The Student Room Group

Civil Service Direct Appointment Scheme 2017

Hi guys,

I didn't make the cut on the FSAC back in January and thought I wouldn't receive any correspondence from the Civil Service. However, I got an email regarding the possibility of being appointed an Executive Officer via the direct appointment scheme.

I've sent off my expression of interest form (I thought it was quite a small form tbh) and awaiting a response. Is anyone in the same situation? Or know how long I could expect to be waiting? I haven't received an acknowledgement email so feel uncertain about what awaits me

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by BertB
Hi guys,

I didn't make the cut on the FSAC back in January and thought I wouldn't receive any correspondence from the Civil Service. However, I got an email regarding the possibility of being appointed an Executive Officer via the direct appointment scheme.

I've sent off my expression of interest form (I thought it was quite a small form tbh) and awaiting a response. Is anyone in the same situation? Or know how long I could expect to be waiting? I haven't received an acknowledgement email so feel uncertain about what awaits me

I was also sent an email about an EO position after not making the cut at the FSAC. I sent away my expression of interest on the 28th May. I received confirmation on the 7th June that my form had been received and they were allocating candidates to departments.

I haven't heard anything since then so let me know if you hear. You're not the only one in this position.
Reply 2
Original post by Bails15
I was also sent an email about an EO position after not making the cut at the FSAC. I sent away my expression of interest on the 28th May. I received confirmation on the 7th June that my form had been received and they were allocating candidates to departments.

I haven't heard anything since then so let me know if you hear. You're not the only one in this position.

Hi mate,

I haven't received anything yet so a bit anxious about that. Did you send off the form via the email they sent? I presumed it was meant to be done that way.
Reply 3
Original post by Bails15

I received an acknowledgement email today. They said they'd probably be in contact within a couple of weeks
Reply 4
Original post by Bails15

hello mate,

I received an email the other day saying the Department for Transport were interested in my profile. Have you heard anything yet?
There are many EO positions you can apply for on the CS jobs website whether you receive an offer for Direct Appointment or not. Some departments offer graduate schemes (the Cabinet Office grad scheme is open now) which are particularly well suited to develop people for HEO roles. I applied to a few after I was rejected at the AC stage and managed to secure an EO Policy Advisor role at the Cabinet Office.

I am not sure how 'policy based' the EO roles offered during Direct Appointment Scheme are. If they are quite admin heavy I would definitely recommend applying directly yourself as you can be much more selective and go for roles that are more wide ranging with more opportunity for progression. The written application and interview are quite straightforward and short especially for someone who has experience of the FSAC application process.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Hey guys,

I'm in a similar situation regarding the potential EO positions available. I received an email this morning saying the Ministry of Justice are interested in my profile, and this afternoon I received a phone call to ask me some follow up questions (when can I start work/full or part time/geographic constraints). I'm left a little confused as to whether this means I will get a job with them, although my geographic restrictions are the North East/Yorkshire rather than the South where there are likely to be more vacancies. I asked when I'm likely to hear and the woman said she will be providing my updated information to different departments in MoJ and I should hear back from a line manager within a few weeks.

I hope this information is useful to anyone who is curious 😊 good luck to everyone waiting on an update!
Reply 7
I was also unsuccessful for the Fast Stream but have been contacted by the Direct Appointment Scheme...I have had confirmation my expression of interest form has been received but have had no further contact from them since the beginning of June. I wonder how likely it will be to actually get a job through this. I have specified Scotland as my geographical constraint so i'm not sure if this has affected things :/
Reply 8
Original post by luisakane
I was also unsuccessful for the Fast Stream but have been contacted by the Direct Appointment Scheme...I have had confirmation my expression of interest form has been received but have had no further contact from them since the beginning of June. I wonder how likely it will be to actually get a job through this. I have specified Scotland as my geographical constraint so i'm not sure if this has affected things :/

