The Student Room Group

Mattek Sands screams in pain after a horrific injury at Wimbleon

' Wimbledon horror as US tennis star Bethanie Mattek-Sands screams at least 15 F words in agony after dislocating her knee in scenes so distressing it left her doubles partner in tears. SCREAMS echoed around Wimbledon after a horror injury to American player Bethanie Mattek-Sands. The wildcard collapsed in agony, clutching her right knee, after a shocking fall at the start of the deciding set of her second-round match against Sorana Cirstea.Mattek-Sands then lay in agony clutching her injury on the Wimbledon turf. Medical staff rushed to provided her with oxygen and Cirstea had to turn away, stunned after seeing the extent of her opponent’s injury on Court 17.Mattek-Sands’ husband joined the medics on court and an ambulance was summoned to take her to hospital.The American pleaded for more painkillers, howling in agony as they attempted to move her, with morphine required.Her knee appeared dislocated, with screams audible around the grounds as she pleaded to be knocked out with an anaesthetic to avoid the painHer doubles partner and friend Lucie Safarova who was on a another court heard the screams came to help criticised the time taken for medical help to arrive for Mattek-Sands after she was left on the floor in agony. She was heard saying why the can't someone get a ambulance to Lars graff the tournament officer. “I think someone has to take the video and actually time and see how long it took for people to get there. Because for me, I think she was too long on the ground.“I mean, I heard for 10, 15 minutes, then I left and the stretcher was not there yet. “There are sports where you see something’s happening and you see straightaway the help. In football and boxing it’s straightaway.“Her knee was in a very weird position. I’ve never seen anything like this probably except in the movies. I panicked a little bit as well.“She kept staying, Sorana help me, Sorana help me, Sorana help me.”A number of medics and Wimbledon staff rushed to help the stricken player. She won the first set 6-4 before losing the second 7-6 . Spectators on the balconies of Centre and Court One broke away from their drinks to stare and watch. John inverdale commentator said horrible thing to witness so many F bombs for many kids ears at the event It will be the only time someone yells more F bombs in the history of tennis combined in one incident, live on screen and will never be penalized once. This injury was bound to happen the first week is nasty on this surface. It looks like Cirstea apologized for hitting her with the balls and then realized how serious the fall was very quickly.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It sounds like a serious injury and the type some people struggle to even walk on afterwards, something similar happened to a NFL quarterback teddy bridgewater last year and he is looking at another year out, hopefully this person can recover and get back on the court
I demand paragraphs politely.
Reply 3
15 minutes is very long I have to say, but can't compare how long it takes for response at Wimbledon to a football or boxing match. Wimbledon (or any other Grandslam) has too many courts for them to have an ambulance posted on each one.
Original post by CuriousSherlock
I demand paragraphs politely.

Just watch the video https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/tennis/3963196/wimbledon-bethanie-mattek-knee/
Reply 5
Original post by Mathemagicien
Disgraceful language, there could have been children watching.

Being in pain does not give you the right to use offensive language.

Yes absoutely
(edited 6 years ago)

:biggrin:

Horrible injury.

They will learn it eventually, probably already have learnt it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The kids should be in school not watching a tennis match xD

I really don't think that's the key detail to take away here - besides which, I think most of us would struggle not to swear if we in anywhere near that level of pain!
They should learn the words so that they know to avoid them; they should not be taught that it is okay to use foul language.

Ephesians 4:29
Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

Actually you'd be expected to use whatever control you do have in a situation such as this, given it's medical nature; with a dislocated knee, I suspect you would not have a lot. Regardless, that's no real reason for her not to swear, though I suspect this wasn't a serious counter.
Reply 11

It doesn't look that bad tbh, the written article was overhyped, i've seen MUCH worst dislocations online. Her knee hardly even looked out of shape.

That WWF wrestler back in the day who jumped from the top rope and landed funny on his knee was much worst than this.

The tennis girl made a heck of a lot of noise....
far more than most people, maybe that's why people are hyping it all up.......

I dislocated my knee about 10 years ago, It hurt like a mother****er...,but I barely made any noise and reached over with my hands and instinctively moved my knee back into the right place.
They should learn the words so that they know to avoid them; they should not be taught that it is okay to use foul language.

There is a time and a place for swearing, dislocating a knee is one of them.

Swearing has been shown to help reduce the amount of pain you are in.
Original post by joecphillips
It sounds like a serious injury and the type some people struggle to even walk on afterwards, something similar happened to a NFL quarterback teddy bridgewater last year and he is looking at another year out, hopefully this person can recover and get back on the court

Nah it's not serious at all if you're screaming in pain
Original post by ANM775
It doesn't look that bad tbh, the written article was overhyped, i've seen MUCH worst dislocations online. Her knee hardly even looked out of shape.

That WWF wrestler back in the day who jumped from the top rope and landed funny on his knee was much worst than this.

The tennis girl made a heck of a lot of noise....
far more than most people, maybe that's why people are hyping it all up.......

I dislocated my knee about 10 years ago, It hurt like a mother****er...,but I barely made any noise and reached over with my hands and instinctively moved my knee back into the right place.

Can't really comment as I've never dislocated my knee! Only wrestler that comes to mind was Sid Vicious in WCW, he actually snapped his shin clean in half though and hardly made a sound :lol:
Reply 15
Original post by WoodyMKC
Can't really comment as I've never dislocated my knee! Only wrestler that comes to mind was Sid Vicious in WCW, he actually snapped his shin clean in half though and hardly made a sound :lol:

yeah I think it was Sid Vicious I saw

he did take it rather well didn't he lol

I came across this one a few days ago, and it looks significantly more damaging than that Wimbledon one

warning to others , it ain't pretty, don't watch if you have trouble watching weird injuries

Original post by ANM775
yeah I think it was Sid Vicious I saw

he did take it rather well didn't he lol

I came across this one a few days ago, and it looks significantly more damaging than that Wimbledon one

warning to others , it ain't pretty, don't watch if you have trouble watching weird injuries

That's a really weird one! Hardly even kicked him and his leg folds.

This is what happens when you use FAR more weight than you can handle on the leg press and proceed to do 1/8th reps with it - not for the faint of heart!

[video="youtube;cNyQ6GLvU4A"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNyQ6GLvU4A[/video]
saw that match and was horrified at the extent of the injury!
If I was in Sands' shoes, I would stop playing for about 3 years to give it time to heal!
Reply 18

This is what happens when you use FAR more weight than you can handle on the leg press and proceed to do 1/8th reps with it - not for the faint of heart!

[video="youtube;cNyQ6GLvU4A"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNyQ6GLvU4A[/video]

yeah, tbh it looked like far too much for the size of his legs.

again though, he took it mighty well......

Ahhhhhhhhh I'm never leg pressing again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending