The Student Room Group

DSA laptops - so basically they contribute £110?

They suggested a laptop worth £310. Since you need to pay the first £200 I'm guessing that means that no matter how much you upgrade it, they will only pay £110 towards it?

The specs of the standard laptop are quite bad, and the laptops on the DSA website are overpriced, and you can get something much better from other places for less money.

If I bought it from somewhere else would they still contribute the £110? And what about the software which they have decided that I need, will I get that if I buy the laptop from somewhere else?
Original post by Maria8343
They suggested a laptop worth £310. Since you need to pay the first £200 I'm guessing that means that no matter how much you upgrade it, they will only pay £110 towards it?

The specs of the standard laptop are quite bad, and the laptops on the DSA website are overpriced, and you can get something much better from other places for less money.

If I bought it from somewhere else would they still contribute the £110? And what about the software which they have decided that I need, will I get that if I buy the laptop from somewhere else?

They will only pay the minimum that they decide you need. If you decide to get a laptop elsewhere, they'll pay the £110 and you have to pay the rest. They will supply any recommended software.
Reply 2
Does anyone know how that works exactly?
Do you simply send the laptop receipt to the DSA assessor?
And how would you get the recommended software such as microsoft word and its license and all the other pieces of software? Would they just post you the dvd installer?
Reply 3
Original post by Maria8343

I'm confused here, aren't DSA laptops free?

Or did you want to get another make.

If I were you, I'd take the free laptop from the DSA and just buy the additional laptop you like because it would only be £110 more, if that makes sense.

I have had one laptop completely free on DSA
Original post by MJlover
I'm confused here, aren't DSA laptops free?

Or did you want to get another make.

If I were you, I'd take the free laptop from the DSA and just buy the additional laptop you like because it would only be £110 more, if that makes sense.

I have had one laptop completely free on DSA

They changed the rules in the last few years for SFE students. All SFE students have to pay £200.
I suggest you stop being greedy and be grateful that you're getting a substantial discount.
Reply 6
It's not really a substantial discount, though; the official suppliers are overpriced by at least a good chunk of that £110, and I don't know if it'll be worth the hassle of sourcing it on the open market, which means also having to source your own insurance and extended warranty.

I'm not in it for the whole "free laptop" thing that people used to get (I totally get that every student needs a laptop now, and so it can be argued that all DSA should provide is a top-up, from the amount you'd need to spend on an ultra-basic one, to the amount you need for one that's capable of running the software); I'm hoping for mentoring, recommendations for what accommodations my university should provide, help with my accommodation, and some of the software. The £110 is nice to have but compared to what you can get by shopping around, it's not really that impressive.
You're not forced to take the laptop. You can say no and buy your own.
Reply 8
Did I not just write an entire paragraph about the hassle of sourcing the laptop, insurance and warranty (which you'll need in order to get the software they recommend) on the open market?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Rattie
Did I not just write an entire paragraph about the hassle of sourcing the laptop, insurance and warranty (which you'll need in order to get the software they recommend) on the open market?

It's just a laptop. They're not that hard to get hold of. Nor is insurance for them.
OP, there should be clear instructions on the letter that SFE have sent to to you, advising what to do if you want to upgrade the laptop which has been recommended. Don't just go out and buy one without reading your letter first.
Reply 11
Original post by Rattie

No you didn't. You just made a statement that it would be a hassle. It won't be. Just get the specs from your recommendation document and go to PC World. You can be out the door with an appropriate laptop, insurance and warranty in half an hour.

But I would go with Lovesick's suggestion about checking the upgrade options you already have.
Reply 12
I know the options I and I already did; luckily the supplier I'm going with has the laptop I wanted. But at £70 than Amazon. Which is a PITA. But never mind.
Original post by Tiger Rag
They changed the rules in the last few years for SFE students. All SFE students have to pay £200.

What does SFE stand for?
Original post by Kingston2730
What does SFE stand for?

Student Finance England
Thankyou! I am assuming the same £200 contribution towards laptops is required here in Northern Ireland? Anyone know?
Original post by Kingston2730
Thankyou! I am assuming the same £200 contribution towards laptops is required here in Northern Ireland? Anyone know?

I've not heard of it. But you'd have to check with your funding body.
I don't know why people are jumping on the OP. Where I live I'm getting about $1500 toward a laptop. £110 isn't much help.
Nothing wrong with,, um pirates, and umm software.

Seriously avoid these offers. You can find a better deal for a laptop yourself along with your student discount.
Black friday has amazing deals, best time to get something expensive is then. You can usually get 10% off minimum.
Remember that the laptop prices quoted on your assessment report will include an element of after sales support, which has to be really good for the suppliers to get DSA QAG accreditation.

Quick Reply

Latest