Also in a similar situation. I sent off my expression of interest at the end of May- still waiting to hear back. The process does seem a bit elusive. Considering that the form only asked for a bit of previous work experience, I wonder how they allocate applicants to a specific department.
Reply 9
Hi all,I am surprised to say that the Direct Appointment scheme has been relatively fast for me.After I filled out my expression of interest form, I was told the department I would be possibly working for within a week.I had a meeting with a few managers from the department who all gave a pitch on how their department works and my duties.My references have been checked, my ID documents have been checked and sent back and my security check is on its way back to the Fast Stream via 1st class mail...I should be getting my contract soon with my start day... I have also been getting phone calls from the Fast Stream admin team on my application and my thoughts on the process...I would advice everyone to chase up on their application if you haven't had a response yet. Additional information:I am based in London and I said I was available immediately.
Hey guys,I filled out my expression of interest form on the 23rd of May received an email on the 7th June that the foreign and commonwealth office were interested in my papers. They said they would contact me by the 6th July but it has gone past the date. I called them and emailed them and they said they would be in contact soon. Anyone else received a call yet from their department? The process has been very lengthy for me.
Hi all.

I just recently received a Direct Appointment offer for a HEO role in the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.

Sent off my expression of interest form (letter states getting a role is highly likely but not guaranteed yet). The timelines here don't give me much reassurance that this'll be a swift process but I can remain hopeful! :smile:

For anyone wondering, the HEO offers are being given to people who passed assessment centre with high scores but failed at the FSBs and didn't have another stream to fall back on like the Generalist.
(edited 6 years ago)
I was also contacted by the ministry of justice and had a call from HR about a potential EO role. I'm still awaiting contact from a line manager which should be in 2 to 3 weeks as they don't have definite timelines.
Reply 13
Original post by HappySmiles009
Hey guys,I filled out my expression of interest form on the 23rd of May received an email on the 7th June that the foreign and commonwealth office were interested in my papers. They said they would contact me by the 6th July but it has gone past the date. I called them and emailed them and they said they would be in contact soon. Anyone else received a call yet from their department? The process has been very lengthy for me.

I am the same as you as I was meant to be contacted by 6th July by FCO. Did they say anything else aside from that they would be in touch when you called? Thanks!
Reply 14
Original post by King of hearts
I was also contacted by the ministry of justice and had a call from HR about a potential EO role. I'm still awaiting contact from a line manager which should be in 2 to 3 weeks as they don't have definite timelines.

Hi,

Just being nosey as you also heard back from the Ministry of Justice like me...how long ago did you get the call?
Did you specify any geographic constraints?
And did you get the impression that they will be giving you a job, it's just a matter of waiting? That's how I felt but maybe I'm being too optimistic!!
Original post by Lumos95
Hi,

Just being nosey as you also heard back from the Ministry of Justice like me...how long ago did you get the call?
Did you specify any geographic constraints?
And did you get the impression that they will be giving you a job, it's just a matter of waiting? That's how I felt but maybe I'm being too optimistic!!

I was called a week after receiving an email from the direct appointment scheme that the MOJ was interested. I specified London and anywhere in the South in general as my preferences however I am geographically mobile. We had a fruitful conversation about the working culture with the young HR lady who called. It looks promising but depends on the line manager making initial contact.
Hey!So I did call up and email the DAS again. They said they have chased them up and that they should be in contact. There are 20 other candidates that are being offered roles from foreign office and they did not state a certain date that they would be in contact. Not sure what is going on tbh.Any luck from your end?
Got an email that the DfT was interested in my profile almost two weeks ago, and received an email yesterday with a job offer. No mention of level or salary, but naturally they make the job sound very good.
Reply 18
Original post by King of hearts
I was called a week after receiving an email from the direct appointment scheme that the MOJ was interested. I specified London and anywhere in the South in general as my preferences however I am geographically mobile. We had a fruitful conversation about the working culture with the young HR lady who called. It looks promising but depends on the line manager making initial contact.

Okay thanks! Fingers crossed for us that something comes up soon then. As grateful as I am for the potential opportunity, it's frustrating not knowing whether we should be looking for other jobs. For me, I don't think I'll find any that I prefer to the MoJ or that pays better in the north east.
Reply 19
Original post by HappySmiles009
Hey!So I did call up and email the DAS again. They said they have chased them up and that they should be in contact. There are 20 other candidates that are being offered roles from foreign office and they did not state a certain date that they would be in contact. Not sure what is going on tbh.Any luck from your end?

Ah okay, sounds like it is just a waiting game. I got an email back saying they were making contact with FCO and would be in touch soon. Will update if hear anything else!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending