The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zippidee
When I first applied to Cambridge I (thankfully) hadn't been exposed to the world of university rankings. I applied to Bangor, Lancaster, York St. John, Durham and Cambridge because they were all places and universities I liked the look of. As somebody who does abhor fun and larks though, I now fear this might be an atypical experience.

(Although...when I was actually at Cambridge I found that while some people liked to play football with vodka bottles in theiur accommodation there was a high proportion of people who, while not antisocial, simply weren't that interested in nightlife.)

I know many who felt more at home at Cambridge than at their school because of that. Not that they don't enjoy occasional night life, but much less peer pressure for drinking and clubbing. Not like there're many clubs in Cambridge, though.......:tongue:

Just re-checked.
Actually two, not just one, of Cambridge colleges' accommodations share the same architect as UEA's. :wink:

Spoiler

Reply 3482
Original post by vincrows
Just re-checked.

Spoiler

Indeed:

Looks familiar... :smile:

9bc14522ba75ab8a5e6f0547bd962929.jpg

Attachment not found
Original post by vincrows
And Hogwarts.
Better get over the disappointment an owl didn't come with a letter of admission.......

My letter didn't come for like a month after I found out I had an offer and my email came a week after I found out :lol: do wish there was an owl in the process
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Just saying but I think Durham would remind you more of Cambridge than UEA :holmes:

I would probably end up rupturing a blood vessel due to the salt there though.
Original post by Doonesbury
Indeed:

Looks familiar... :smile:

9bc14522ba75ab8a5e6f0547bd962929.jpg

Attachment not found

And this is their sister in London.
https://goo.gl/images/tBu7Ey

Though the one I was thinking of in Cambridge looks quite different.
My letter didn't come for like a month after I found out I had an offer and my email came a week after I found out :lol: do wish there was an owl in the process

I found out I had an offer from my Chemistry teacher (who is also the UCAS coordinator at school). He wasn't 'mean't' to get a copy of the offer letter until the week after according to him. Found the letter when I got home that evening.

Wouldn't an owl just complicate things needlessly? Its not particularly elegant to watch a bird fly into a window (seems to happen every other week or so where I live)
Original post by an_atheist
I found out I had an offer from my Chemistry teacher (who is also the UCAS coordinator at school). He wasn't 'mean't' to get a copy of the offer letter until the week after according to him. Found the letter when I got home that evening.

Wouldn't an owl just complicate things needlessly? Its not particularly elegant to watch a bird fly into a window (seems to happen every other week or so where I live)

It would complicate things, but the aesthetic would be worth the issues they purport, and I mean they manage it in Harry Potter. :lol: I got a phone call an hour afterward. I was at Cambridge train station. It was pretty nice because I just had a chat about cold stations and dinosaurs with the Medwards AT (you know the one). I wasn't expecting it though. I think my northern accent was a comical contrast.
(edited 6 years ago)
I would probably end up rupturing a blood vessel due to the salt there though.

:rofl:

I live in Durham and I went to talk to the disability people there and they were lovely but when they asked me "what other Universities are you considering?" as soon as I said Cambridge I don't think I was welcome anymore
Reply 3489
:rofl:

I live in Durham and I went to talk to the disability people there and they were lovely but when they asked me "what other Universities are you considering?" as soon as I said Cambridge I don't think I was welcome anymore

This seems to be a running story with Durham. LOL.

Next time say Northumbria. That should help their Oxbridge inferiority complex. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
This seems to be a running story with Durham. LOL.

Next time say Northumbria. That should help their Oxbridge inferiority complex. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Might do! Or Teesside, which is my closest uni. :tongue:
It would complicate things, but the aesthetic would be worth the issues they purport, and I mean they manage it in Harry Potter. :lol: I got a phone call an hour afterward. I was at Cambridge train station. It was pretty nice because I just had a chat about cold stations and dinosaurs with the Medwards AT (you know the one). I wasn't expecting it though. I think my northern accent was a comical contrast.

But magic owls in HP though, or some toher such bs. Even so, iirc the Weasley owl manages to fly into a window or somethingin one of the books.
re:your chat with MEAT. as you do, just casually chat about that kinda stuff while on the phone to an AT. :lol:
But magic owls in HP though, or some toher such bs. Even so, iirc the Weasley owl manages to fly into a window or somethingin one of the books.
re:your chat with MEAT. as you do, just casually chat about that kinda stuff while on the phone to an AT. :lol:

Yeah Pigwidgeon does (bit of a HP nerd here). Still, Cam should do owls.

Hahaha I know right! Well he called up, I was expecting to hear "sorry we can't give you an offer", and he just went "ah it was a delight to finally see you we're going to give you an offer" and then we just chatted about really random things for like ten minutes and he asked me how I thought I did. :lol: was probs the best phone call for its memorable and ecstatic qualities
(edited 6 years ago)
Yeah Pigwidgeon does (bit of a HP nerd here). Still, Cam should do owls.

Hahaha I know right! Well he called up, I was expecting to hear "sorry we can't give you an offer", and he just went "ah it was a delight to finally see you we're going to give you an offer" and then we just chatted about really random things for like ten minutes and he asked me how I thought I did. :lol: was probs the best phone call for its memorable and ecstatic qualities

Tentatively. I agree. Carrier pigeon might be easier due to numbers required.

I need to get back into nerding over things, I stopped around year 11 or so, so I've fallen behind in my old topics (Warhammer/WH40K mostly, since new editions have been released and the fluff gets updated with them)

I'm probably being really stupid but when did this call happen? Was it soon after your interview or was it later on in December? Must have been pretty relieving to hear about it though, knowing a decision has been made one way or the other.
Tentatively. I agree. Carrier pigeon might be easier due to numbers required.

I need to get back into nerding over things, I stopped around year 11 or so, so I've fallen behind in my old topics (Warhammer/WH40K mostly, since new editions have been released and the fluff gets updated with them)

I'm probably being really stupid but when did this call happen? Was it soon after your interview or was it later on in December? Must have been pretty relieving to hear about it though, knowing a decision has been made one way or the other.

You should. Don't worry, I got so busy over A-Levels I kinda stopped. I'm back into Disney, Sherlock, Star Wars, Pokemon, Harry Potter, Coldplay, and all of that stuff now.

Maybe 2 hours max after my last reinterview?
(edited 6 years ago)
When are Cambridge entry 2017 facebook groups + group chats created? I presume after results day?
Original post by Insight314
When are Cambridge entry 2017 facebook groups + group chats created? I presume after results day?

They have been around since January.

STEP go okay this year?
You should. Don't worry, I got so busy over A-Levels I kinda stopped. I'm back into Disney, Sherlock, Star Wars, Pokemon, Harry Potter, Coldplay, and all of that stuff now.

Maybe 2 hours max after my last reinterview?

Sounds like a fun list of stuff. I tried to get into Star Wars, but after the EU books were removed from canon i just drifted away i guess?

At least you didnt have to wait too long after the pool interviews then. No more frayed nerves.
Sounds like a fun list of stuff. I tried to get into Star Wars, but after the EU books were removed from canon i just drifted away i guess?

At least you didnt have to wait too long after the pool interviews then. No more frayed nerves.

That's fair enough. Yeah, it kind of sucks that they're "star wars legends" but I am too much of a star wars fanatic so I've stuck around. Hoping to get to the midnight premiere for the last Jedi :biggrin:
Christ, all this talk of Star Wars, Harry Potter and Pokemon makes me wonder if I spoke too soon when I said we're not all stereotypical nerds. I didn't envisage the brightest young minds in the country being so enamoured of this infantile stuff. I mean I'm partial to some star wars but Pokemon???

Latest

Trending

Trending