The Student Room Group

Notnek learns stats

So I've been avoiding stats ever since I did S1 and S2 in Further Maths. But now stats is a compulsory part of A Level, it's probably time for me to revisit it and eventually be in a position to teach it.

I'll be learning the stats content from the new Edexcel A Level maths. If I have any questions while I relearn everything then I'll probably post here - who knows I may not have any questions but I think this is unlikely! It's a quiet time on TSR and stats questions are never popular so I may not always get answers to all my questions. But any help will be greatly appreciated.

I think most teacher/tutors would be apprehensive about making a thread like this and I'm probably the first to do it. But I can't think of a better place to get help :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Notnek
So I've been avoiding stats ever since I did S1 and S2 in Further Maths. But now stats is a compulsory part of A Level, it's probably time for me to revisit it and eventually be in a position to teach it.

I'll be learning the stats content from the new Edexcel A Level maths. If I have any questions while I relearn everything then I'll probably post here - who knows I may not have any questions but I think this is unlikely! It's a quiet time on TSR and stats questions are never popular so I may not always get answers to all my questions. But any help will be greatly appreciated.

I think most teacher/tutors would be apprehensive about making a thread like this and I'm probably the first to do it. But I can't think of a better place to get help :smile:

Best of Luck.

I did S1 AQA and was hopeless at it. I just didn't get it at all. BUT a challenge came up when the new syllabus was launched. I'm going through the AS for AQA and it's not going too well - my ability/enjoyment of statistics has not improved in my sleep! There's far less to learn (yeah!) - or so it appears from the number of pages in the Stats section but there is some completely new stuff on Hypothesis Testing.

Thank goodness for TSR as the book I'm using is not good for self teachers. I'm currently getting really good help so I bet you will too.
Reply 2
Original post by maggiehodgson
Best of Luck.

I did S1 AQA and was hopeless at it. I just didn't get it at all. BUT a challenge came up when the new syllabus was launched. I'm going through the AS for AQA and it's not going too well - my ability/enjoyment of statistics has not improved in my sleep! There's far less to learn (yeah!) - or so it appears from the number of pages in the Stats section but there is some completely new stuff on Hypothesis Testing.

Thank goodness for TSR as the book I'm using is not good for self teachers. I'm currently getting really good help so I bet you will too.

Thank you :biggrin:

I've been telling people for years how to learn maths so hopefully I can put some of it into practice.

I wish you the best of luck as you self-teach. Maybe eventually we'll be able to help each other :smile:
Original post by Notnek

There's no shame in asking for help no matter your level of education. Best of luck with learning this new topic.
Reply 4
PRSOM!
This should be fun!
Reply 6
Original post by Gregorius
This should be fun!

Not for me :smile:

But maybe I will become a stats lover by the end of this...
Reply 7
Original post by Notnek

I remember my Stats days (i.e last year)... I hated it. I was put off from it for an entire year and revised with a week to spare before the exam. Safe to say I got extremely lucky with my grade in S1.

Anyway, good luck!
Original post by Notnek
But maybe I will become a stats lover by the end of this...

You must not attempt this approach to statistics. I know this way to its very end. I have traversed this bottomless night, which extinguished all light and joy of my life. I entreat you, leave the science of statistics alone.

Actually there was this one guy I heard of who ended up liking stats, but he was clearly pretty weird. Ended up in York or somewhere, talking about design of experiments, and stuff like that. So let that be a lesson to us all.
it's normal to feel nervous Notnek. one man's meat is another man's poisson ...
Reply 10
Original post by atsruser
You must not attempt this approach to statistics. I know this way to its very end. I have traversed this bottomless night, which extinguished all light and joy of my life. I entreat you, leave the science of statistics alone.

Actually there was this one guy I heard of who ended up liking stats, but he was clearly pretty weird. Ended up in York or somewhere, talking about design of experiments, and stuff like that. So let that be a lesson to us all.

Thanks, I'm glad you're here. It's highly unlikely that stats will appeal to me but just in case it does, every night I'll surround myself with Mechanics textbooks, sit on an inclined plane and stretch some springs.
Original post by the bear

Ugh, that one was too fishy.
Reply 12
Original post by Notnek

Good luck, you can definitely do it! :smile:
Original post by Notnek
Thanks, I'm glad you're here. It's highly unlikely that stats will appeal to me but just in case it does, every night I'll surround myself with Mechanics textbooks, sit on an inclined plane and stretch some springs.

watch out for the friction :teehee:

You really know how to distribute puns 😂

Good luck @Notnek! I can totally relate...I was looking forward to a nice, peaceful life doing M1-3 and now the new linear spec comes along and says I have to do stats :frown: whyyy
a discreet pun now & then is quite acceptable. they should not become continuous.

Indeed. Of course, stats can be a mean subject, but there's also a lot of variance in teaching methods. The trials are many, and random: one moment, generating functions to solve a problem, at the next point, estimates of an answer can be troublesome. The Student, testing himself with ever trickier problems, may form the hypothesis that the subject is one in which he has no confidence. Intervals of time may pass, where he becomes tired, and build up his power by eating Kendall's mint cake.He may exhaust his finances, leaving himself but a residual sum. Of squares, the subject has little to say. There is more to say. Goodness! Of fitting curves he will learn much, ...

[continued page 94]
Indeed. Of course, stats can be a mean subject, but there's also a lot of variance in teaching methods. The trials are many, and random: one moment, generating functions to solve a problem, at the next point, estimates of an answer can be troublesome. The Student, testing himself with ever trickier problems, may form the hypothesis that the subject is one in which he has no confidence. Intervals of time may pass, where he becomes tired, and build up his power by eating Kendall's mint cake.He may exhaust his finances, leaving himself but a residual sum. Of squares, the subject has little to say. There is more to say. Goodness! Of fitting curves he will learn much, ...

[continued page 94]

Ho Ho Ho
Reply 18
a discreet pun now & then is quite acceptable. they should not become continuous.

Give me a few months and I'll be able to respond to this with an ingenious stats pun!

[continued page 94]

I wish you were my maths teacher

Quick Reply

Latest