The Student Room Group

How old is too old? (Relationship advice)

I'm 23.

Just to clarify, I am NOT a gold digger - I genuinely prefer older guys both in terms of personality and looks. (I have a good job, earn an okay salary and I live completely independently (pay my own way)).

I've always got on with people older than me, preferring my older siblings or parents' friends to be around. All my hobbies are typical 'pensioner' hobbies - stately homes etc. I struggle to find much in common with people my age in terms of interest. I find a lot of guys my age immature and shallow.

I'm just an old head on young shoulders.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't think there's such thing as 'too old' really, if you get along, and are on the same page.
I don't think age really matters for as you such, you're 23, you're not exactly a kid anymore! The general rule is your age (a)-7x2. So, for example, 23-7 = 16. Then x2 = 32. Which I would agree with personally, someone in their 30s dating someone in their 20s really isn't that bad.

Hope that helps:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Cardozo1858
I don't think age really matters for as you such, you're 23, you're not exactly a kid anymore! The general rule is your age (a)-7x2. So, for example, 23-7 = 16. Then x2 = 32. Which I would agree with personally, someone in their 30s dating someone in their 20s really isn't that bad.

These formulas are a load of rubbish imo, my dad was 25, mum was 18 when they started dating. They are still married today, and my dad is in his 60's

just date anyone you find attractive and think you have something in common with

If love could be put into a formula then the divorce rates wouldn't be teetering around 50% would they..........
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ANM775
These formulas are a load of rubbish imo, my dad was 25, mum was 18 when they started dating. They are still married today, and my dad is in his 60's

just date anyone you find attractive and think you have something in common with

If love could be put into a formula then the divorce rates wouldn't be teetering around 50% would they..........

The formula isn't wrong... it fits your parents perfectly XD
Reply 5
Original post by mysticmagic2000
The formula isn't wrong... it fits your parents perfectly XD

25/2= 12.5

12.5 + 7 =19.5

According to the formula my mum was too young as the formula says she needs to be 19.5 years old
A lot of women prefer older guys. Do what you want
Reply 7
You should be able to be happy no matter what age (as long as it's legal) you shouldn't question who and what you Love, im 14 and know that you should be happy with whoever
Too old is when you call him daddy and people think he is actually your father.
It's your relationship. Do what makes you happy and not others.
I think you guys have underestimated what I meant when I said older... I'm talking about someone at least twice my age really...

I get what you mean by 7 years being normal - my parents have that age gap.
me and my boyfriend have 15 years between us (he's 35 I'm 20) and we don't have any problems with it. I'm still internally a bit off about it because unfortunately I care what people think too much, but not enough to consider splitting. Moral of the story though, if you're both mentally on the same page and it's legal, why should it matter?
Original post by Anonymous
me and my boyfriend have 15 years between us (he's 35 I'm 20) and we don't have any problems with it. I'm still internally a bit off about it because unfortunately I care what people think too much, but not enough to consider splitting. Moral of the story though, if you're both mentally on the same page and it's legal, why should it matter?
woah that is a really huge age gap. you are at completely different stages in your life but do what makes you happy i guess:smile:
Girls like them older, Men generally like them younger.

Don't see the point of your question, everyone is different to age limits.
woah that is a really huge age gap. you are at completely different stages in your life but do what makes you happy i guess:smile:

We're not really in different stages to be honest. Yes in terms of work/education etc, but definitely not mentally which I think is what counts.

He's not in a rush to settle down, have kids etc. He still goes to Benidorm with his mates twice a year on a 'lad's holiday'.
I'm not interested in most things of my generation I guess. I'm not bothered about exploring experiences whilst I'm young or soul-seeking, going on 'lass' holidays' etc.

So he's young for his age and I'm old for mine, we sort of meet nicely in the middle 😂 My only wish is that more people would stop being so judgmental about a relationship they know nothing about just because of age... but I'm very happy with him so nothing's gonna change 😊
How old is too old is dependent on you. If you're both happy and it's legal then he's not "too old"

Spoiler

Original post by Cardozo1858

This formula is a load of crap tbh
We're not really in different stages to be honest. Yes in terms of work/education etc, but definitely not mentally which I think is what counts.

He's not in a rush to settle down, have kids etc. He still goes to Benidorm with his mates twice a year on a 'lad's holiday'.
I'm not interested in most things of my generation I guess. I'm not bothered about exploring experiences whilst I'm young or soul-seeking, going on 'lass' holidays' etc.

So he's young for his age and I'm old for mine, we sort of meet nicely in the middle 😂 My only wish is that more people would stop being so judgmental about a relationship they know nothing about just because of age... but I'm very happy with him so nothing's gonna change 😊

This is exactly how it is with me and my boyfriend. You do genuinely start caring less and less what others think as time goes by and you feel more comfortable with your partner.

Latest

Trending

Trending