The Student Room Group

underage paypal

i want to make a paypal to make it easier to use depop, ebay etc but im 16 and the age limit for paypal is 18. ive read that a lot of under18s have paypals but still feel uneasy- especially when its asking for my date of birth when signing up.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It works until you reach your yearly limit, at which point they ask for age verification.

They will check this against the date your account was created, if you were underage when the account was made, they lock down the paypal account.

Until that point, it is mostly ok, though still against their ToS.
They just won't check.
Reply 2
Original post by Slippy
It works until you reach your yearly limit, at which point they ask for age verification.

They will check this against the date your account was created, if you were underage when the account was made, they lock down the paypal account.

Until that point, it is mostly ok, though still against their ToS.
They just won't check.

Thank you! So if when I do turn 18 I verify that I'm actually 18 and so underage when I made the account, will I not be able to have a Paypal account again?
It's possible but risky
You have to verify a PayPal account with your bank account and a credit or debit card
If you have these then it's up to you if you want to risk it.
Because it's a financial account they will run a credit check. Then there is a significant chance of being caught
If they suspect they can ask for copies of birth certificate and or driving license/passport.
Then you'll be banned forever from PayPal and they may record it on your credit file It would show as fraud so you could risk your finances for a very long time.
The other alternative is to be an unverified seller but there are very few buyers who will buy from you in that case. It looks as if you have something to hide. And you do
A few years ago it would have been easy but they e tightened up recently
Far better to get your mum/dad/ other relative to open one for you until you're 18. But bear in mind they are legally responsible if something goes wrong so they may not be keen
NO you won't. Ever.
There are other consequences. They will also verify earlier once you've had £100 paid in. If you don't comply your account will be suspended anyway
Original post by srabosti12
Thank you! So if when I do turn 18 I verify that I'm actually 18 and so underage when I made the account, will I not be able to have a Paypal account again?
Reply 5
Yeah they let you make a new account, as you are accepting their ToS as an 18 year old.

I asked them about this over the phone and they confirmed it's ok. They just won't unlock your old account.
They don't run a credit check.
I'm 15 and had an active PayPal for 2 years. I've been buying and selling game accounts and not once have PayPal asked me for any verification!
Reply 8
Original post by princessmaire80
They don't run a credit check.

Not a hard search, but they do identification checks which will show as a soft search.

OP, I can assure you that times have changed, and PayPal UK are much stricter now due to money laundering regulations. Your account will be closed ridiculously quickly.
Original post by IWMTom
Not a hard search, but they do identification checks which will show as a soft search.

You 100% certain about that? I opened my PayPal account quite recently (I had always resisted having one until about 4 months ago) and I've just been through my Experian, Equifax and CallCredit reports and there's no search from PayPal on any of them.....
Reply 10
You 100% certain about that? I opened my PayPal account quite recently (I had always resisted having one until about 4 months ago) and I've just been through my Experian, Equifax and CallCredit reports and there's no search from PayPal on any of them.....

Yep, absolutely certain. You'll see it listed as an "identification check", the same as if you opened an account with a bookie.
Original post by IWMTom
Yep, absolutely certain. You'll see it listed as an "identification check", the same as if you opened an account with a bookie.

Yep I know what I was looking for- used to work in the industry.
The only identification checks I found were from when I signed up to the credit file things plus the one from when I opened an account with William Hill to place a bet on the National. Definitely not one from PayPal.
Reply 12
Yep I know what I was looking for- used to work in the industry.
The only identification checks I found were from when I signed up to the credit file things plus the one from when I opened an account with William Hill to place a bet on the National. Definitely not one from PayPal.

When you say you opened your account recently - how recently? As you worked in the industry, you know how long it can take for these searches to pop up.
Original post by IWMTom
When you say you opened your account recently - how recently? As you worked in the industry, you know how long it can take for these searches to pop up.

About five months ago. Definitely around the start of the year as the email address I used was my uni one and I only started using it in mid to late January- it was one of the first things I used it for.
Reply 14
About five months ago. Definitely around the start of the year as the email address I used was my uni one and I only started using it in mid to late January- it was one of the first things I used it for.

Odd. It might be that they won't bother checking until you hit a threshold.
Reply 15
They requested me to send in ID so I photoshopped my passport and they accepted it
Reply 16
Original post by Kain10
They requested me to send in ID so I photoshopped my passport and they accepted it

Good job admitting to a number of criminal offences on a public bulletin board.
Reply 17
Original post by IWMTom

Very much depends it’s not fraud due to it not being in the physical form plus who cares Paypal are thieves we need the right to use PayPal as much as anyone else
Reply 18
Original post by IWMTom

And also if you knew a basic understanding or law you’d know anything PUBLIC cannot he used as evidence it compromises the dury
Reply 19
Original post by Kain10
Very much depends it’s not fraud due to it not being in the physical form plus who cares Paypal are thieves we need the right to use PayPal as much as anyone else

It is fraud...

Original post by Kain10
And also if you knew a basic understanding or law you’d know anything PUBLIC cannot he used as evidence it compromises the dury

Quite ironic you state that and then go on to call the jury a "dury"...

You're an absolute liability.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending