The Student Room Group

Btec grading question

I'm doing a btec level 3 course. I finished college last week and my teachers have marked my work. On 2 units, I completed the pass, merits and distinctions but the teacher has marked both units as only a pass. I'm sure I met the criteria for both the merits and distinction, if not the distinction then definitely the merit. Some other students have also completed these 2 units up to a distinction and the same teacher marked theirs as a pass too. I wanted to know will this be my final grade or will it get sent off to be marked my someone else? Is there anything I can do? My overall grade would have been MM but now it's going to be MP
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ky12
I'm doing a btec level 3 course. I finished college last week and my teachers have marked my work. On 2 units, I completed the pass, merits and distinctions but the teacher has marked both units as only a pass. I'm sure I met the criteria for both the merits and distinction, if not the distinction then definitely the merit. Some other students have also completed these 2 units up to a distinction and the same teacher marked theirs as a pass too. I wanted to know will this be my final grade or will it get sent off to be marked my someone else? Is there anything I can do? My overall grade would have been MM but now it's going to be MP

In short the answer is yes. You can appeal for a regrade.

Talk to the exam officer about what the procedure is for your college or contact the exam board i.e Pearson Edexcel run a lot of the BTECS and take their advice.

Appeals procedure are particular to the school college, but they should all be pretty similar. Here is an EXAMPLE and not the rule. It gives you an idea.

Attachment not found
(edited 6 years ago)
You should

I threatened my lazy d!ckhead teacher that if he didn't mark my merit and distinction work I'd report him to btec because his unit was what was preventing me from getting d*.

He came in on the last week saying "I'm not going to entertain distinctions" as it's too late despite I handed in my work months early without it being marked.

In short: do it because you're grade is too important for you to be tolerant of *****y teachers
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
In short the answer is yes. You can appeal for a regrade.

Talk to the exam officer about what the procedure is for your college or contact the exam board i.e Pearson Edexcel run a lot of the BTECS and take their advice.

Appeals procedure are particular to the school college, but they should all be pretty similar. Here is an EXAMPLE and not the rule. It gives you an idea.

Attachment not found

Ok thank you
Original post by Ky12
Ok thank you

So if I felt the school was going to kick up a fuss id contact the exam board direct and take advice as per image 2. Its important you understand the criteria and maybe make a table to show why you have met them.

If you dont trust the head of department as per image 1 and the internal procedure as to see if you can have a remark by Pearson. I am not quite sure how it works, but you will have to pay and if correct you get your money back.
This is what edexcel pearson says

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/results-certification/post-results-services-information-for-students/post-results-services-for-btec.html

So if you want you can ask for Pearson themselves to remark it and a senior examiner will do so. All the information is on the link.
Reply 6
So if I felt the school was going to kick up a fuss id contact the exam board direct and take advice as per image 2. Its important you understand the criteria and maybe make a table to show why you have met them.

If you dont trust the head of department as per image 1 and the internal procedure as to see if you can have a remark by Pearson. I am not quite sure how it works, but you will have to pay and if correct you get your money back.

I'm going to contact my college first. But what if I didn't meet the criteria? I think I did but obviously I can't be 100 percent sure. And since other students attempted merits and distinctions for the same units and were marked with a pass, I feel like the teacher might just be being lazy to mark the rest
Original post by Ky12
I'm going to contact my college first. But what if I didn't meet the criteria? I think I did but obviously I can't be 100 percent sure. And since other students attempted merits and distinctions for the same units and were marked with a pass, I feel like the teacher might just be being lazy to mark the rest

Then you can go for the remark as posted in the last link. Its better to chase it up for peace of mind. the way you made your OP i assumed you knew the criteria. The external option means you will get marked by a senior independent examiner.
Reply 8
Then you can go for the remark as posted in the last link. Its better to chase it up for peace of mind. the way you made your OP i assumed you knew the criteria. The external option means you will get marked by a senior independent examiner.
ok ill go for the remark, thanks again
Reply 9
I got Pp as a btec grade, how can I get into teaching with that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending