The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I am 99.99 % sure somethings up.
But what... idk. I suppose I should give time. And space.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
I don't know, it's not. Something's wrong with me. It's not really the placing I'm particularly upset about (although it just pisses me off how close it was), it's more like with every year I'm being drained of motivation/goals.

It is basically a contest no matter how I try to look at it; this stems from it being so easy to get a first. For some reason I always need something challenging to aim towards (probably due to success at school). So the only way to achieve something is to get very high marks. Also I can't do maths for math's sake even though I'd love to because I can't solve problems. So all the maths I do is basically reading. Can't really blame the university itself for that though.

Actually now that I think about it all this nonsense is almost certainly a result of having literally nothing else to do in life.

Well I just found out I'm 17th out of the 170 MMath students. Not very good lol. Probably close to 30th overall. I'm trying to take solace in the fact that I got 72 in Logic II, which was worth 15 CATS. If it weren't for the election, and if I'd not gone to pool, that module was a pretty easy 90, which would put me up a couple percentage points overall and a lot in the rankings.

On the brightside, the other non-core marks I have are pretty sweet. Got 91 in Metric Spaces and 93 in Combinatorics. 79 in Number Theory but that was the hardest exam I've ever had, perhaps excepting Differential Equations, so meh.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Well I just found out I'm 17th out of the 170 MMath students. Not very good lol. Probably close to 30th overall. I'm trying to take solace in the fact that I got 72 in Logic II, which was worth 15 CATS. If it weren't for the election, and if I'd not gone to pool, that module was a pretty easy 90, which would put me up a couple percentage points overall and a lot in the rankings.

On the brightside, the other non-core marks I have are pretty sweet. Got 91 in Metric Spaces and 93 in Combinatorics. 79 in Number Theory but that was the hardest exam I've ever had, perhaps excepting Differential Equations, so meh.

Tbf it's still top 10%. And I was 3rd in MMath but 4th overall, don't think your place will go down too much from 17.

Nice marks. But come on DEs was never actually difficult, the only thing that made the papers hard was the abundance of mistakes that rendered half the questions technically impossible.
Reply 6263
@13 1 20 8 42 @IrrationalRoot Are you guys both in the same class/year?
Tbf it's still top 10%. And I was 3rd in MMath but 4th overall, don't think your place will go down too much from 17.

Nice marks. But come on DEs was never actually difficult, the only thing that made the papers hard was the abundance of mistakes that rendered half the questions technically impossible.

And probably the large majority of people above me will have worked better, or had some gift modules. I could never really expect much, it's not like I totally slacked off, but I took every excuse to do recreational crap instead of working, and whenever I was working it was multitasking while watching videos or playing poker or whatever. I mean I played like 50 hours of Virtual Pool 4 during revision lol, and watched entire seasons of Netflix shows.

Maybe they threw me off or it was the way the questions were written. Idk, I couldn't penetrate any but one of the optionals in my paper. Just did compulsory, Q5, then flailed about. I suppose he had a tendency of asking for relativity simple things in really bizarre ways and in exam conditions I just got confused.
Original post by S2M
@13 1 20 8 42 @IrrationalRoot Are you guys both in the same class/year?

Nah I am in second year, he is in first year
Reply 6266
Nah I am in second year, he is in first year

Oh ok, you're going to third right?
Original post by S2M
Oh ok, you're going to third right?

Yep, in like fifty months or whatever it is.
This thread shows up every time I need it.

I feel like sh*t.
Reply 6269
Yep, in like fifty months or whatever it is.

Haha! :smile: How do you find Maths in Warwick? Do you wish you went to another university?
And probably the large majority of people above me will have worked better, or had some gift modules. I could never really expect much, it's not like I totally slacked off, but I took every excuse to do recreational crap instead of working, and whenever I was working it was multitasking while watching videos or playing poker or whatever. I mean I played like 50 hours of Virtual Pool 4 during revision lol, and watched entire seasons of Netflix shows.

Maybe they threw me off or it was the way the questions were written. Idk, I couldn't penetrate any but one of the optionals in my paper. Just did compulsory, Q5, then flailed about. I suppose he had a tendency of asking for relativity simple things in really bizarre ways and in exam conditions I just got confused.

Lol Virtual Pool 4. I also got hooked on some miniclip pool game in sixth form tbf.

Q3 on that paper was quite straightforward though. Not only that it was a really cool question, very STEP like. But yeah I see what you mean with the other questions; he's very bad at making it clear what he's asking and that really is a stupid way for a question to be difficult.
Reply 6271
Lol Virtual Pool 4. I also got hooked on some miniclip pool game in sixth form tbf.

Q3 on that paper was quite straightforward though. Not only that it was a really cool question, very STEP like. But yeah I see what you mean with the other questions; he's very bad at making it clear what he's asking and that really is a stupid way for a question to be difficult.

Was it 8 ball pool lol.

Oh yeah I've been hooked on that. But this one is a proper 3d simulator with proper physics, it's really good and actually makes you better at pool (in terms of shot selection and angles anyway - not your cuing lol).

Probably, I don't even remember. I was too stressed out lol. Exam pressure does weird things. I remember everyone telling me how horrible Algebra I was last year. Looked at the paper and found it super easy. Found this year's horrible, no doubt people in your year will look it as a past paper and find it fine.
Original post by FireFreezer77
You think? :blush:
I'm in my element when its dark
I love it! :biggrin:

Yea it's adorable x sometimes I feel the same tbh :smile: x
Like a little baby animal who wants to hibernate :blush: x
How is work today btw? x hope it's better than yesterday :hugs: x
Original post by S2M
Was it 8 ball pool lol.

Yeah haha. Everyone got hooked on it and tbh it got to the point where it was straight up sad, with people playing it on their phones in the common room when there's a pool table right next to us.

Oh yeah I've been hooked on that. But this one is a proper 3d simulator with proper physics, it's really good and actually makes you better at pool (in terms of shot selection and angles anyway - not your cuing lol).

Probably, I don't even remember. I was too stressed out lol. Exam pressure does weird things. I remember everyone telling me how horrible Algebra I was last year. Looked at the paper and found it super easy. Found this year's horrible, no doubt people in your year will look it as a past paper and find it fine.

Oh nice. Yeah I think I played a snooker one similar to that.

Algebra I is not gonna be easy for me in any case, since I didn't understand that supposedly very important last part of Linear Algebra last year and no amount of reading those lecture notes helped.
bleurghhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh :s-smilie:
Reply 6276
Yeah haha. Everyone got hooked on it and tbh it got to the point where it was straight up sad, with people playing it on their phones in the common room when there's a pool table right next to us.

Algebra I is not gonna be easy for me in any case, since I didn't understand that supposedly very important last part of Linear Algebra last year and no amount of reading those lecture notes helped.

Lool. I was also addicted to that game! :smile: yeah it was quite common a while back but it does kind of get boring because of the same concept. Otherwise, everyone I knew were also hooked.

It's certainly easier than pool lol, pretty hard to miss a pot.

It's not too bad really. I found it confusing in Linear Algebra and then it just clicked in second year.
Considering not doing what I need to...
My friend and I found a £10 note on the floor today and spent it on food, lowkey feel guilty about it

Latest