The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by an_atheist
Keep your head up. Dwelling on these things will only make the anxiety worse.

Is anyone else finding they're doing weird **** (for them) to pass the time? I seem to be religiously cleaning random crap around the house, cooking random snacks and painting (only the cooking was semi-normal for me before exams)

The sad thing is I'm not even worried for me, I'm more resigned to the fact I'm in clearing and worried about the reaction from teachers on results day.

And I'm doing weird stuff too - I've always debated doing the tube challenge (trying to visit every station on the London Underground in the shortest time possible) and I've just randomly started planning a route 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rayofsunshine98
The sad thing is I'm not even worried for me, I'm more resigned to the fact I'm in clearing and worried about the reaction from teachers on results day.

And I'm doing weird stuff too - I've always debated doing the tube challenge (trying to visit every station on the London Underground in the shortest time possible) and I've just randomly started planning a route 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seen these already?
(Or if you want to,challenge with your own plan, don't read these. :tongue:)

Spoiler

And good luck with the result.
Remember you've been never good at predicting your fate. It's always turned out better than you'd anticipated.. :wink:
Original post by vincrows
Seen these already?
(Or if you want to,challenge with your own plan, don't read these. :tongue:)

Spoiler

And good luck with the result.
Remember you've been never good at predicting your fate. It's always turned out better than you'd anticipated.. :wink:

I'd seen them but I'm planning my own route.

And the fact I've always been predicting the negative side of things and it's always come out better is the one thing I'm hanging on to at the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3403
And the fact I've always been predicting the negative side of things and it's always come out better is the one thing I'm hanging on to at the moment.

That strategy has had a 100% success rate so far :smile:

This time will be NO different.
Original post by Doonesbury
That strategy has had a 100% success rate so far :smile:

This time will be NO different.

You're far too confident 😂😂 although hopefully if I have just missed, the letter from school will make all the difference

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd seen them but I'm planning my own route.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol
So when the result proves you were wrong again, you've got to swear to everyone here you will try to change how you look yourself. It's 'bout time you learn from your past mistakes. :wink:
Reply 3406
You're far too confident 😂😂 although hopefully if I have just missed, the letter from school will make all the difference

I would counter that with a cheap: You're far too unconfident :smile:

Just relax for now, and enjoy the news on the 17th August. :wink:
I would counter that with a cheap: You're far too unconfident :smile:

Just relax for now, and enjoy the news on the 17th August. :wink:

Easier said than done :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3408
Original post by Obiejess
Easier said than done :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know. Honestly I do. The run up to Results Day is pretty stressful for parents too :wink:

But what's done is done. ALL of you guys are in the top 3% of students in the UK - you've done great!
Hello! Frustrating times in our house....Some advice please....
My daughter has achieved 40 points at IB and her offer was 42. The "typical offer" for her subject is 40-42. Her college has asked that in the case of a "near miss" she send them a breakdown of her results by subject. She's emailed them to say her coordinator won't get these himself until tomorrow so that will be the earliest she can send them on. She's considering some re-marks.
So my questions are:
1. Is missing an IB offer by 2 points considered a "near miss"?
2. Is there anything to be gained by phoning the college today?
3. Her course is Education with English and although she scored a 7 for HL English her other HL subjects were only awarded 6s. She had been pretty confident, following her exams, of a 7 in all three HL subjects, as were her teachers, and her coursework was considered excellent. Would it be worth considering re-marks for those two subjects?
Thank you for any help!
Reply 3410
Original post by Magnificat7
My daughter has achieved 40 points at IB and her offer was 42. The "typical offer" for her subject is 40-42. Her college has asked that in the case of a "near miss" she send them a breakdown of her results by subject. She's emailed them to say her coordinator won't get these himself until tomorrow so that will be the earliest she can send them on. She's considering some re-marks.
So my questions are:
3. Her course is Education with English and although she scored a 7 for HL English her other HL subjects were only awarded 6s. She had been pretty confident, following her exams, of a 7 in all three HL subjects, as were her teachers, and her coursework was considered excellent. Would it be worth considering re-marks for those two subjects?
Thank you for any help!

It's very likely "near misses" will only be resolved one way or the other on A-level Results Day (17th Aug) I'm afraid. Just keep in touch with the college, sending anything they request as and when you get it.

Speak to her teachers about remarks. I'm not familiar enough with IB - but for A-levels it does sometimes help. The ultimate deadline for meeting the offer is probably 31st Aug so remarks would need to be in by then. Tell the college if you are remarking.

It's best if your daughter or referee speaks to the college if/when you call :wink:

Good luck!
It's very likely "near misses" will only be resolved one way or the other on A-level Results Day (17th Aug) I'm afraid. Just keep in touch with the college, sending anything they request as and when you get it.

Speak to her teachers about remarks. I'm not familiar enough with IB - but for A-levels it does sometimes help. The ultimate deadline for meeting the offer is probably 31st Aug so remarks would need to be in by then. Tell the college if you are remarking.

It's best if your daughter or referee speaks to the college if/when you call :wink:

Good luck!

Thank you! That's helpful 😊
So my questions are:
Thank you for any help!

@Doonesbury's advise is precise and concise, as always :smile:, but just to explain how decisions are made behind-the-scene regarding offer holders who missed their offer, hopefully knowing why you have to wait for so long would make the situation slightly less frustrating than not knowing it.

They always give out slightly more offers than they have the places for because there bound to be some who miss their offers, some who decline the offer and some who request a deferred entry after they received offer.
So after A-level result day (the last of the results), they look at all missed offer-holders and decide which one/s to take, reject or put in the summer pool for other colleges to consider. In this process they look at how much and in what way the condition was missed and re-examine all the aspects of application, not just how many points/grade it was missed.
So until then, they themselves don't know how they'd treat your daughter's case as they won't know until August 17th how many other offer holders missed their offer, etc.......

And as for remark, please be aware it can be marked down as well as up. So please discuss the matter with her teacher/s if remark will worth it.

Best of luck. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3413
Thank you! That's helpful 😊

@Doonesbury's advise is precise and concise, as always :smile:, but just to explain how decisions are made behind-the-scene regarding offer holders who missed their offer, hopefully knowing why you have to wait for so long would make the situation slightly less frustrating than not knowing it.

They always give out slightly more offers than they have the places for because there bound to be some who miss their offers, some who decline the offer and some who request a deferred entry after the result.
So after A-level result day (the last of the results), they look at all missed offer-holders and decide which one/s to take, reject or put in the summer pool for other colleges to consider. In this process they look at how much and in what way the condition was missed and re-examine all the aspects of application, not just how many points/grade it was missed.
So until then, they themselves don't know how they'd treat your daughter's case as they won't know until August 17th how many other offer holders missed their offer, etc.......

And as for remark, please be aware it can be marked down as well as up. So please discuss the matter with her teacher/s if remark will worth it.

And, just for completeness, there's the Summer Pool too for some near-miss candidates to be fished by other colleges.

Also A-level results go a few days earlier to the universities so they will be figuring out many of their decisions in the few days leading up to the actual Results Day.

It's a busy and stressful time for everyone, including ATs and DoSs... :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
And, just for completeness, there's the Summer Pool too for some near-miss candidates to be fished by other colleges.

Also A-level results go a few days earlier to the universities so they will be figuring out many of their decisions in the few days leading up to the actual Results Day.

It's a busy and stressful time for everyone, including ATs and DoSs... :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did mention summer Pool..........:wink:
Reply 3415
Did mention summer Pool..........:wink:

Ah soz...

They always give out slightly more offers than they have the places for because there bound to be some who miss their offers, some who decline the offer and some who request a deferred entry after the result.

Thank you! 😊

Good luck!

PRSOM
What does PRSOM mean? :colondollar:
Reply 3419
Original post by SteamboatMickey
What does PRSOM mean? :colondollar:

Really!? Please Rate Some Other Member because you can't give this one any more rep until you do...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending