The Student Room Group

Need help to convince parents to move school (VERY HARD)

Hello,
I am new to this website and I have come here assuming that it can help me. The problem is that I am so willing to change school. I go to school everyday, ending up in tears most lessons about my school. I think that the environment and the people around me are causing this. I want to convince my parents to let me change school but here is the dilema. I am currently at a Grammar School, which I obviously worked hard to get into, however I regret going to this school over a local comprehensive. It takes me an hour every day to get there and another hour to get back. I am really willing to change school but it seems very hard to make my parents do this. The local school is down the road. I am in Year 9 and I have GCSEs coming up and I don' want to mess these up so can anyone help?
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ppp12345
Hello,
I am new to this website and I have come here assuming that it can help me. The problem is that I am so willing to change school. I go to school everyday, ending up in tears most lessons about my school. I think that the environment and the people around me are causing this. I want to convince my parents to let me change school but here is the dilema. I am currently at a Grammar School, which I obviously worked hard to get into, however I regret going to this school over a local comprehensive. It takes me an hour every day to get there and another hour to get back. I am really willing to change school but it seems very hard to make my parents do this. The local school is down the road. I am in Year 9 and I have GCSEs coming up and I don' want to mess these up so can anyone help?
Thanks

You're being silly, comprehensive schools are terrible!I went to one and had to self-teach myself the entire science course and maths course because the teaching was terrible and non-existent!You are privileged to go to a grammar school because comprehensive schools have some very rough people!Your issues might not be caused entirely by the school but by underlying issues such as anxiety,which you should get some treatment for.You think the grass is greener on the other side but it's not!If you move and regret it, then what will you do?!My advice is to stay!
Hello,
Thanks

Why do you think anything will get any better at a new school? Nasty people go to every school, you'd be more likely to get picked on for being 'the new kid' anyway. You wouldn't know any of the other students (who will all have their own friendship groups by now that you won't be able to get into, especially as your post implies you're not very popular where you are at the moment).
(edited 6 years ago)
I don't know about new GCSEs, but with the old ones you could safely move schools (in my opinion) up to Year 10. It is possible to switch at the end of Year 10, but that is right in the middle of the 2 year GCSE course, so if you move schools now it wont affect them much which is good.

As for persuading your parents, tell them everything you find wrong. Assure them you will do better both emotionally (and academically as a result?) at a new school. If worst comes to worst, make it visible to them how much you are suffering so they will have no choice but to give in, if it is that important to you.
Do not move schools. When I went to (comprehensive) sixth form there were 2 people from grammar schools.

One of them had 10A* at GCSE and went on to get above average but not brilliant A levels. Another guy got A/B average and failed first year, managed to resit and did ok second time round. I'm almost certain they wouldn't of got the same GCSE results at a comprehensive/would have got much better A levels if they stayed at the grammar.

Then and again if you're really stressed out there moving may be best I'd think about it INCREDIBLY carefully.
Reply 5
You need to think hard before making this choice. Weigh up the pros and cons of both ideas before deciding fully. You need to consider what is best for you in the future, and what it is that makes you want to move schools? Is it the academic pressure? Friendship issues? Do you have anyone to talk to about this, like a school counselor or something?I attended a grammar school from Year Seven onwards and am currently in Year Twelve. Some things to consider:Would you benefit in the long run going to a comp i.e. do you have access to better teaching and opportunities that might not be available at other schools?Would you be willing to uproot the foundations you made at your current school to start over at the comp?Would you enjoy attending the comp, or are you merely looking at it due to lack of options?Good luck, and I hope you come to a good decision :smile:
Reply 6
You guys dont understand how dodgy the school is. I just need some arguments that can help me go to another school. I personally hate the school that I am at right now.
You guys dont understand how dodgy the school is. I just need some arguments that can help me go to another school. I personally hate the school that I am at right now.

Why do you hate it?

Is it the students or teachers?
If you REALLY want to move just show your parents what happens at school and tell them the truth.
as hard as it may be for you, i would say just stick it out. i was in a very similar situation to you, however as cliché as it sounds school does eventually end up getting better, and even if it doesn't, you only have two years left anyway. i also go to a (dodgy) grammar school and whilst the school itself is not ideal, and the journey is quite long, it's the best school in my area and it's safe to say the teaching at pretty much any grammar school are better than the comprehensives. if you move school because of friendship issues, you'll likely have the same problem at a different school if you join in year 10 as you'd be new, and the cycle would just continue. if you really want to move, just explain the situation to your parents, if they don't want you to move because it's a grammar school explore other alternatives like schools in the surrounding area (idk if it's the same with your school but there are about 5 other grammar schools all in one area where i live) but if you want my honest opinion, it's probably best to just stay. you can move for sixth form
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
So, how do I bring it to my parents? I will find it hard.
Reply 11
Im going to school now anyways :frown:
So, how do I bring it to my parents? I will find it hard.

I think what people are getting at is what exactly is the problem? You're not being very descriptive and at the moment it looks like you have no reason to move. We can't come up with reasons if we don't know the story!
Reply 13
Original post by carrotstar
I think what people are getting at is what exactly is the problem? You're not being very descriptive and at the moment it looks like you have no reason to move. We can't come up with reasons if we don't know the story!

I really hate school and the people around me. I think if this carrys on, I will not do good in my GCSEs
Original post by Anonymous1502
You're being silly, comprehensive schools are terrible!I went to one and had to self-teach myself the entire science course and maths course because the teaching was terrible and non-existent!

That does not apply to all comprehensives. I went to a comprehensive (just finished year 11) and the teaching was very good - most people understood everything and we had plenty of time at the end for revision. You probably ended up with one of the worse examples.

Relating to the thread, the OP should find out what the comprehensive school is like - how good the teaching and GCSE results are.
The travel would be one key point. Point out you'll have more studying time if you're travelling less. And also more time to sleep potentially which is healthy.
If the results at the local comprehensive is good, then you can show them that you are likely to do just as well, but you'll also be happier.
Tell them bluntly how unhappy you are and that you just want a fresh start.
Point out this is basically the last opportunity to move without affecting your work severely.

Though one important thing to note is that many schools will have already started the GCSE content for year 9, so if your hasn't then you willl need to find out how much you need to catch up on (and prove to your parents you are happy to catch up with it if necessary)
Reply 16
Original post by Lemur14
The travel would be one key point. Point out you'll have more studying time if you're travelling less. And also more time to sleep potentially which is healthy.
If the results at the local comprehensive is good, then you can show them that you are likely to do just as well, but you'll also be happier.
Tell them bluntly how unhappy you are and that you just want a fresh start.
Point out this is basically the last opportunity to move without affecting your work severely.

Though one important thing to note is that many schools will have already started the GCSE content for year 9, so if your hasn't then you willl need to find out how much you need to catch up on (and prove to your parents you are happy to catch up with it if necessary)

Thanks, I will do
Original post by TheMindGarage
That does not apply to all comprehensives. I went to a comprehensive (just finished year 11) and the teaching was very good - most people understood everything and we had plenty of time at the end for revision. You probably ended up with one of the worse examples.

Relating to the thread, the OP should find out what the comprehensive school is like - how good the teaching and GCSE results are.

Mine was outstanding.
Reply 18
Original post by Anonymous1502
Mine was outstanding.

It is my risk and I will take it because I hate the school that I am currently at and I am really worried about my GCSEs.
It is my risk and I will take it because I hate the school that I am currently at and I am really worried about my GCSEs.

Suit yourself. I done my GCSE's so it's not my problem.Just gave you advice, you can take it or leave it.But I bet in that new comprehensive school you will be in the same situation or worse.

Latest