The Student Room Group

What do you think?

Hello everyone,
I have a problem. Should I do things that make me happy or should I do things that make me unhappy but beneficial for my future happpiness (not guaranty) ?

Some people said, you should do what make you happy. For me, this can lead to positive attitudes and happiness.

Some people said, you should do what beneficial for your future happiness even if you're unhappy. For me, this can lead to negative attitudes and health problems.

Another question:
What if doing things that make me happy is beneficial for my present and future happiness (not guaranty) , which one should I choose?

My problem:
I want to quit my sixth form and take a rest for few months to improve my health and figure out what I want to do in life. If I stay at sixth form and do the thinking later, not guaranty that it will be what I want to do.
Should I take a few months rest or stay for one year plus and in the end regretting my.decision?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Rin1010
Hello everyone,
I have a problem. Should I do things that make me happy or should I do things that make me unhappy but beneficial for my future happpiness (not guaranty) ?

Some people said, you should do what make you happy. For me, this can lead to positive attitudes and happiness.

Some people said, you should do what beneficial for your future happiness even if you're unhappy. For me, this can lead to negative attitudes and health problems.

Another question:
What if doing things that make me happy is beneficial for my present and future happiness (not guaranty) , which one should I choose?

I have a mentality of short term loss long term gain.

I can't really say much else.
I would say do what makes you happy in the long run.
E.g. I don't enjoy studying all day for exams, but in the long run, I will be able to make a living + maybe more :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by SGHD26716
I have a mentality of short term loss long term gain.

I can't really say much else.

As a result of doing things that beneficial for the future happiness..that are stressful which lead to your short term loss?
Reply 4
Original post by Unnamed User
I would say do what makes you happy in the long run.
E.g. I don't enjoy studying all day for exams, but in the long run, I will be able to make a living + maybe more :biggrin:

It's not about how much will I gain for living but it's about how much happiness will I gain.
Reply 5
Original post by Rin1010
As a result of doing things that beneficial for the future happiness..that are stressful which lead to your short term loss?

Yeah I would. Exams were pretty stressful, but now I'm done.

Do what you think is right.
I took a year out to decide what I wanted to do,
It turns out I actually did want to go to sixth form and then onto university.

I'm glad I took the time out to really
Think because it made me really determined when I realised I was doing exactly what I wanted to do .

Without that breathing space , I feel I would have dragged myself through it with a negative mentally.

Ultimately , the final result would probably have been the same but I was much MUCH happier after I took the break. And what's 1 year really ? In the grand scheme of things ?
So you're wanting to quit to improve your figure and health? I think you can do all of them at a time for example you can have a certain time for study and other for going to the gym or meditation or something. You shouldnt lose out on your education because getting a good job these days are very hard and for you to both have a successful future and be able to obtain that great health and fitness just learn how to multitask by doing a time table for example
Hope that helped x
Reply 8
Original post by elforjg02
So you're wanting to quit to improve your figure and health? I think you can do all of them at a time for example you can have a certain time for study and other for going to the gym or meditation or something. You shouldnt lose out on your education because getting a good job these days are very hard and for you to both have a successful future and be able to obtain that great health and fitness just learn how to multitask by doing a time table for example
Hope that helped x

That's what I want to do but I can't do multitasking :/
Original post by Rin1010
That's what I want to do but I can't do multitasking :/

Have you tried sticking to a timetable?
Reply 10
Original post by elforjg02
Have you tried sticking to a timetable?

I made one but I can't follow it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending