The Student Room Group

Only 20% of young British people are active followers of Jesus

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/17/one-six-young-people-christian-visits-church-buildings-inspire/

For any Christians on here, does this worry you? The fact that so few young people are actually practising Christianity? Or are you fine with it?

And to everyone else, do you feel that this is part of a change towards atheism and that eventually religions like Christianity will be non-existent in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FarhanHalim
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/17/one-six-young-people-christian-visits-church-buildings-inspire/

For any Christians on here, does this worry you? The fact that so few young people are actually practising Christianity? Or are you fine with it?

And to everyone else, do you feel that this is part of a change towards atheism and that eventually religions like Christianity will be non-existent in the UK?

All religion is trash.

Yes, and I couldn't be any happier. Out of the 98 people in my year, I know only 1 who is actively Christian. I do live in a very middle class, predominantly white area though lol
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
Yes, and I couldn't be any happier. Out of the 98 people in my year, I know only 1 who is actively Christian. I do live in a very middle class, predominantly white area though lol

That is very rare.
Reply 4
That's actually surprisingly higher than I thought. That means that most young people will know someone who is a Christian, which allows the Gospel to reach potentially every young person in the country. As Christians, we can share the message of Jesus and his sacrifice, people can choose whether to accept it or not and if they really don't want to, that's not a problem since at least they have heard the good news and chosen to reject it instead of being kept in the dark about it.
Original post by Throwaway740
That is very rare.

There are a lot of very white schools across Britain though, it's not impossible some of them are like mine.
I'm glad to see religion fading.
That is higher than expected. What is great is that it means that most people will know someone who actively follows Jesus and this can lead to the Gospel being spread to them. If people choose to leave the faith, that's not a problem of course but I feel that if more people know how much happiness our faith brings us they would consider learning more about why we love Jesus so much. That's why I am not angry about Britain losing its Christianity, it's not supposed to be a competition of who has the most followers, it's supposed to be about telling people about Jesus Christ and how amazing he is. If people don't want to follow him or want to stop following him, there should be no extra pressure for them to remain part of the Christian community

I don't think Christianity will disappear anytime soon, far from it. It's just that religion doesn't have a big place in some people's lives. Just look at church attendance rates for example. So yeah there's a good chunk of irreligious people, but that doesn't make them atheists. There are some people who aren't particularly religious but still believe in a god or higher power. Like some so-called 'Christians' who aren't religious at all: promiscuity, doesn't go Church, pretty much lives life as if the Bible doesn't exist, except for the fact that they believe in God and Jesus, that's it.
prays jebus
This planet still has a chance!
Reply 11
Meanwhile Islam is the fastest growing major religion on Earth whereas Christianity is losing millions of followers a year. Islam will be the largest religion in our lifetime. Many Christians convert to Islam every year.
Original post by Ladbants
That is higher than expected. What is great is that it means that most people will know someone who actively follows Jesus and this can lead to the Gospel being spread to them. If people choose to leave the faith, that's not a problem of course but I feel that if more people know how much happiness our faith brings us they would consider learning more about why we love Jesus so much. That's why I am not angry about Britain losing its Christianity, it's not supposed to be a competition of who has the most followers, it's supposed to be about telling people about Jesus Christ and how amazing he is. If people don't want to follow him or want to stop following him, there should be no extra pressure for them to remain part of the Christian community

You make a good point: it shouldn't matter how large the Christian community is. Just look at the Jews and Muslims, you don't really seem them talking about how many followers they have. If young people don't want to be Christians then fair enough, but as for the ones that are, you should focus on the Christian community that already exists.
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
There are a lot of very white schools across Britain though, it's not impossible some of them are like mine.

Maybe, but 1 Christian out of 100? You'd be hard-pressed to find another bunch of schools like that.
Original post by desaf1
Meanwhile Islam is the fastest growing major religion on Earth whereas Christianity is losing millions of followers a year. Islam will be the largest religion in our lifetime. