The Student Room Group

An unexpected gap year - thread

If you told me two months ago that my most likely course of action after A-levels was a gap year, I would have laughed. But currently it looks like a greater possibility than meeting my firm offer because exams didn't go to plan.

Due to the fact I most likely haven't met my offer of A*AA for Durham and I don't *really* want to go elsewhere - I will probably be taking a gap year.

General tasks:
- retake any exams required
- earn money for uni and travel
- travel
- volunteer

Therefore I've created this thread to share my adventures and get some ideas! Whereabouts should I look to travel to?! Have you had any experiences with something similar?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamestg
If you told me two months ago that my most likely course of action after A-levels was a gap year, I would have laughed. But currently it looks like a greater possibility than meeting my firm offer because exams didn't go to plan.

Due to the fact I most likely haven't met my offer of A*AA for Durham and I don't *really* want to go elsewhere - I will probably be taking a gap year.

General tasks:
- travel
- volunteer

Therefore I've created this thread to share my adventures and get some ideas! Whereabouts should I look to travel to?! Have you had any experiences with something similar?

Good luck Mr James, a shame you didn't have your heart set on Bath in the end :lol:

I hope your exams went better than you expected.
I still think you might surprise yourself on August 17th, but nevertheless I will follow this thread closely. :hugs:
http://mitadmissions.org/blogs/entry/mit_you_make_me_wanna_wait
I read this article back when I was thinking about staying in the US for University (about 3 years ago), and it opened my eyes to the prospect being not so terrible. In theory a gap year's good you get to save money, explore the world (maybe), try new things you would've never done otherwise, and so on. I actually floated the idea to my sister last year, when she too was about to enter University..

She liked the idea well enough, and took one. However my father didn't like the idea as much as her and I, so it turned into a ****-show. Screaming matches, and overall drama until she kicked off to University. The idea of taking a gap year has since been put to bed for myself, I couldn't imagine going through that drama again but be the target of it all.. Plus, I honestly would rather leave my parents for a good year or so, instead of stay.
Reply 4
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
Good luck Mr James, a shame you didn't have your heart set on Bath in the end :lol:

Thank you and so do I 😂

Original post by SteamboatMickey
I still think you might surprise yourself on August 17th, but nevertheless I will follow this thread closely. :hugs:

I really hope so haha, but if not my plans atm seem pretty good!

Original post by flatline
http://mitadmissions.org/blogs/entry/mit_you_make_me_wanna_wait
I read this article back when I was thinking about staying in the US for University (about 3 years ago), and it opened my eyes to the prospect being not so terrible. In theory a gap year's good you get to save money, explore the world (maybe), try new things you would've never done otherwise, and so on. I actually floated the idea to my sister last year, when she too was about to enter University..

She liked the idea well enough, and took one. However my father didn't like the idea as much as her and I, so it turned into a ****-show. Screaming matches, and overall drama until she kicked off to University. The idea of taking a gap year has since been put to bed for myself, I couldn't imagine going through that drama again but be the target of it all.. Plus, I honestly would rather leave my parents for a good year or so, instead of stay.

I've told my mum but not my dad yet, hopefully will go down okay but I'm not banking on anything...

Thanks for the article though! Has confirmed what I've been thinking :smile:
Original post by jamestg

General tasks:
- travel
- volunteer

I missed my offer (dunno if they'll accept me yet) but I might be taking a gap year anyways. I will probably be primarily earning money and retaking one/ two/ three subjects depending on remarks etc...

I hope you get into Durham though :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
So I've been looking at working until late June, leaving room for any potential retakes. Then the day after C4 next year, most likely my last potential retake, I could be off to South Africa, Zambia and India for 9 weeks!

Not a bad year off!
Good luck
Reply 8
Original post by wolfmoon88
I missed my offer (dunno if they'll accept me yet) but I might be taking a gap year anyways. I will probably be primarily earning money and retaking one/ two/ three subjects depending on remarks etc...

I hope you get into Durham though :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nooooooo! I'm so sorry to hear that :frown: you've worked so hard :frown: my fingers are crossed that you'll be let in!! Do you find out on A level results day?

Thank you and I really hope so too but I'm pretty doubtful atm
Reply 9
Original post by FarhanSharif
Good luck

Thanks!
Original post by jamestg
Nooooooo! I'm so sorry to hear that :frown: you've worked so hard :frown: my fingers are crossed that you'll be let in!! Do you find out on A level results day?

Thank you and I really hope so too but I'm pretty doubtful atm

Thank you :redface: I find out some time this week. Regardless I might be taking a gap year anyways so it's fine, just frustrated cuz I felt like none of the 50/50 gambles I made in the exams paid off.

:hugs: I am sure everything will be fine! stay hopeful until the last moment!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by wolfmoon88
Thank you :redface: I find out some time this week. Regardless I might be taking a gap year anyways so it's fine, just frustrated cuz I felt like none of the 50/50 gambles I made in the exams paid off.

:hugs: I am sure everything will be fine! stay hopeful until the last moment!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck!!! I feel exactly the same :frown: nothing paid off so I just feel like I wasted the biggest opportunity ever :frown:

I'll try to stay hopeful! Tho atm I'm very happy not knowing my results hahahahahaha! 😂😭
Reply 12
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne

Definitely a + rep for Bath!
Original post by jamestg
Good luck!!! I feel exactly the same :frown: nothing paid off so I just feel like I wasted the biggest opportunity ever :frown:

I'll try to stay hopeful! Tho atm I'm very happy not knowing my results hahahahahaha! 😂😭

Thank you! Almost all of my subjects are within remark range except for one which is the only one that mattered for my offer. honestly was just shocked.

I am sure you'll be in a better situation compared to me :hugs: I am sure at least some of yours paid off!

Same, I didn't think about it until like two days before! cuz you know gotta live a little before then! :lol:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SteamboatMickey

Wouldn't be surprised if A*/A proportion falls tbh.
I used to read your GYG thread (even back in Year 12!) and I was in a pretty similar position to you- I was on track to get all As in my A-levels and I was going to be applying to top universities but things went pear-shaped this year in Year 13 so I too will be taking a gap year.
It's interesting how things turn out but I think it's easy for students to underestimate the difficulty of the Year 2 A-level exams, especially on top of the stress and pressure that will have built up over the two years.

Anyway, I'll be following this thread and wishing you the best of luck for whatever you decide to do :smile:.

Just out of interest, say if you ended up getting something like AAB on results day, would you not be tempted to go to somewhere through clearing?
Reply 16
Original post by AnIndianGuy
Wouldn't be surprised if A*/A proportion falls tbh.

Same </3

Although the government have said that the proportions will be the same from previous years for the new a levels, however what happens with the old ones is anyone's guess...

Original post by LeCroissant
I used to read your GYG thread (even back in Year 12!) and I was in a pretty similar position to you- I was on track to get all As in my A-levels and I was going to be applying to top universities but things went pear-shaped this year in Year 13 so I too will be taking a gap year.
It's interesting how things turn out but I think it's easy for students to underestimate the difficulty of the Year 2 A-level exams, especially on top of the stress and pressure that will have built up over the two years.

Anyway, I'll be following this thread and wishing you the best of luck for whatever you decide to do :smile:.

Just out of interest, say if you ended up getting something like AAB on results day, would you not be tempted to go to somewhere through clearing?

Thank you and good luck to you too!!

I think I would go into clearing if I was far from meeting my offer. If it simple means retaking an exam or two, I won't settle and I'll reapply because a gap year and Durham would provide so many more opportunities than just any clearing choice!

Thinking about it, I really wouldn't mind just missing my Durham offer and then being offered deferred entry (like many on here) because researching stuff I can do next year is getting me really excited!!
Original post by jamestg
Same </3

Although the government have said that the proportions will be the same from previous years for the new a levels, however what happens with the old ones is anyone's guess...

Thank you and good luck to you too!!

I think I would go into clearing if I was far from meeting my offer. If it simple means retaking an exam or two, I won't settle and I'll reapply because a gap year and Durham would provide so many more opportunities than just any clearing choice!

Thinking about it, I really wouldn't mind just missing my Durham offer and then being offered deferred entry (like many on here) because researching stuff I can do next year is getting me really excited!!

Lol you know if I firmed UCL I think I would have missed my offer after my brain melted during C3. A* maths is 50/50 rn
Reply 18
Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 23.54.05BST.png

So had the day off work today and it's been a fairly productive day!!

I've applied to volunteer in Zambia for three weeks and then South Africa for three weeks next summer which I'm really excited about! Luckily there is no commitment so if I end up not taking a gap year I lose nothing, but if I do I will hopefully gain a place!!

I've also been planning to do some cool activities while I'm out and so far I've got going on a zip wire across Victoria Falls, bungee jumping off Victoria Falls Bridge in Zambia, white water rafting along the Zambezi river and paragliding off Signal Hill (a big hill) in Cape Town! If I do take this gap year, it's gonna be such a great year :biggrin:
Reply 19
OMG I just got accepted for Zambia!!!

If I'm taking a gap year... I AM GOING TO ZAMBIA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest