The Student Room Group

6 reasons why you should do a Summer Internship

Not sure what to do with your summer break? We break down 6 reasons why an internship is a great way to spend the break.

Have you ever done an internship? What are your experiences? Will you be doing one this summer? :fan:

Get more summer inspo over here. :flower2:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Danny Dorito
Not sure what to do with your summer break? We break down 6 reasons why an internship is a great way to spend the break.

Have you ever done an internship? What are your experiences? Will you be doing one this summer? :fan:

Some summer internships are paid too so good way to get some pocket money for the next uni year :biggrin:

I've never done a summer internship (I did a year placement) but it was encouraged at my uni because it looks really good on your CV and you get a taste of what working is like, plus you get an idea on whether your role is something you want to pursue after you graduate.

Only issue is that for some industries, summer internships aren't so much a 'nice to have' they are a funnel to a full time offer.. Which means that getting the internship in the first place is incredibly competitive.
summer internships are kick ass, have done x3 & would recommend
You don't just 'get to do one' - you have to be selected to do one. I've applied to plenty of internships made it through numerous rounds of testing and ACs and not made it for both my performance and reasons out of my control.
Original post by lnicholson88
You don't just 'get to do one' - you have to be selected to do one. I've applied to plenty of internships made it through numerous rounds of testing and ACs and not made it for both my performance and reasons out of my control.

strong this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I'll just go and get one at the local internship shop. You know, might as well just get one, easy
Original post by lnicholson88

Try and get an internship at your University. I have managed to secure an internship and have now turned done lots of internship opportunities that I could have applied for had I not already got an internship. You generally need pretty good grades and enthusiasm for what you're applying for.

I will be doing an internship at Durham University which will be a research internship with the project title "What kind of paths contribute to Feynman’s sum over histories in Quantum Mechanics?". I will be paid £234.50 a week for 6 weeks along with free accommodation, from two days before to two days after the internship, and free cooked breakfast for most days I will be there(26/44 I think).
If you don't do an internship and end up unemployed after graduation then I have zero sympathy for you.
I volunteered full time for two roles during my gap year (writer for a historical project and financial admin for a local charity). I done two internships while at uni (one at the House of Commons and another at a government department) and also volunteered part time (as chair for an advisory board for an international think tank, at my local RAF youth squadron, as an event coordinator for a legal charity and as a client researcher for digital product companies).

I also took additional qualifications/ awards alongside my degree- the Vinspired 100 hours of community volunteering award, the KCL Leadership and Professional Management Award and the Associate of KCL award.

Basically, I spent as much free time as possible, since I was 18, building my CV.

It all paid off. I start a grad role as a policy adviser at the Cabinet Office after I finish my masters next month. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Dot.Cotton
If you don't do an internship and end up unemployed after graduation then I have zero sympathy for you.

True.
Original post by Princepieman
Only issue is that for some industries, summer internships aren't so much a 'nice to have' they are a funnel to a full time offer.. Which means that getting the internship in the first place is incredibly competitive.

(Most) investment Banks don't do summers for first years, so you have to be a bit more creative and network your way somewhere
Reply 12
Original post by queenofswords
I volunteered full time for two roles during my gap year (writer for a historical project and financial admin for a local charity). I done two internships while at uni (one at the House of Commons and another at a government department) and also volunteered part time (as chair for an advisory board for an international think tank, at my local RAF youth squadron, as an event coordinator for a legal charity and as a client researcher for digital product companies).

I also took additional qualifications/ awards alongside my degree- the Vinspired 100 hours of community volunteering award, the KCL Leadership and Professional Management Award and the Associate of KCL award.

Basically, I spent as much free time as possible, since I was 18, building my CV.

It all paid off. I start a grad role as a policy adviser at the Cabinet Office after I finish my masters next month. :smile:

Wow, that's really impressive. What did you study at uni?
Original post by old6h
Wow, that's really impressive. What did you study at uni?

Thanks! :smile:

BA Philosophy and Msc Public Policy
Original post by Dalek1099
I will be doing an internship at Durham University which will be a research internship with the project title "What kind of paths contribute to Feynman’s sum over histories in Quantum Mechanics?". I will be paid £234.50 a week for 6 weeks along with free accommodation, from two days before to two days after the internship, and free cooked breakfast for most days I will be there(26/44 I think).

Fellow budding scientist here :smile:.
How did you get such a research internship ?(Sounds amazing !)
What year are you in your physics degree ?
Is such an offer unique to Durham or is it common at other universities ?
How did you prepare to get such an offer ?
Original post by queenofswords

Oh my God,that is just an insane amount of work to be putting:eek: ,as well as juggling schoolwork.
You must have one heck of a CV ,well deserved grad job :smile:.
Original post by bobby147
Fellow budding scientist here :smile:.
How did you get such a research internship ?(Sounds amazing !)
What year are you in your physics degree ?
Is such an offer unique to Durham or is it common at other universities ?
How did you prepare to get such an offer ?

I applied for it filling out an application form and was successful.Fortunately, there was no interview required.The main important things are that you have good grades, show enthusiasm and also get good supervisor comments- I'll talk about this in answer to a later question.

I have just finished the second year of my Natural Sciences degree studying Mathematics and Physics although I would consider my degree as essentially a more mathematically based physics degree, next year I will go on to study physics along with mathematical physics topics, and the project is actually a Mathematics project with my supervisor part of the Theoretical Particle Physics department in the Mathematics department so its essentially a Mathematical Physics project.

I am not sure about other Universities but the internship I applied for was only offered by my college Collingwood College, as part of Durham University but there are lots and lots of opportunities for other internships at Durham University. I did apply and wasn't successful for an internship in the Physics department before this and once successful with my second internship application I turned down a lot of internship opportunities and had already turned down an opportunity before I applied.

The internship application worked with you being required to essentially find a research project and supervisor to supervise me on the project. I initially asked a lecturer that I knew really well, having been one of my first year lecturers as well as tutors and someone who I had impressed a lot and in the end he was unable to be available to supervise me but he did email lecturers in his department recommending them to supervise me and I ended up getting an email from another supervisor giving me the details of that project and I applied for it and I got good comments because of my good grades and that I had been recommended to do a project by the lecturer that I know well.The college is funding me for the internship, which is being done by the Mathematics department in Durham.
Original post by UWS
Some summer internships are paid too so good way to get some pocket money for the next uni year :biggrin:

ALL internships that aren't just work shadowing (or volunteering for a charity) should be paid https://www.gov.uk/employment-rights-for-interns

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending