The Student Room Group

do you think people entering political office are normal?

aren't they all power hungry?
I don't know any politicians so can't really comment but I would say power hunger is pretty normal.
Original post by Sternumator
I don't know any politicians so can't really comment but I would say power hunger is pretty normal.

it must be true of most politicians.
Reply 3
Original post by susanneblonde
it must be true of most politicians.

I think it's true of most people...
Original post by Dheorl
I think it's true of most people...

I don't think so. most people don't enter politics. politics is about power and only specific personality types enter it.
I wouldn't say they're power hungry. Some of them certainly are, e.g. "yes men" who try to always stay on their party leader's good side in the hope of getting a cabinet position. But there are plenty of them who aren't, or at least aren't any more "power hungry" than the average person in a normal job.

Rebellious MPs on the backbenches certainly aren't power hungry, for example.
well i genuinely think they are. Being apolitician is about governing a country, so it's more power than what a doctor, nurse, or teacher can ever have.
Reply 7
Some do it just for the power. Others I do believe go into it for the right (imo) reasons - they want to change something they believe is wrong, and they see they need to go into politics to do that. To take two examples, Jo Cox and Nigel Farage - neither were intending to be career politicians (possibly Farage now), rather they saw some issues they felt strongly about and became politicians to achieve that. It's getting power to achieve a goal, not power for its own sake.
Reply 8
I don't think so. most people don't enter politics. politics is about power and only specific personality types enter it.

Most people seek promotions at work, want to be head boy/girl at school, like being captain of the sports team etc. Desire for power is just a natural trait of any social animal.
Original post by Dheorl
Most people seek promotions at work, want to be head boy/girl at school, like being captain of the sports team etc. Desire for power is just a natural trait of any social animal.

well yes, but nothing like a politician. Being a politician is inherently about governing, so there is far more power to be had there.
Reply 10
well yes, but nothing like a politician. Being a politician is inherently about governing, so there is far more power to be had there.

Many jobs are nothing more than governing, just on a smaller scale. You could equally make the argument that anyone who becomes a teacher must be power hungry.

The fact is, virtually any social creature will have a desire to be the leader of the pack. It's just nature, and something inherent in the vast majority of people.
Original post by Dheorl
Many jobs are nothing more than governing, just on a smaller scale. You could equally make the argument that anyone who becomes a teacher must be power hungry.

The fact is, virtually any social creature will have a desire to be the leader of the pack. It's just nature, and something inherent in the vast majority of people.

teachers don't set regulations or laws. they cannot sign or make treaties, leave the EU, or make things illegal or legal. the main purpose of a teacher is not to control society or its governance. so it stands to reason that only people who crave power over society become politicians.
Reply 12
teachers don't set regulations or laws. they cannot sign or make treaties, leave the EU, or make things illegal or legal. the main purpose of a teacher is not to control society or its governance. so it stands to reason that only people who crave power over society become politicians.

Teachers set rules in classrooms, they can discipline pupils pretty much whenever they see fit, take peoples time away from them. Sure, it's less power, but it's still power. Same goes for policemen, anyone who wants to become an officer in the army, store managers. People aspire to power in many ways outside of politics.
that's funny....a teacher cannot put me in jail for driving over the speed limit. yes, there is power, though i'd argue that is not the point of a teacher. there is a class whose job is to co-ordinate everything, and that is politcians. politicians therefore are inherently power-driven individuals, since the entirety of the job is about that.
Reply 14
that's funny....a teacher cannot put me in jail for driving over the speed limit. yes, there is power, though i'd argue that is not the point of a teacher. there is a class whose job is to co-ordinate everything, and that is politcians. politicians therefore are inherently power-driven individuals, since the entirety of the job is about that.

No, the job of politicians is helping ensure the country is running smoothly. They're basically car mechanics for society. Are car mechanics power hungry?

It's clear you're a troll, so I cba to respond any more, because unfortunately you're not even smart enough to be amusing.
Original post by Dheorl
No, the job of politicians is helping ensure the country is running smoothly. They're basically car mechanics for society. Are car mechanics power hungry?

It's clear you're a troll, so I cba to respond any more, because unfortunately you're not even smart enough to be amusing.

and the power that a politician has in controlling society is more than any teacher or doctor can ever have. i see you are smart, but cannot see different perspectives. lol. or see facts in others' points. But then i'll go shopping soon, and if drive above the speed limit, the Teachers' Union speed cameras will pick me up...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending