The Student Room Group

Are robots going to steal your job??!

Would you work for a robot boss? It seems like soon you won't have a choice... :adore:

With stories popping up about the first robot journalist writing its first article IN A SECOND (sorry whut?), humans may soon become obsolete...

A recent report from Young Enterprise showed that:

:eek: two thirds of young entrepreneurs are concerned that the rise of artificial intelligence in the workplace could impact job prospects

:eek: 76% of respondents believed fewer jobs would be available due to the use of robots in the workplace

:eek: 59% said they thought it would be harder to get a job that a robot could also do

:eek: When asked if they would accept a job working for a robot, 45% said yes whereas 55% said no.

Michael Mercieca, Chief Executive, Young Enterprise, commented:

“The rise of the robots will have a devastating impact on job prospects for young people who have not been equipped with basic work skills. It’s time to wake up and recognise education must extend beyond academia and properly prepare the next generation for the world of work with skills like communication, teamwork and creativity.”

Would you accept a job working for a robot boss?!

Do you think AI will affect your chance of jobs in the future?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by discobish
Would you work for a robot boss? It seems like soon you won't have a choice... :adore:

With stories popping up about the first robot journalist writing its first article IN A SECOND (sorry whut?), humans may soon become obsolete...

A recent report from Young Enterprise showed that:

:eek: two thirds of young entrepreneurs are concerned that the rise of artificial intelligence in the workplace could impact job prospects

:eek: 76% of respondents believed fewer jobs would be available due to the use of robots in the workplace

:eek: 59% said they thought it would be harder to get a job that a robot could also do

:eek: When asked if they would accept a job working for a robot, 45% said yes whereas 55% said no.

Michael Mercieca, Chief Executive, Young Enterprise, commented:

“The rise of the robots will have a devastating impact on job prospects for young people who have not been equipped with basic work skills. It’s time to wake up and recognise education must extend beyond academia and properly prepare the next generation for the world of work with skills like communication, teamwork and creativity.”

Would you accept a job working for a robot boss?!

Do you think AI will affect your chance of jobs in the future?

A good friend of mine is losing their job in October because the company is getting a computer to do their job for them. It's inevitable really, it will slowly happen, with more and more people losing their jobs to computers/robots because they can do tasks much faster than humans. Time is money after all.
Reply 2
Original post by mangatardallys
A good friend of mine is losing their job in October because the company is getting a computer to do their job for them. It's inevitable really, it will slowly happen, with more and more people losing their jobs to computers/robots because they can do tasks much faster than humans. Time is money after all.

That's pretty scary. What job did they do?
Reply 3
Have you ever heard of the halting problem? Its solution shows that computers can't solve every problem, so that means there will always be some jobs that are safe
Original post by Desmos
Have you ever heard of the halting problem? Its solution shows that computers can't solve every problem, so that means there will always be some jobs that are safe

Hairdressers are up there apparently
Original post by discobish
That's pretty scary. What job did they do?

It was a data entry job for a big company in an office.. it's not what they wanted to do for a career, but the money was good and it had good hours.
Reply 6
Original post by ChrisN
Hairdressers are up there apparently

Time for a change of career? :tongue:
I do quite a lot of design work so I'm not too worried.

However the unskilled labour market will be destroyed by robots.
The fear here is not whether robots/AI will take jobs away from humans, because they will, that's a fact, its already happening and has been for many years now. The real fear is whether our economy will migrate to a vastly different form, from where it currently is (money based economics) to a new system which compensates for this huge shift paradigm. The current economic model of full-time working which provides money which pays for resources and taxes/services no longer works when 50% or more of the population no longer have a job due to automation... What happens when 50%+ of the population will not have a job. Do they simply starve to death? Under the current economic system that is exactly what will happen.

There are some very serious ethical issues surrounding automation and artificial intelligence. While some professions will remain untouched for a while yet, it is the unskilled 'menial' tasks which will become the first to fall to automation. The reasons are obvious why companies are pushing for this technology. No sick days, no annual leave, robots can work 24/7/365 without breaks (periodic maintenance only) and most persuasive of all no salaries. Imagine a warehouse of workers stacking shelves, sending out packages, etc. All of that will be automated within the next 10 years, just look at the work Boston Dynamics are doing with robotics.

What can be done? In my view there are two views, either a global consensus to stop all research and development into automation, AI and robotics in order to maintain the current economic model. I don't think this is a good idea at all. Embrace the new technology, which has the potential to improve our own lives on earth, but come up with a new paradigm that moves away from money and the economics that goes with it. Put it like this, once we get into space we then open up to unlimited resources (fuel, raw materials, etc). We'd essentially migrate towards a 'Star Trek' style economic system, where there is no such thing as money because resources become so plentiful they essentially lose monetary value (because supply would be so high).

