The Student Room Group

CV format

Poll

How do you lay out your CV?

Generally when you write CVs do you put achievements, skills, knowledge and experience all in the employment/careee history section or do you have a separate section for achievements, skills, knowledge and experience?

What do you think the best way to lay it out is when the recruiter clearly specifies what they are looking for under 3 headings - skills, knowledge and experience?
(edited 6 years ago)
There is no separate skills section on a CV. All relevant skills will clearly shown in your experience.
Original post by Tomjar7
Generally when you write CVs do you put achievements, skills, knowledge and experience all in the employment/careee history section or do you have a separate section for achievements, skills, knowledge and experience?

What do you think the best way to lay it out is when the recruiter clearly specifies what they are looking for under 3 headings - skills, knowledge and experience?

The headings on your CV should be Education, Experience and Interests. If they are specifically relevant to the employer, then IT Skills, Lab Skills, and Volunteering are additional sections that can be used.

There should never, ever be a list of skills alone in a CV. As an employer this is one of the things you always ignore, like an opening profile. They are always self-fulfilling prophecies - a list of claims, rather than evidence.

Achievements carry much more weight if they are set at the end of the section they were gained in. So for example, if you were Employee of the Year, then you put in the 5 bullet points about the relevant skills you demonstrated in the job, and the 6th bullet point says Awarded Employee of the Year 2016 out of a team of 105

The fact the employer sets out Skills, Experience and Knowledge doesn't matter, you show them all in the same way, with bullet points, beginning with a relevant verb, and following up with the specific evidence of that skill/experience/action/applied knowledge etc.
Reply 3
I think a profile and objectives can help sometimes, if it's brief and uses words relevant to what the recruiter is looking for, if nothing else to convince the employer on first glance to not bin the CV.
Original post by Tomjar7
I think a profile and objectives can help sometimes, if it's brief and uses words relevant to what the recruiter is looking for, if nothing else to convince the employer on first glance to not bin the CV.

Seriously, you ask a question about the absolute basics of writing a CV but you are confident of your opinion about writing a profile? How many recruitment rounds have you run and how many people have you employed?

If you have anything less than a 5+ year established professional career in a single sector than a profile is always nothing more than self-fulfilling BS and the only use they have for an employer is comedy value.

The objective of a CV si to get the job you are applying for, that is implicit and doesn't need saying.
Reply 5
Original post by threeportdrift
Seriously, you ask a question about the absolute basics of writing a CV but you are confident of your opinion about writing a profile? How many recruitment rounds have you run and how many people have you employed?

If you have anything less than a 5+ year established professional career in a single sector than a profile is always nothing more than self-fulfilling BS and the only use they have for an employer is comedy value.

The objective of a CV si to get the job you are applying for, that is implicit and doesn't need saying.

I asked for peoples views as everyone takes different views on this. In my personal opinion, I don't think there is a correct way to write a CV. I've led recruitment rounds and from my experience, it is entirely subjective depending on who is looking at the CV and also varies by the recruitment guidelines set by the organisation. Sector, I think Is also a loose term as there are many overlaps and different people may define certain sectors differently. I also think that what is "self fulfilling BS" is also subjective. I have seen people with what One might class as "self fulfilling BS" on their CV still get hired into good positions. I don't think it's always a bad thing to have "self fulfilling BS" though. It proves confidence in their ability to talk about themselves and their relevant skills. By objective I meant career objective :smile:.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending