The Student Room Group

Bad AS Level results but good A Level

Will universities take me for medicene if i get bad as level results but good a level ?
Reply 1
Original post by Abdul Farid
Will universities take me for medicene if i get bad as level results but good a level ?

AS levels will lead to predictions. As long as you're predicted AAA in bio chem and something else they wouldn't care about your AS levels.

https://www.themedicportal.com/medical-schools-as-levels-2017-entry/

How will they know about your a-level results when you apply?
Reply 3
Original post by JammieDodger27
How will they know about your a-level results when you apply?

I meant if i flop my as levels will universities take me over clearing at the end if i get good alevels
Reply 4
Original post by SGHD26716
AS levels will lead to predictions. As long as you're predicted AAA in bio chem and something else they wouldn't care about your AS levels.

https://www.themedicportal.com/medical-schools-as-levels-2017-entry/

For instance i flop my as and universities dont accpet me do i have chance again if i did better in my alevels
Medicine doesn't go into clearing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I meant if i flop my as levels will universities take me over clearing at the end if i get good alevels

Medicine isn't usually in clearing

For instance i flop my as and universities dont accpet me do i have chance again if i did better in my alevels

Yes. You can apply for 2019 entry with achieved A levels.
Reply 7
Medicine isn't usually in clearing

Yes. You can apply for 2019 entry with achieved A levels.

So i have to take a gap year

if you are predicted entry requirement grades for the uni of choice and have a strong personal statement, you might. Otherwise you'll need to go via a gap year route (or clearing - i dont know if clearing works for medicine though). having achieved your good A'levels spend the gap year doing things like volunteering in hospitals.
Ignore the ones saying you won't find medicine in clearing - there were plenty last year. Obviously it's not like say criminology for example but there will be places somewhere.
Reply 10
Original post by LGBTvoice
Ignore the ones saying you won't find medicine in clearing - there were plenty last year. Obviously it's not like say criminology for example but there will be places somewhere.

There were 2 universities-- St George's and Plymouth. Hardly plenty.
Reply 11
So i have to take a gap year

If you aren't predicted AAA, then yes. Unless you get lucky and find a uni in clearing
There were 2 universities-- St George's and Plymouth. Hardly plenty.

It was the first year they had ever gone through clearing. Expect the number to increase in years to come :smile:
If you aren't predicted AAA, then yes. Unless you get lucky and find a uni in clearing

So there is no other option ?

Also can you apply to medicene from adjustment

Thanks
Reply 14
So there is no other option ?

Also can you apply to medicene from adjustment

Thanks

You can't apply to medicine through adjustment

The standard way is applying in Year 13. If you're lucky clearing or take a gap year.
Couple of options here

1) Apply in year 13 with strong A-Level predictions
2) Take gap year and apply with strong A-Level results
3) Study a different degree and go into a graduate medicine course
4) Study something else / Don't go to university

If you're dead set on medicine, then obviously option 4 won't be a great option. However, if you're not passionate about medicine or aren't going to get the grades then it could be the best option.

You can do option 1 and then option 2/3 if you want to. You can apply in year 13 and after a gap year (if you're rejected in year 13).

Quick Reply

Latest