Just my views, probably wrong on every level and it's hard to explain exactly what I think about this. All I can think is that trying to legislate against this technology simply won't work. Like it or not (and to be honest I'm not thrilled at the prospect of AI and mass automation) I think it is inevitable. Therefore we should think of ways to embrace the technology for the best, rather than allow it to drown us all.
(edited 6 years ago)
Don't worry too much.

Companies are sleep walking into their own demise: with no-one working, who will buy the goods and services providing the money supply to maintain the equipment and make them profits? The rich will be forced to live behind barricades in a virtual prison of their own making. " Let them eat cake".

If not controlled, AI is more likely to mean the end of capitalism. Unfortunately, that's when tensions rise and demonstrations turn to riots when people feel they have nothing else to lose and everything to gain and governments try to grapple with control through punitive measures.

The race to the cost bottom is very much underway and will only accelerate.

History is littered with war used as a diversion. Destruction is followed by rebuilding.

Vivre la revolution!

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Simple solution - just pretend that robots aren't capable of doing the job and that it's all a massive health and safety issue and go on strike until you get your own way.

The rest of you that don't work for London Underground - well tough.
Reply 11
These bloody robots, comin' in 'ere, steelin' all OUR jobs. Send 'em back before they take over n turn ah incredible nation into a robot country!!!!
Original post by mangatardallys

I am optimistic. Computers have replaced many jobs but we still have near full employment. Gone is the human computer, draftsman, secretary, computer operator. But in is the administrator, software developer, app designer, fashion photography agency for online stores. Every downside creates an opportunity.
Original post by Meany Pie
I do quite a lot of design work so I'm not too worried.

However the unskilled labour market will be destroyed by robots.

You shouldn't feel too safe either as the brain that gives you all this magical creativity is a bunch of electrical signals which are not immune to simulating in a computer. Search a bit about AI's who can create music that is indistinguishable from human music, it might not be designing just yet but in a few decades, it probably will.
Original post by ByEeek
I am optimistic. Computers have replaced many jobs but we still have near full employment. Gone is the human computer, draftsman, secretary, computer operator. But in is the administrator, software developer, app designer, fashion photography agency for online stores. Every downside creates an opportunity.

There is no law in technology that says more jobs will always be made. This time the AI revolution will replace human thinking with machine learning and beyond this humans have little if any usefulness if a computer thinks exactly like a human. The YouTube channel "In a Nutshell" did an amazing video exploring real life cases and all the stats that show we are doomed Lol.
Original post by Necro2411
You shouldn't feel too safe either as the brain that gives you all this magical creativity is a bunch of electrical signals which are not immune to simulating in a computer. Search a bit about AI's who can create music that is indistinguishable from human music, it might not be designing just yet but in a few decades, it probably will.

Music is maths.

Design is what humans think would be aesthetic which is entirely subjective. Fortunately for me that is only an optional part of the job, my main job is running a building and forging relationships.
Original post by Trinculo
Simple solution - just pretend that robots aren't capable of doing the job and that it's all a massive health and safety issue and go on strike until you get your own way.

The rest of you that don't work for London Underground - well tough.

If I was the politician responsible for London Underground and the staff kept striking I would have done everything in my ability to replace all of you with bots ASAP as they do not strike, work 24/7, have no salary and always smile :smile:
Original post by Necro2411
If I was the politician responsible for London Underground and the staff kept striking I would have done everything in my ability to replace all of you with bots ASAP as they do not strike, work 24/7, have no salary and always smile :smile:

If there's one political fight that needs to be had in this country - it's to break the rail unions, no matter what the short term cost.

But wait - Sadiq Sad-face Khan. - oh well.
Original post by Meany Pie
Music is maths.

Design is what humans think would be aesthetic which is entirely subjective. Fortunately for me that is only an optional part of the job, my main job is running a building and forging relationships.

Yes I get this, but what I am saying is that you will have an extra decade or two before you have to worry about robots. However as the advancements in AI over past 3 years have shown; robots can use machine learning to learn how to do anything if given enough data about it. If designers were recorded designing clothes and the AI would watch millions of designers doing their jobs over a few years, the AI would use machine learning algorithms to literally become a designer with millions of designers worth of experience; you wouldn't need to teach it how to design clothes or which colours are a good combo, it would do this by itself, learning from scratch.
Original post by Trinculo
If there's one political fight that needs to be had in this country - it's to break the rail unions, no matter what the short term cost.

But wait - Sadiq Sad-face Khan. - oh well.

Robots don't have unions :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending