The Student Room Group

A-Level Maths and Further Maths

Is it possible to take the old specification AS Maths and Further Maths next year 2018 then do A2 in 2019 despite its supposed to be for re-takes? Any answer is appreciated thanks.
Can anyone help me please?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Sorry but I don't know much about what goes on with the new A-levels.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Sorry but I don't know much about what goes on with the new A-levels.

It's ok, thank you for replying. :smile:
Original post by forceH
Is it possible to take the old specification AS Maths and Further Maths next year 2018 then do A2 in 2019 despite its supposed to be for re-takes? Any answer is appreciated thanks.

Resit rules are here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/timeline-of-changes-to-gcses-as-and-a-levels/changes-to-gcses-as-and-a-levels-that-will-affect-each-current-school-year-group
Reply 6
I don't think so, as the new specification starts from this September.

Thanks, does that mean that I can't then? AS in 2018 and A2 in 2019 for the old spec even though 2019 is only for re-sits.
Original post by forceH
Thanks, does that mean that I can't then? AS in 2018 and A2 in 2019 for the old spec even though 2019 is only for re-sits.

If you want to start 2 year A levels in Maths and Further Maths in September 2017 then you need to study the new specifications. Do you have concerns about this? The standard of difficulty is unchanged.
Original post by Mr M
If you want to start 2 year A levels in Maths and Further Maths in September 2017 then you need to study the new specifications. Do you have concerns about this? The standard of difficulty is unchanged.

Oh ok I was worried that if I self study then I won't have much resources since it's new. This new one, can AS for both Maths and FM be done in 2018 then A2 in 2019? Or is it all exams are done in 2019?
Original post by forceH
Oh ok I was worried that if I self study then I won't have much resources since it's new. This new one, can AS for both Maths and FM be done in 2018 then A2 in 2019? Or is it all exams are done in 2019?

You can take AS exams but they do not contribute to the final result.
Original post by Mr M
You can take AS exams but they do not contribute to the final result.

Oh ok, so it's fine to do that? So the AS will be stand alone?
Original post by forceH
Oh ok, so it's fine to do that? So the AS will be stand alone?

Yes.
Original post by Mr M
Yes.

Thank you. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest