it into several different sections...
1. My understanding of the law: I just wrote a sentence explaining my understanding of the importance of the law. This isn't necessary but it can be nice to demonstrate your appreciation for the system of law and its fundamental importance to the functioning of society.
2. Why Law: I used the example of the Meredith Kercher murder trials back in 2008 as the example of when my interest in law began.
3. Subject choices: I explained how my subject choices for my highers and advanced highers would help me study law at university. e.g. writing dissertations and the independent study that was involved in my s6 subjects.
4. Work experience: This isn't necessary but i included it as i did undertake work experience in a legal firm and so i explained how this exposed me to the work of a solicitor and helped me to develop an appreciation for the application of law in an everyday context.
5. Extra-curricular activities: I did debating, charity work, school newspaper, vice captain etc and related that into why it was important for me to juggle my social life and other things with my academic work. It shows that you are willing to get involved in the university community.

They were the basic points i included in mine but obviously everyone is different and will prioritise certain points over others.
As long as it is well written, and sounds genuine then I am sure it will be fine.
Ok cool ! Okay so when I was writing my personal statement I split it into several different sections...
1. My understanding of the law: I just wrote a sentence explaining my understanding of the importance of the law. This isn't necessary but it can be nice to demonstrate your appreciation for the system of law and its fundamental importance to the functioning of society.
2. Why Law: I used the example of the Meredith Kercher murder trials back in 2008 as the example of when my interest in law began.
3. Subject choices: I explained how my subject choices for my highers and advanced highers would help me study law at university. e.g. writing dissertations and the independent study that was involved in my s6 subjects.
4. Work experience: This isn't necessary but i included it as i did undertake work experience in a legal firm and so i explained how this exposed me to the work of a solicitor and helped me to develop an appreciation for the application of law in an everyday context.
5. Extra-curricular activities: I did debating, charity work, school newspaper, vice captain etc and related that into why it was important for me to juggle my social life and other things with my academic work. It shows that you are willing to get involved in the university community.

They were the basic points i included in mine but obviously everyone is different and will prioritise certain points over others.
As long as it is well written, and sounds genuine then I am sure it will be fine.

assuming you took law - how many on average lectures and tutorials did you have a week? i know it is different for different unis and courses but just an average?
assuming you took law - how many on average lectures and tutorials did you have a week? i know it is different for different unis and courses but just an average?

At my university, each semester I took on average 3/4 subjects each with roughly 3 lectures per week. On top of that i would have 1 tutorial per subject occurring every fortnight for 1-2 hours.
So basically there was for me little time actually spent in class and more time for independent study.

I am going into my final year in September and I will have 6 hours of seminars per week. But that doesn't mean that you have lots of free time as the reading requirements can be really extensive.
At my university, each semester I took on average 3/4 subjects each with roughly 3 lectures per week. On top of that i would have 1 tutorial per subject occurring every fortnight for 1-2 hours.
So basically there was for me little time actually spent in class and more time for independent study.

I am going into my final year in September and I will have 6 hours of seminars per week. But that doesn't mean that you have lots of free time as the reading requirements can be really extensive.

wow! in the course i am looking into it is 2 hours of lectures each week with an hour long tutorial every fortnight along with reading and research in the library. I don't know if that is a good thing or bad?
wow! in the course i am looking into it is 2 hours of lectures each week with an hour long tutorial every fortnight along with reading and research in the library. I don't know if that is a good thing or bad?

Are you sure it is 2 hours per week for the degree or per subject within the degree ?

Yeah unlike science degrees, us law student have very little contact time with teachers/lecturers and our time is spent reading horrendously long cases in the library :biggrin:
Are you sure it is 2 hours per week for the degree or per subject within the degree ?

Yeah unlike science degrees, us law student have very little contact time with teachers/lecturers and our time is spent reading horrendously long cases in the library :biggrin:

yes it is for the degree which I find weird!
yes it is for the degree which I find weird!

Wow that is weird ! Especially if you are paying for uni, you would want more time spent actually being taught as opposed to trying to teach yourself

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending