The Student Room Group
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London

Degree grade

Hi i need help in calculating my degree grade.
My second year is worth 25% and third year 75%
Second year grades:
15 credit-52%
15 credit -54%
30 credit -42%
30 credit -45%
30 credit - 48%
My third year grades:
30 credit - 50%
30 credit- 54%
30 credit-40%
30 credit -55%
Can someone help calculate my overall grade
Sure-
Sum of 2nd year = 5604
Credits 2nd year = 120
Overall Grade 2nd year = 5604/120 = 47%

Sum of 3rd year = 5970
Credits 3rd year= 120
Overall Grade 2nd year= 49.75%

Overall grade (assuming equal weighting of 120 credits each year) = 48.375%
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London
Reply 2
Original post by Renegade12
Sure-
Sum of 2nd year = 5604
Credits 2nd year = 120
Overall Grade 2nd year = 5604/120 = 47%

Sum of 3rd year = 5970
Credits 3rd year= 120
Overall Grade 2nd year= 49.75%

Overall grade (assuming equal weighting of 120 credits each year) = 48.375%

You might need to explain how you got the sums of years :smile:
Original post by Doonesbury
You might need to explain how you got the sums of years :smile:

Oh yeah sure,
Since you got 52% in a module worth 15 credits you would multiply 52 by 15 (780)
Then because of the 54% in the other module worth 15 you'd do the same.
Next module is worth 30 credits so you multiply your result (42%) by 30 etc etc

Once you've figured out the individual figures for each module you would simply add them all up (which gives you the sum of the year figure)

Then to work out your overall grade that year you'd just divide that final number by 120 (the amount of credits for that year)

Then repeat the process for the next year's results.

hope it helps :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you. But the 48% you worked out for my final grade is that 25% of second year and 75% of third year?
Original post by Taybsx
Thank you. But the 48% you worked out for my final grade is that 25% of second year and 75% of third year?

No, as I said that grade assumes equal weighting for both years

50% and 50%
Reply 6
No, as I said that grade assumes equal weighting for both years

50% and 50%

Oh but would you know how to work it out from one year being 25% and the other 75%?
Original post by Taybsx

In this case (where the weighting is 75% third year and 25% second year) the final grade would be 49.0625% ----> 49.1%

So a very high 3rd Class degree bordering on 2:2
Reply 8
Oh yeah sure,
Since you got 52% in a module worth 15 credits you would multiply 52 by 15 (780)
Then because of the 54% in the other module worth 15 you'd do the same.
Next module is worth 30 credits so you multiply your result (42%) by 30 etc etc

Once you've figured out the individual figures for each module you would simply add them all up (which gives you the sum of the year figure)

Then to work out your overall grade that year you'd just divide that final number by 120 (the amount of credits for that year)

Then repeat the process for the next year's results.

hope it helps :smile:

Original post by Taybsx
Oh but would you know how to work it out from one year being 25% and the other 75%?

I get a slightly different total:

Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 13.58.27.jpg
(edited 6 years ago)
I get a slightly different total:

Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 13.58.27.jpg

Yeah I assumed 50 50 weighting. I corrected it on the post above though.
Reply 10
In this case (where the weighting is 75% third year and 25% second year) the final grade would be 49.0625% ----> 49.1%

So a very high 3rd Class degree bordering on 2:2

Ok so if i can improve on one module i am able to achieve 2:2?
Reply 11
Original post by Taybsx
Ok so if i can improve on one module i am able to achieve 2:2?

Yes, although they may award a 2:2 anyway as you are close to the boundary and have 3 out 4 modules in year 3 at or above 50%. It depends on your unversity policy.
Reply 12
Yes, although they may award a 2:2 anyway as you are close to the boundary and have 3 out 4 modules in year 3 at or above 50%. It depends on your unversity policy.

Oh really. Thank you, you have given me hope. I really hope they award me a 2:2 do you think most likely they would if it's on the border line. Or would i have to work on resubmitting a assignment
Reply 13
Original post by Taybsx
Oh really. Thank you, you have given me hope. I really hope they award me a 2:2 do you think most likely they would if it's on the border line. Or would i have to work on resubmitting a assignment

You should speak to your tutor.

(But surely term has finished....? And final grades awarded??)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Taybsx

Your uni should have a page detailing all of the rules etc - it's university specific so, as suggested, you should speak to your tutor, but only AFTER finding this page that documents the rules around classifications.
Original post by Taybsx
Hi i need help in calculating my degree grade.
My second year is worth 25% and third year 75%
Second year grades:
15 credit-52%
15 credit -54%
30 credit -42%
30 credit -45%
30 credit - 48%
My third year grades:
30 credit - 50%
30 credit- 54%
30 credit-40%
30 credit -55%
Can someone help calculate my overall grade

Is it definitely 25-75? I found a London Met document which was different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by ageshallnot
Is it definitely 25-75? I found a London Met document which was different.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it is, what did you find?
Original post by Taybsx
I think it is, what did you find?

I googled London Met degree classification and found a document on their site. It contained the following two paragraphs:

62 Subject to the satisfaction of the above criteria and 63 below, the classification of the award shall be calculated on the basis of the best 240 credits at Levels 5 and 6, at least 90 credits of which are at Level 6. A classification average over these 240 credits shall be calculated. The average of the marks for the best 90 credits at Level 6 shall contribute two thirds of the
classification average; the average of the marks for the next best 150 credits at Level 5 or Level 6 shall contribute one third of the classification average.

64 If the classification average, as calculated in Regulation 62, falls no more than 2.5% short of the next highest classification boundary, the distribution of credit achieved at Level 5 and Level 6 will be considered. If the marks for at least half of the credits contributing to the award fall within a higher class than the overall average mark, the classification shall be raised by one class above that indicated by the classification average. Thus, students classified over 240 credits will require 120 credits in the higher class in order to have their classification raised; students classified over 270 credits will require 135 credits in the higher class in order to have their classification raised; students entering Level 6 with advanced standing and classified over 120 credits will require 60 credits in the higher class in order to have their classification raised.

If the above pars are current then I think it is good news for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest