The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is taxation theft?

Poll

Is taxation theft?

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't say that a reasonable level is, although opinions will vary on what reasonable is.

However, what I do dislike more is the way that taxation is hidden with multiple payroll deductions and taxes on taxes (e.g. VAT on duty). I would like a more transparent system, but politicians will never do that, as it would scare people.
Reply 2
Original post by RogerOxon
I wouldn't say that a reasonable level is, although opinions will vary on what reasonable is.

However, what I do dislike more is the way that taxation is hidden with multiple payroll deductions and taxes on taxes (e.g. VAT on duty). I would like a more transparent system, but politicians will never do that, as it would scare people.

Even at a reasonable level, it is the seizure of private property using force.
Original post by 22RobertsJ

Most people are free to move to countries with lower (even zero) taxation. US citizens can't escape US tax though.
Reply 4

Money isn't private property. It's not even property, technically.
It's part of the country's laws. You pay tax in exchange for protection and services. If it wasn't for tax, retired and disabled people would starve and the rich would be even richer.

Now, if a country imposed a 100% tax (effectively communism), then you'd be free to leave the country if you felt it was unfair. And if you aren't allowed to leave the country, the idea of theft is the least of your worries.
Reply 6
Most people are free to move to countries with lower (even zero) taxation. US citizens can't escape US tax though.

So your house gets robbed but it's fine because you can move house.

Original post by TheMindGarage
It's part of the country's laws. You pay tax in exchange for protection and services. If it wasn't for tax, retired and disabled people would starve and the rich would be even richer.
Now, if a country imposed a 100% tax (effectively communism), then you'd be free to leave the country if you felt it was unfair. And if you aren't allowed to leave the country, the idea of theft is the least of your worries.

So if someone who works hard gets more than half of their income taken by the government against their will, you don't find this unreasonable? Taxes are also not the only way to help people, private charity tends to be much more effective and if most people get a major bump in their income and living standards due to no longer having a big chunk of it forcibly taken from them, they're likely to donate more to charity. And in the case that someone doesn't want to, they should have the freedom to be able to choose.
(edited 6 years ago)
So your house gets robbed but it's fine because you can move house.

So if someone who works hard gets more than half of their income taken by the government against their will, you don't find this unreasonable?

In democracies, taxation is partially decided by voters, just as other laws are.

I dislike high taxation, but I do want to pay for universal healthcare and a safety net for those that need it.
Reply 8
In democracies, taxation is partially decided by voters, just as other laws are.

That doesn't mean it isn't theft.
That doesn't mean it isn't theft.

Do you believe that we should have healthcare available free to all? A safety net for those that can't find work, or can't work? If so, how would you pay for it?
Do you believe that we should have healthcare available free to all? A safety net for those that can't find work, or can't work? If so, how would you pay for it?

Nothing is free. "Free healthcare" is funded through theft and is therefore immoral.
If someone needs emergency assistance in a society without taxes a doctor isn't going to be checking their income or employment status before helping them, perhaps non emergency healthcare may not be available to all but private charity would cover this anyway. Those that genuinely need it would still be given it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Nothing is free. "Free healthcare" is funded through theft and is therefore immoral.
If someone needs emergency assistance in a society without taxes a doctor isn't going to be checking their income or employment status before helping them, perhaps non emergency healthcare may not be available to all but private charity would cover this anyway. Those that genuinely need it would still be given it.

What typically happens (US) is that free preventative care is difficult to find. Emergency care is given for free (for those that can't pay). I find the suffering that this approach causes immoral.
Reply 12

Yes that's exactly what happens in America
Nah.

It keeps the country going, provides a good environment for businesses to operate in etc.

if you want to live here, do your bit by paying taxes.
Original post by difeo
Yes that's exactly what happens in America

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic but it actually does.

What typically happens (US) is that free preventative care is difficult to find. Emergency care is given for free (for those that can't pay). I find the suffering that this approach causes immoral.

Don't compare a tax free society to America for the love of God. American healthcare is ****ed for a multitude of reasons yet it is still one of the best in the world. Whilst free preventative healthcare is difficult to find, there is a simple solution, work hard and pay for it. Those that genuinely cannot work for disability reasons would be cared for by private charity.
(edited 6 years ago)
Income tax is a theft, we didn't used to have it but then the Government took out too many loans and needed more money to pay the interest, so your income tax is only paying for interest on loans... When the interest gets bigger, guess what happens to our income tax?
Reply 16
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic but it actually does. And don't compare a tax free society to America for the love of God.

No it doesn't lol, people spend years paying it off in most cases. Irrelevant that America has taxes, the point remains that it has a huge number of people who are able to pay for others' healthcare but don't.
Original post by Lord Samosa
Nah. It keeps the country going

I beg to differ, taxation IS theft. Though some try to justify it which is fine. However the government using force to make people pay (for example) for foreign wars they don't want cannot possibly justified can it?

Original post by difeo
No it doesn't lol, people spend years paying it off in most cases. Irrelevant that America has taxes, the point remains that it has a huge number of people who are able to pay for others' healthcare but don't.

Spend years paying off something that literally saves there lives? As opposed to everyone else paying it off because of the threat of violence? Neither are ideal but I know which i'd prefer. Also tread lightly, I'm sure you have spare funds that could be spent paying for someones healthcare but you choose to keep it to yourself, stop acting like others are immoral when you are guilty of the same thing.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 18
Anyone voting "Yes" doesn't know what tax is and how it works. The amount of tax is debatable but taxation itself is necessary for a functioning society.
Whilst free preventative healthcare is difficult to find, there is a simple solution, work hard and pay for it. Those that genuinely cannot work for disability reasons would be cared for by private charity.

What if you're disabled or ill?

One issue in the US is that the rates charged to those than can pay are raised to pay for the emergency care for those that can't. I strongly suspect that it would be cheaper overall, and far more humane, if preventative care were free.