The Student Room Group

Economics BSc without A level Economics

Hi, I have applied and am waiting for results day to study BSc Economics at University of Sheffield. However, I did not take A-level Economics and am worried about being very behind. (I took maths, biology, chemistry). I have heard that at some universities the first year of the course is recapping the A-level, is this true?
Original post by katie123_1998
Hi, I have applied and am waiting for results day to study BSc Economics at University of Sheffield. However, I did not take A-level Economics and am worried about being very behind. (I took maths, biology, chemistry). I have heard that at some universities the first year of the course is recapping the A-level, is this true?

Depends on the university. Best to look at Sheffield's course structure to see if it reflects what you have been doing at A level.
Reply 2
Original post by katie123_1998

As having A level Economics is not a prerequisite for studying BSc Econ at Sheffield (or most places as far as I know) I wouldn't be particularly concerned. It looks like intro macro / micro courses are mandatory in the 1st year so should cover everything you need without the assumption that you have studied the topics before. Might be worth taking a look at one or two popular introductory texts such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/Economics-Users-Guide-Pelican-Introduction/dp/0718197038 as much as anything to reassure yourself of your interest in the subject if you have not studied it before. Good luck!
Original post by GP2016
As having A level Economics is not a prerequisite for studying BSc Econ at Sheffield (or most places as far as I know) I wouldn't be particularly concerned. It looks like intro macro / micro courses are mandatory in the 1st year so should cover everything you need without the assumption that you have studied the topics before. Might be worth taking a look at one or two popular introductory texts such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/Economics-Users-Guide-Pelican-Introduction/dp/0718197038 as much as anything to reassure yourself of your interest in the subject if you have not studied it before. Good luck!

THank you so much xx

Quick Reply