The Student Room Group

Is there any difference in IB chances/opportunities for Economics at UCL vs LSE?

LSE is my firm, UCL is my insurance but I think I might be going to my insurance realistically.

Is there are huge difference between LSE and UCL in terms of job opportunities in IB (and other job areas as well)?

Would like as much info as possible as I didn't do much research before, was more focusing on exams (if that's an excuse at all lol)

Cheers guys.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Teenage Hype
LSE is my firm, UCL is my insurance but I think I might be going to my insurance realistically.

Is there are huge difference between LSE and UCL in terms of job opportunities in IB (and other job areas as well)?

Would like as much info as possible as I didn't do much research before, was more focusing on exams (if that's an excuse at all lol)

Cheers guys.

For IB: 0 difference please check the FAQs
Original post by Samendra
For IB: 0 difference please check the FAQs

Thanks. Sorry if this is insulting, but where is this information from? How do you know that IB firms aren't biased towards one uni or the other?

Could this difference in unis affect other careers then if it doesn't affect IB careers (if anyone knows a bit off topic)?
Thanks. Sorry if this is insulting, but where is this information from? How do you know that IB firms aren't biased towards one uni or the other?

Could this difference in unis affect other careers then if it doesn't affect IB careers (if anyone knows a bit off topic)?

This is well established, basically data is collected from new analysts at BB's and EB's per uni and LSE, UCL, Oxbridge, Imperial and Warwick are about the same these are known as targets, there are semi-targets which are the like of kings, bath, exeter, notts etc.. then the rest which are non targets.

For non IB, unless you are applying for MBB firms, LSE will help they target Oxbridge but you can consider LSE/imperial as strong semi targets.
(edited 6 years ago)
This is well established, basically data is collected from new analysts at BB's and EB's per uni and LSE, UCL, Oxbridge, Imperial and Warwick are about the same these are known as targets, there are semi-targets which are the like of kings, bath, exeter, notts etc.. then the rest which are non targets.

For non IB, unless you are applying for MBB firms, LSE will help they target Oxbridge but you can consider LSE/imperial as strong semi targets.

Sorry, what is an MBB firm?

And so if they target Oxbridge, and LSE/Imperial are semi-targets, does that mean UCL has a lower chance to get a place in non-IB firms then?

Thanks

And so if they target Oxbridge, and LSE/Imperial are semi-targets, does that mean UCL has a lower chance to get a place in non-IB firms then?

Thanks

Management Consultancy firms like McKinsey, BCG etc..
Well purely according to the stats yea, kinda. I am not an expert @Princepieman a little help?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6

Thanks

LSE is a target and better than the others for NY. For London it's the same.
Management Consultancy firms like McKinsey, BCG etc..
Well purely according to the stats yea, kinda..

Ahh okay, where do you get these stats from may I ask and can I have access to them? (if they're able to be interpreted by myself)

Also, what are the key differences between MBB/IB firms and non-MBB/IB firms in terms of job lifestyle/pay/hours etc? Why would someone work in a non-MBB/IB firm in other words?
Original post by usualsuspects
LSE is a target and better than the others for NY. For London it's the same.

He is applying for London, I presume, for MBB firms I dont think LSE is a target, pretty sure 80-90% of top MBB firms are oxbridge with the rest coming mainly from lse/imp/ucl/warwick etc..
Ahh okay, where do you get these stats from may I ask and can I have access to them? (if they're able to be interpreted by myself)

Also, what are the key differences between MBB/IB firms and non-MBB/IB firms in terms of job lifestyle/pay/hours etc? Why would someone work in a non-MBB/IB firm in other words?

You can find them on google, and again google these questions they have been answered before. IB and MBB are completely different IB deals with stock trading, M&A etc..while MBB firms are more advisory and are consultancies that is a very basic answer if you want more detailed explanations then google it. IB are long hours and starting salary is about 50k MBB firms are generally more relaxed, no idea of starting salaries though.
Reply 10
He is applying for London, I presume, for MBB firms I dont think LSE is a target, pretty sure 80-90% of top MBB firms are oxbridge with the rest coming mainly from lse/imp/ucl/warwick etc..

What are you rambling about? That is wrong and he is applying for investment banking - repeat that with me - Investment banking. I guess your degree is quantitative.

Don't listen to this incoherent troll.

Thanks

Not uniformly, no. BCG and Bain have a good relationship with UCL just that LSE probably has more people going (and more applying) to these firms every year.

At the end of the day you have two solid universities in your UCAS application, no point splitting hairs now.
Original post by usualsuspects
What are you rambling about? That is wrong and he is applying for investment banking - repeat that with me - Investment banking. I guess your degree is quantitative.

Don't listen to this incoherent troll.

Look back at the conversation, I answered his IB question he was talking about MBB firms.
Original post by Princepieman
Not uniformly, no. BCG and Bain have a good relationship with UCL just that LSE probably has more people going (and more applying) to these firms every year.

At the end of the day you have two solid universities in your UCAS application, no point splitting hairs now.

Thank you.

So I'm guessing UCL and LSE are very very similar in job prospects (for IB and MBB)? I always assumed LSE was a lot better due to the competitiveness of the course (around 15% offer rate vs 30% of UCL). Oh woe is me, wish I'd have done my research before.

I wish I could see and manipulate these stats that you guys all seem to have access too! So the other guy was interpreting the stats wrong then, less people are applying from UCL hence less people are employed is what you're saying (for MBB)?
Thank you.

So I'm guessing UCL and LSE are very very similar in job prospects (for IB and MBB)? I always assumed LSE was a lot better due to the competitiveness of the course (around 15% offer rate vs 30% of UCL). Oh woe is me, wish I'd have done my research before.

I wish I could see and manipulate these stats that you guys all seem to have access too! So the other guy was interpreting the stats wrong then, less people are applying from UCL hence less people are employed is what you're saying (for MBB)?

Lol, acceptance doesn't mean anything. As far as banking is concerned there is 0 difference in the way they are treated. LSE might get slightly more attention from strat consulting firms but it's down to the individual at the end of the day not their uni name.

Just do some digging yourself. Get on linkedin and crunch the numbers. Ask consultants what unis were represented in their entry level class..

Well, I mean, unless you're a recruiter you won't know the true reason.. Best you can do is notice trends from the data available any conclusions will be subjective.
Original post by Princepieman
Lol, acceptance doesn't mean anything. As far as banking is concerned there is 0 difference in the way they are treated. LSE might get slightly more attention from strat consulting firms but it's down to the individual at the end of the day not their uni name.

Just do some digging yourself. Get on linkedin and crunch the numbers. Ask consultants what unis were represented in their entry level class..

Well, I mean, unless you're a recruiter you won't know the true reason.. Best you can do is notice trends from the data available any conclusions will be subjective.

Thanks. What is an SW offer btw? Came across so many new abbreviations my head is like wtf

Would you personally recommend IB or MBB? I was thinking a few years IB then go into MBB later?

And why is IB/MBB so much better than other economics related job sectors? Thanks
Thanks. What is an SW offer btw? Came across so many new abbreviations my head is like wtf

Would you personally recommend IB or MBB? I was thinking a few years IB then go into MBB later?

And why is IB/MBB so much better than other economics related job sectors? Thanks

Spring week: 3-14 day program giving you an insight into a bank and a specific division (or set of divisions) meant for people with graduation dates 2 years after the year the program is in. There's usually a formal process to "convert" that into a summer internship offer. the following year.

Well, idk, I'm not you. Do some research on the differences between strategy consulting and investment banking - there is a goldmine of info out there.

They're not. They're just generalist entry level jobs open to pretty much any adequately intelligent person regardless of what subject they did. There's a sense of prestige attached to them because everyone and their dog wants the high pay, "exit opportunities" into other career/educational paths and the generalist skillset they offer. It's like a way of extending making any real career decisions whilst getting compensated.

More like 50-60% Oxbridge.
Reply 18
Just a slight advantage for LSE, LSE Econ is one of the most sought-after degrees for IB
Original post by apcr097
Just a slight advantage for LSE, LSE Econ is one of the most sought-after degrees for IB

No degree is sought after, literally 0 difference whatever the degree you do, only the uni matters

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending