The Student Room Group

Applying to Cambridge University, post Alevels and Gap years

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gumileva
Hi! Does somebody know any who got into Cambridge through clearing system? I know one case, so it is rare, I know.

Probably ARU. Definitely not Cambridge.
Original post by vincrows
As far as I'm aware they rarely get a student through clearing. They have summer pool for that purpose and even that is very small.
And they have very thorough and long selection process to give offers to the applicants, I highly doubt if they pick up someone who's hadn't gone through this process and give an offer.
Is this one example you know had applied to Cambridge and got to the interview stage or even got an offer but for some reason he/she declined?

He did not got to interview stage- rejected, but finally he got very high 3A* and at the result day he phoned to the college( which- I do not know) with a tutor and was told that maybe because he was not interviewed they did not saw his potential and he got offered a place.
He did not got to interview stage- rejected, but finally he got very high 3A* and at the result day he phoned to the college( which- I do not know) with a tutor and was told that maybe because he was not interviewed they did not saw his potential and he got offered a place.

Sorry, but this just doesn't happen. Certainly not in recent times. Plenty of people are rejected by Cambridge but go on to get 3 (or more) A*s. Even less likely if he didn't have an interview, a key step in their selection process.

Posted from TSR Mobile

read No.2

http://university.which.co.uk/advice/ucas-clearing-what-you-might-not-know

as I said before, in the event of them having to pick up someone after a level results the do that from summer pool, definitely not someone who didn't even get interview. They interview more than 80% of all applicants, there's no reason they need to pick up someone like that from clearing I'm afraid.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi! Does somebody know any who got into Cambridge through clearing system? I know one case, so it is rare, I know.

lies. They have and will never participate in clearng or adjustment

Original post by vincrows
As far as I'm aware they rarely get a student through clearing. They have summer pool for that purpose and even that is very small.
And they have very thorough and long selection process to give offers to the applicants, I highly doubt if they pick up someone who's hadn't gone through this process and give an offer.
Is this one example you know had applied to Cambridge and got to the interview stage or even got an offer but for some reason he/she declined?
I am really not sure how UMS works with regards to A2 level modules.
In year 12 I averaged at 74 (as I got a C in as English) but my A2 modules this year average at 92 UMS so, with only one resit, my overall average is 86. However I did get A*A*A. Is 86 as an average too low?
Or does the fact that I showed improvement help my case in anyway? I want to apply to HSPS so it's not like I am looking to do Medicine or anything..
My gap year will be 25% reading 40% learning french at As level (DELF course) and 35% working on international development projects. I am not sure how much that will help my case. Please any advice would be greatly appreciated I don't come from a school/background of oxbridge applicants so other than websites I don't have much in the way of advice at home.
Original post by NaomiPotter2
I am really not sure how UMS works with regards to A2 level modules.
In year 12 I averaged at 74 (as I got a C in as English) but my A2 modules this year average at 92 UMS so, with only one resit, my overall average is 86. However I did get A*A*A. Is 86 as an average too low?
Or does the fact that I showed improvement help my case in anyway? I want to apply to HSPS so it's not like I am looking to do Medicine or anything..
My gap year will be 25% reading 40% learning french at As level (DELF course) and 35% working on international development projects. I am not sure how much that will help my case. Please any advice would be greatly appreciated I don't come from a school/background of oxbridge applicants so other than websites I don't have much in the way of advice at home.

What are your A-levels and overall UMS for each subject?
Original post by jneill
What are your A-levels and overall UMS for each subject?

For A2s alone my UMS averages were in the 90s but my as' have pulled me down slightly so I average overall at 86 for
History - 82 UMS
Business Studies - 89 UMS (I talked to a Cambridge tutor about this and he said in light of my other grades the 'softness' of the subject is irrelevant)
Religious Studies - 86 UMS

I just don't know what they'll care about the most? Will my improvement work in my favour?
Original post by NaomiPotter2
For A2s alone my UMS averages were in the 90s but my as' have pulled me down slightly so I average overall at 86 for
History - 82 UMS
Business Studies - 89 UMS (I talked to a Cambridge tutor about this and he said in light of my other grades the 'softness' of the subject is irrelevant)
Religious Studies - 86 UMS

I just don't know what they'll care about the most? Will my improvement work in my favour?

It may well do. They usually care most about the most recent exams which works well for you. I think you are fairly likely to get an interview, and then who knows...
Hi
I want to apply for HSPS and I'm on my gap year .. what kind of work experience did you do ?
i know people who got in for arts subjects during y13 with AS results ranging from As to Ds and As to Cs. Clearly, it's about how you present yourself and your passion rather than solely grades !
I'm thinking of doing the same for 2018 entry - what were your A2 grades (and grades before that if thats okay) and, what did you do in your gap year?
Original post by User188463
Just thought I'd briefly say that I applied to Cambridge for Archaeology and anthropology (now changed to HSPS) post-A2, during my gap year, and the whole University application process was so nice and stress-free. You don't worry about school work or meeting an offer. I also felt much more 'ready' for university after an interesting year out of education. I did better in my A2s than my ASs (from 95% to 98% averages), and bolstered my application by doing an 'advanced extension award' as well as arranging relevant work experience, and I think my application was much stronger than it would have been the year before. I got in and had an amazing three years.

However I think its important that you apply for more realistic places (where you have a very high chance of getting a place) that you would be very happy with should you not get in to Cambridge. For me that was LSE and Edinburgh.

Good luck!

p.s. I think in general if you do better at A2 than AS and apply during your gap year you will probably be in a stronger position than someone who applied after AS but had not yet shown an upward trajectory - it means the admissions people don't have to gamble. Some subjects/colleges also like people to have gap years provided they are filled with good stuff.
I applied to Cambridge for 2017 entry and was unsuccessful post-interview, and I am thinking about re-applying for 2018 entry. Is that considered a gap year? :lol:

I posted a separate thread about this but no one has replied, wondering if maybe someone could help me here. I would be applying for English and I know many colleges require written work sent, as I sent written work for my first application. Which essays did you re-applicants choose to send in? Was it work you did during school or was it essays the college had you write specifically for the application? It's one of the factors making it difficult for me to decide whether to reapply, as I don't want to submit the same essays I did last time, nor do I want to have to ask my old teachers to fill out more cover sheets :redface: any guidance?
Original post by hoopla115
[...] I posted a separate thread about this but no one has replied [...]

That's because you posted at 3am, and are now posting here at 5am.

Yes, it is considered a gap year.

Pretty sure that my friend who reapplied for English wrote some new essays to submit this year.
I applied to Cambridge for 2017 entry and was unsuccessful post-interview, and I am thinking about re-applying for 2018 entry. Is that considered a gap year? :lol:

I posted a separate thread about this but no one has replied, wondering if maybe someone could help me here. I would be applying for English and I know many colleges require written work sent, as I sent written work for my first application. Which essays did you re-applicants choose to send in? Was it work you did during school or was it essays the college had you write specifically for the application? It's one of the factors making it difficult for me to decide whether to reapply, as I don't want to submit the same essays I did last time, nor do I want to have to ask my old teachers to fill out more cover sheets :redface: any guidance?

The essays you submitted previously would have been written prior to November 2016. Don't you have any written after? I would think they would expect new essays....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Forecast
That's because you posted at 3am, and are now posting here at 5am.

Yes, it is considered a gap year.

Pretty sure that my friend who reapplied for English wrote some new essays to submit this year.

Woops - international student, totally forgot about the concept of time zones, my bad. Can I ask if they wrote them specifically for the application, or just submitted new ones they had written previously?

Original post by Doonesbury
The essays you submitted previously would have been written prior to November 2016. Don't you have any written after? I would think they would expect new essays....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Saw your reply on my other post - I'm looking through my recent graded papers right now.
Woops - international student, totally forgot about the concept of time zones, my bad. Can I ask if they wrote them specifically for the application, or just submitted new ones they had written previously?

I think they were written specifically for the application, but I'm not 100% sure.
Original post by Forecast
I think they were written specifically for the application, but I'm not 100% sure.

Interesting, ok thank you!

I applied for English after I got my results. For the written work I sent in my A2 coursework. I got my place and have just finished second year :smile:

Quick Reply