The Student Room Group

Do you think that a Computing Degree is better than no degree at all

d then a second and then a third while working
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by MartinVasilev95
I've been accepted into Coventry university and all the other 4 universities by the way but my question is this.
I chose computer science because I thought that it was "computers" but then looking at some of the lectures on youtube and around it is really a programming/system architecture/coding which does not appeal to me to any great degree so the university does offer Computing as another course and I've been using computers for a long time so I have that inclination.So a Computing degree is better than a failed CS degree ? Sorry for the bad structure any spelling mistakes .Any answers appreciated

A 2:1+ in Computing (or IT which might be the course you really should be looking at) is better than a 2:2 or worse in CompSci.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1533281

I do not think you will like Computing either.
Reply 3
Original post by s4b3rt00th
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1533281

I do not think you will like Computing either.

It entirely depends on the course content - the Coventry Computing course is very different to Imperial's.
I've been accepted into Coventry university and all the other 4 universities by the way but my question is this.
I chose computer science because I thought that it was "computers" but then looking at some of the lectures on youtube and around it is really a programming/system architecture/coding which does not appeal to me to any great degree so the university does offer Computing as another course and I've been using computers for a long time so I have that inclination.So a Computing degree is better than a failed CS degree ? Sorry for the bad structure any spelling mistakes .Any answers appreciated

What is it in particular about the computing course at Coventry that stands out to you?

Personally, you're better off learning the fundamentals that CS teaches as it provides a stronger base to branch out from but that's up to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Computer Science is beyond the practical or vocational side of computers. If you're interested in computing like being a system admin and configuring and setting up computers then computer science is likely not the right subject.

Computer science is more theoretical, looking at the science of computation itself, how a problem can be deconstructed so that a computer can solve it etc...

It's not simply just programming although programming is an important part of it. But it doesn't sound like computer science is the course you want.

What profession or role are you hoping to get once you have your degree?
Reply 6
think of computing as a branch of computer science. just like business management and marketing management. from my university experience computing is the more programming, practical side of IT. you'll learn how to code, build websites and software, databases and so on in depth.
computer science is more touching nearly every field of IT, from computing, data handling to theory and maths used in a computer as well as IT law. think of it as the science behind a computer. but i know it changes a lot in different universities.
it is also down on what job you want to do. if you're sure you want to do software development then computing would be ideal, but computer science allows you to explore more options.
Original post by BigYoSpeck
Computer Science is beyond the practical or vocational side of computers. If you're interested in computing like being a system admin and configuring and setting up computers then computer science is likely not the right subject.

Computer science is more theoretical, looking at the science of computation itself, how a problem can be deconstructed so that a computer can solve it etc...

It's not simply just programming although programming is an important part of it. But it doesn't sound like computer science is the course you want.

What profession or role are you hoping to get once you have your degree?

Agreed with your assessment. Computing, ICT or Computer Engineering might be more in line with what the OP wants.
Computing is a cooler word for computer science. ICL call their CS course 'Computing' Personally I think you should reconsider your uni choices because any computer based course won't appeal to you if you dislike programming.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending