The Student Room Group

AQA Government and Politics- 5th, 8th June , 12th June, 20th June

Just a general discussion for AS and A level Government and politics,

How high do you think the grade boundaries will be?
How hard do you think the exam was?

I know the exam was like 2 weeks ago but still!

Im super bored ahaha

Scroll to see replies

I reckon the exams were pretty standard, nothing really out of the ordinary. I'm guessing normal grade boundaries.
Original post by TangoWhisky
I reckon the exams were pretty standard, nothing really out of the ordinary. I'm guessing normal grade boundaries.

I was thinking that too! But you can never be sure tbh.

Did you do AS or A2 or Both? :smile:
Original post by Boredom101
I was thinking that too! But you can never be sure tbh.

Did you do AS or A2 or Both? :smile:

Just A2, ideologies and ideologies in action. What about you?
Original post by TangoWhisky
Just A2, ideologies and ideologies in action. What about you?

I did, the politics of the USA and the Government of the USA. But then again I retook my AS exam to get a better overall grade
For the A2 side I thought that 3a was fairly standard probably looking at 65/80 for a * and 57/80 for A. I thought 4A was more challenging apart from the Supreme Court question which I think will be marked more harshly, accordingly. Probably 63/64/80 for * and 56 for A. Fairly similar. 3A might be higher.
Reply 6
Grade boundaries for as politics? Any idea?
Original post by som12
Grade boundaries for as politics? Any idea?

I feel like the AS grade boundaries may be high, mainly because the questions in my opinion were quite good especially for Unit 1. However Unit 2 may be a bit lower (it usually is except for last year). However you never know sometimes
Original post by James9078
For the A2 side I thought that 3a was fairly standard probably looking at 65/80 for a * and 57/80 for A. I thought 4A was more challenging apart from the Supreme Court question which I think will be marked more harshly, accordingly. Probably 63/64/80 for * and 56 for A. Fairly similar. 3A might be higher.

Yeah i found that supreme court question quite straightforward. I agree you, 3a may be higher mainly because people do better at the politics section rather
than the government section.
Yeah i found that supreme court question quite straightforward. I agree you, 3a may be higher mainly because people do better at the politics section rather
than the government section.

It was the first 30 marker on the Bill of Rights and not as broad topic as usual. The 30 marker on just congressional oversight I would imagine would be fairly narrow as well.

I don't think 3A will be much higher than in the past I'd suggest probably slightly higher than the 63 of last year but only a couple of marks max.

I also thought the 10 markers were more challenging on the 4A side compared to 3A.

What you hoping for? Did you do AS last year
It was the first 30 marker on the Bill of Rights and not as broad topic as usual. The 30 marker on just congressional oversight I would imagine would be fairly narrow as well.

I don't think 3A will be much higher than in the past I'd suggest probably slightly higher than the 63 of last year but only a couple of marks max.

I also thought the 10 markers were more challenging on the 4A side compared to 3A.

What you hoping for? Did you do AS last year

Yeah I did my AS last year but retook them this year to get a higher grade because i didn't take it seriously enough. The 10 markers I did on Topic 1 - Constitution and Topic 4 - Supreme court, I found to be quite broad, things like explain the principle of limited government and the 10 marker for Topic 4 which I cant really remember at the moment. So i feel like marks in this would be higher mainly because of the broadness.
As for Congress, I think that Congress I didnt do the Congress question but a few of my friends found it harder I have no clue why.

Im hoping for an A/B.

What are you hoping for? How did you find the exam?
Yeah I did my AS last year but retook them this year to get a higher grade because i didn't take it seriously enough. The 10 markers I did on Topic 1 - Constitution and Topic 4 - Supreme court, I found to be quite broad, things like explain the principle of limited government and the 10 marker for Topic 4 which I cant really remember at the moment. So i feel like marks in this would be higher mainly because of the broadness.
As for Congress, I think that Congress I didnt do the Congress question but a few of my friends found it harder I have no clue why.

Im hoping for an A/B.

What are you hoping for? How did you find the exam?

I'd love an A* but probably an A. I thought 'limited government' was an unusual term but 'original intent' was much better. I liked the discriminating word of 'increasingly' in the Supreme Court question too. I liked 3A a lot and 4A was good although I revised all topics in each and could have done all the topics on 3A whereas could only have done 3 of the 4 on 4A because of the 'clientelism' 10 marker on the presidential question threw me. I did Electoral Process and Voting Behaviour and then Constitution and Supreme Court. You? What did you think of 3A?
I'd love an A* but probably an A. I thought 'limited government' was an unusual term but 'original intent' was much better. I liked the discriminating word of 'increasingly' in the Supreme Court question too. I liked 3A a lot and 4A was good although I revised all topics in each and could have done all the topics on 3A whereas could only have done 3 of the 4 on 4A because of the 'clientelism' 10 marker on the presidential question threw me. I did Electoral Process and Voting Behaviour and then Constitution and Supreme Court. You? What did you think of 3A?

I literally did the same topics as you. Yeah that's it! The original intent! It was a good 10 marker in my opinion. I revised only 3/4 because i disliked pressure groups topic and I disliked any question on Congress. I think it' possible for you to get an A*, the questions were broad but it seems like you understood the concept and what they were looking for, judging by your replies anyway. I thought that 3A was interesting, the voting behaviour question was quite interesting with the wording of the short term and long term factors of voting behaviour and the recall elections 10 marker was quite simple and straightforward. I forgot the constitution question though.

Were there any topics that you'd hoped to come up? i personally hoped for federalism but ofc that didnt come up lol
I literally did the same topics as you. Yeah that's it! The original intent! It was a good 10 marker in my opinion. I revised only 3/4 because i disliked pressure groups topic and I disliked any question on Congress. I think it' possible for you to get an A*, the questions were broad but it seems like you understood the concept and what they were looking for, judging by your replies anyway. I thought that 3A was interesting, the voting behaviour question was quite interesting with the wording of the short term and long term factors of voting behaviour and the recall elections 10 marker was quite simple and straightforward. I forgot the constitution question though.

Were there any topics that you'd hoped to come up? i personally hoped for federalism but ofc that didnt come up lol

"The Bill of Rights has stood the test of time". Discuss.

I was prepared for all the topics so I found all the questions manageable
"The Bill of Rights has stood the test of time". Discuss.

I was prepared for all the topics so I found all the questions manageable

Thats so good of you! I see you're taking no chances and thanks

Do you remember the electoral process question aswell?
Thats so good of you! I see you're taking no chances and thanks

Do you remember the electoral process question aswell?

10 marker - Recall elections

30 marker "The roles and functions of the national nominating conventions have been reduced to mere formalities within the nominatination process" Discuss.

^ something very like this, not sure of exact wording.
10 marker - Recall elections

30 marker "The roles and functions of the national nominating conventions have been reduced to mere formalities within the nominatination process" Discuss.

^ something very like this, not sure of exact wording.

You've got great memory lol

Which University are you going to and which course are you studying? If you're not going to uni then its chilled
You've got great memory lol

Which University are you going to and which course are you studying? If you're not going to uni then its chilled

Hoping St Andrews or Durham. You?
Hoping St Andrews or Durham. You?

University of Surrey or University of Portsmouth. They're one of the only ones that do the course that I want to study.
University of Surrey or University of Portsmouth. They're one of the only ones that do the course that I want to study.

Sounds good to me. What subjects do you do apart from politics?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending