The Student Room Group

When do you apply for university

I start my A levels in September and i was just wondering, do i apply in september or do i do it next september when i start my A2's?
Original post by Apple2017
I start my A levels in September and i was just wondering, do i apply in september or do i do it next september when i start my A2's?

Usually around a couple of months after starting your A2s I think.
Reply 2
Original post by Apple2017

The main deadline is January of Y13 (last year of A-levels). Most apply in Nov/Dec before that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
You can submit your application as early as September 6.
Reply 4
Original post by Maivnek
You can submit your application as early as September 6.

Although there is absolutely no advantage in doing so. All applications received on or before 15th Jan* receive equal consideration.

*Excludes Oxbridge, and medicine courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Doonesbury
Although there is absolutely no advantage in doing so. All applications received on or before 15th Jan* receive equal consideration.

*Excludes Oxbridge, and medicine courses.

In theory, I guess all universities can't discriminate late applications. But I still think there's a slight advantage (in practice).

It depends entirely on the universities you're applying for. Since some universities start giving offers before the 15 Jan deadline, earlier applicants will be competeting for more places and therefore have a higher chance of an offer. This is at least what they're telling me at my school (along with some sketchy statistics), although it might not be an advantage that big as I'm making it out to be.:s-smilie:

Some universities wait until all applications are in, until making decisisions, giving all applicants, late or early, equal consideration and equal chance of offer.

In any case, there's certainly not a disadvantage to applying early.:colondollar:
Reply 6
Original post by Maivnek
In theory, I guess all universities can't discriminate late applications. But I still think there's a slight advantage (in practice).

It depends entirely on the universities you're applying for. Since some universities start giving offers before the 15 Jan deadline, earlier applicants will be competeting for more places and therefore have a higher chance of an offer. This is at least what they're telling me at my school (along with some sketchy statistics), although it might not be an advantage that big as I'm making it out to be.

Nope - that's honestly not how it works. You are *guaranteed* equal consideration.

Another myth is if you apply before 15th October the non-Oxbridge universities are less likely to give you an offer because they "know" you are also applying to Cambridge or Oxford. That's equally fake news.
Reply 7
Original post by Doonesbury
Nope - that's honestly not how it works. You are *guaranteed* equal consideration.

Another myth is if you apply before 15th October the non-Oxbridge universities are less likely to give you an offer because they "know" you are also applying to Cambridge or Oxford. That's equally fake news.

Fair enough:biggrin:

But as I said, some universities do give out early offers, so when applying early there's still the possibility of getting results earlier. That's an advantage imo. :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by Maivnek
Fair enough:biggrin:

But as I said, some universities do give out early offers, so when applying early there's still the possibility of getting results earlier. That's an advantage imo. :wink:

That's true - especially if you haven't used all your 5 choices. Some Oxbridge applicants keep one (or two) choices available for when they know if they got an Oxbridge offer or not and then apply "at the last minute" to an appropriate 5th choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending