The Student Room Group

IB remarks questions - if you have any experience, please help :)

Hi! I am considering applying for remarking two of my exams (Psychology SL and English B HL). Do you have any experience with remarking these subjects or any in IB? How probable is it for the grade to change? Is it worth trying if I am more than one point off the higher grade?

Any sort of personal stories or opinions appreciated :smile:.
Reply 1
Hello... I would like to know what your experience was. Did you go for a remark finally?
Original post by yashvini
Hello... I would like to know what your experience was. Did you go for a remark finally?

Hi there :smile:

Have you spoken to your IB coordinator and asked for advice, they usually submit your remark for you so it's best to chat with them directly asap.

Hope you're ok :smile:
You would need to speak to your coordinator and possibly subject teachers to arrange it.

Your grade can go down as well as up, so there is a significant risk in asking for a remark just because you're near the boundary. Unless you have a specific reason to request one as your mark is SIGNIFICANTLY off what was expected, and/or you suspect there was an issue that affected everyones marks in that paper (incorrectly phrased questions for example) it's unlikely your grade will go up, and quite possible it will go down (either by a few marks, or if you're nearer the lower threshold, possibly an entire point).

Re-marking is there for these circumstances, where there is a clear discrepancy between your exam marks and your performance throughout the course, or where there is a genuine concern for a fault in the examination process. It's not there to try and scrape extra points because you nearly but didn't quite make your offer.

I don't mean to be brusque but it's important to appreciate the nature of how it works and that it's unlikely to benefit you in this circumstance. Additionally, depending on what is remarked, they may need to remark your entire cohort for that specific assessment - which may cause other people to lose marks and offers. As I described in the main results chat, this happened to a friend of my sisters (also my sister but it didn't affect her) in the year above me, and she lost her Medicine offer as a result. In fact, most of that cohort lost marks for that subject, and quite a few dropped a point as a result.
I sent in HL english and HL german for remarks and just got them back. I was 2 points off the next grade. English increased one grade but my german stayed the same. Honestly I feel like it's got a lot to do with luck, depends who examines them.
Reply 5
Hi shirazuend, I wonder how long it takes to get your remarks back.
Reply 6
Hi shirazuend, I wonder how long you need to wait for the remarks before you get it back as I am considering to get my econ HL and physics HL to remark, both one percent away from a seven.
Reply 7
Hi! Yup I did send my English, Math and Physics for remark. There was no change, however UCL accepted me anyways! So I just finished with my first year civil engineering. I must say for a course that sounded cool, it was not just as I expected. I would have rather taken mechanical engineering since I just discovered I am more interested in machines than buildings, so i dont know whether my admissions tutor will let me join mechanical engineering for second year. But yeah, if you have any questions, please feel free. Good luck with all your endeavours everyone, and thank you everyone who wrote down their previous experiences with a remark. I t didnt go well for me but I still ended up getting what I wanted, however at that point in time you do need advice. I would say go for it if you can afford it rather than regret it later, though there is no assurance it will yield. best wishes,yashvini

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending