The Student Room Group

How long does it take to process a provisional licence?

Hi guys. I've sent it off with my 2 identifications. How long will it take till i get it back? Also, when should i book my lessons? Any recommendations for companies around west midlands or uk?

Also, how long does it take to pass if i do it in the summer (maybe 2hrs a week... i may push it to 3-4)? What do people recommend?

When should i do my theory? And how long can i leave it after doing my theory to do my practical? 1 yr? 2 months?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by MKaur18
Hi guys. I've sent it off with my 2 identifications. How long will it take till i get it back? Also, when should i book my lessons? Any recommendations for companies around west midlands or uk?

Also, how long does it take to pass if i do it in the summer (maybe 2hrs a week... i may push it to 3-4)? What do people recommend?

When should i do my theory? And how long can i leave it after doing my theory to do my practical? 1 yr? 2 months?

It's normally a couple of weeks getting it back.

Time taken to pass varies massively by individual, depends if you have decent hand eye coordination and a bit of spacial awareness. I liked 2 hour sessions twice a week, I had the time and the money so made sense to.

Your instructor will give you materials (usually) for your theory. It's better to wait a while to get it done as you'll pick up a lot of the knowledge on it whilst driving.

Theory test certificates are valid for two years from the date you passed. If you do not pass your practical test within this two year period, you will have to take another theory test.
Reply 2
Original post by Tubbz
It's normally a couple of weeks getting it back.

Time taken to pass varies massively by individual, depends if you have decent hand eye coordination and a bit of spacial awareness. I liked 2 hour sessions twice a week, I had the time and the money so made sense to.

Your instructor will give you materials (usually) for your theory. It's better to wait a while to get it done as you'll pick up a lot of the knowledge on it whilst driving.

Oh right okay... time isn't a big issue if i can get it done in the summer... how long (hours or weeks) did it take for you to pass? Will 6 weeks of 4 hrs be long enough?? 😶😶 my spacial awareness is crap for parking but im good with hand eye coord.
Reply 3
Original post by MKaur18
Oh right okay... time isn't a big issue if i can get it done in the summer... how long (hours or weeks) did it take for you to pass? Will 6 weeks of 4 hrs be long enough?? 😶😶 my spacial awareness is crap for parking but im good with hand eye coord.

It's the manoeuvres that tend to sting most people (although I don't know what is still involved in the test now) and that's where your spacial awareness comes in.

I was about 16 weeks, but it really depends on how long it takes to get your theory test passed and your practical test booked.
Reply 4
Original post by Tubbz
It's the manoeuvres that tend to sting most people (although I don't know what is still involved in the test now) and that's where your spacial awareness comes in.

I was about 16 weeks, but it really depends on how long it takes to get your theory test passed and your practical test booked.

Im thinking of booking my theory in the summer and practical whenever im done...
Reply 5
Up to four weeks. Any longer, and you should ring the DVLA to find out what's delaying it.

It is a busy time at the moment, though.
Reply 6
Original post by IWMTom
Up to four weeks. Any longer, and you should ring the DVLA to find out what's delaying it.

It is a busy time at the moment, though.

Yeah that's true. But for £40.. they should still be able to do it. Considering we pay postsge fees etc etc 🤔🤔😒
Reply 7
Original post by MKaur18
Yeah that's true. But for £40.. they should still be able to do it. Considering we pay postsge fees etc etc 🤔🤔😒

The DVLA - like all government services - is ridiculously underfunded. They don't have the resources to turn around applications faster than this during peak times.
Reply 8
Original post by IWMTom
The DVLA - like all government services - is ridiculously underfunded. They don't have the resources to turn around applications faster than this during peak times.

Fair enough.. yeah tbh im not surpised.. Mp wages going up but public funding going down... where is this money actually going??
Reply 9
Original post by MKaur18
Fair enough.. yeah tbh im not surpised.. Mp wages going up but public funding going down... where is this money actually going??

Paying scientists to develop a magic money tree
Basically, I applied online and apparently it takes up to 1 week- well, no, because my licence arrived in about 3 weeks (roughly same time as sending off via postal). This is mainly because I had to send off 2 passport sized photos with my application a week later when I received a form asking for additional verification of my ID.

Secondly, I think you should take your theory test as soon as possible. I'm taking it on my 17th birthday, which is in 6 days and I'm preparing like mad using the official DVSA app. It's all about personal preference and on what your learning ability is. You may want to take your theory test much later than your birthday because you may not be ready OR you want to focus on lessons. Whatever your heart tells you, do it.

For lessons, people pass with less than 10. Some take up to 40-50. Again, this is dependant on your learning ability. I recommend you take 1.5 hours a week, or 2 (maximum, which I'm planning to do). When you take a few lessons with the instructor you have decided, then you can ask he/she roughly how many lessons it will take for you to pass your practical driving test.

Even better, your driving instructor will help you revise/prepare for your theory test if you haven't passed. The #1 thing they recommend is the official DVSA app for mobile devices since it actually helps, or you can get CDs or a hard copy of the book.

Good luck and I hope all goes well. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by mrwhitz
Basically, I applied online and apparently it takes up to 1 week- well, no, because my licence arrived in about 3 weeks (roughly same time as sending off via postal). This is mainly because I had to send off 2 passport sized photos with my application a week later when I received a form asking for additional verification of my ID.

Everyone who doesn't have a UK passport has to do this... how else would they get a photo? The turnaround for new applications is up to 3 weeks.
Original post by IWMTom
Everyone who doesn't have a UK passport has to do this... how else would they get a photo? The turnaround for new applications is up to 3 weeks.

No, I had an adult passport and I still had to do this. I inputted the passport number as well
Reply 13
Original post by mrwhitz
No, I had an adult passport and I still had to do this. I inputted the passport number as well

You must have done something wrong, or the photograph on your passport is ridiculously out of date.
Original post by IWMTom
You must have done something wrong, or the photograph on your passport is ridiculously out of date.

Not really, my new passport was issued in January of this year. The only thing I didn't fill in was the NI number because of a name issue, which I'm sure you must recall from my previous thread.
Reply 15
Original post by mrwhitz
Not really, my new passport was issued in January of this year. The only thing I didn't fill in was the NI number because of a name issue, which I'm sure you must recall from my previous thread.

There you go then, they couldn't verify your identity. That's why you had to fill out the form.
Alright.. I understand that. However, I think its a bit weird they still needed my photographs even though I gave them my passport information
Reply 17
Original post by mrwhitz
Alright.. I understand that. However, I think its a bit weird they still needed my photographs even though I gave them my passport information

If they can't validate your identity, they can't use your passport to retrieve data from.
Original post by IWMTom
If they can't validate your identity, they can't use your passport to retrieve data from.

Ok. Thanks
I did my application online and I had to fill out two medical forms and contact my doctors so they could report back to the dvla, but I've been waiting quite a while for my provisional to come. I'm just so eager to drive now.

Quick Reply