The Student Room Group

A level options - what do you think of them?

Hey,
I will start my a levels in September and I have chosen maths, further maths, physics and Spanish. Everyone I've asked says it will be really hard. I want to be an aeronautical engineer in the future, and am planning to take an appropriate engineering course at uni.
Are these wise choices? If I was to drop a subject, should it be Spanish or further maths?
Thanks
Original post by alwin.sm
Hey,
I will start my a levels in September and I have chosen maths, further maths, physics and Spanish. Everyone I've asked says it will be really hard. I want to be an aeronautical engineer in the future, and am planning to take an appropriate engineering course at uni.
Are these wise choices? If I was to drop a subject, should it be Spanish or further maths?
Thanks

If you wish to pursue a career as an aeronautical engineer then you should take media studies at A level.
Hey,
Thanks

No offence but thats a really daft question, obvs drop Spanish. Doing fmaths makes normal maths super easy and u can quite easily get an A in fmaths if u don't choke the As modules.
Reply 3
Hey,
Thanks

Don't let people saying it's too hard put you off! It may be hard for you, or you might find it easy, how hard people find things varies greatly. If you work hard enough by the time exam comes you should find the exams easy, working hard really will pay off.

Also, don't make my mistake of not working hard enough for As, it seems a lot of people including myself do this, as you don't want it jeopardising your grade or meaning you will have to resit.

If you do drop the subject, drop which one feels right to drop, I don't know a lot about aeronautical engineering, but it seems that further maths would be more useful for it and it would be best to keep that, though if you really love Spanish, a good grade in normal maths should be good enough for most unis, though it may be wise to check this nearer the time just in case.
Reply 4
Original post by mangatardallys
If you wish to pursue a career as an aeronautical engineer then you should take media studies at A level.

lol :smile:

Yes, Maths, FM and Physics are ideal choices. You will want FM for Engineering at a good university - it's quite mathematical.

If you were to drop anything, it'd be Spanish.

If physics is fairly obvious to you, then Maths, FM and Physics go well together and are less work than three unrelated subjects.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey,
Thanks

Further Maths is quite abstract - you need to enjoy maths as well as be good at it. But if you do well in it, it'll put you in a very good position. If I were you, I'd drop Spanish.
Original post by Khanman123
No offence but thats a really daft question, obvs drop Spanish. Doing fmaths makes normal maths super easy and u can quite easily get an A in fmaths if u don't choke the As modules.

If the OP is going into year 12 (the question is a little ambiguous), it'd be the new linear spec, so no modules.
Reply 8
Original post by mangatardallys

But they seem to have nothing in common! Plus, the minimum uni's are looking for are maths and physics. Why would media studies help?
Reply 9
Original post by Khanman123

I was debating it because spanish is super easy and uni's value it. But i always had the impression that further maths is really hard. Uni's only want an a level in maths, physics and another subject of your choice. Why take the harder option?
Reply 10
Original post by TehFen
Don't let people saying it's too hard put you off! It may be hard for you, or you might find it easy, how hard people find things varies greatly. If you work hard enough by the time exam comes you should find the exams easy, working hard really will pay off.

Also, don't make my mistake of not working hard enough for As, it seems a lot of people including myself do this, as you don't want it jeopardising your grade or meaning you will have to resit.

If you do drop the subject, drop which one feels right to drop, I don't know a lot about aeronautical engineering, but it seems that further maths would be more useful for it and it would be best to keep that, though if you really love Spanish, a good grade in normal maths should be good enough for most unis, though it may be wise to check this nearer the time just in case.

Thanks, you put that really well! But it just comes down to spanish or further maths! Or is it wise for me to take all four of the options?
Reply 11
Original post by RogerOxon
Yes, Maths, FM and Physics are ideal choices. You will want FM for Engineering at a good university - it's quite mathematical.

If you were to drop anything, it'd be Spanish.

If physics is fairly obvious to you, then Maths, FM and Physics go well together and are less work than three unrelated subjects.

I see your point..thanks! Do you think it's wise for me to take all four options?
Reply 12
Original post by TheMindGarage
Further Maths is quite abstract - you need to enjoy maths as well as be good at it. But if you do well in it, it'll put you in a very good position. If I were you, I'd drop Spanish.

Thank you! Do you think it's wise for me to take all four options?
1355331549061.jpg
But they seem to have nothing in common! Plus, the minimum uni's are looking for are maths and physics. Why would media studies help?
Thank you! Do you think it's wise for me to take all four options?

If you think you can handle it, go ahead. You can always drop one if you find that you struggle.
I see your point..thanks! Do you think it's wise for me to take all four options?

That really depends on how hard you find the subjects. Some people just get Physics, and it quickly reduces to maths. Some struggle to get a feel for it. Then there's Spanish - my kids already speak French fluently, so they found it very easy. Others have to work more.

I don't see any reason why all four couldn't work if you have a good feel for those subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest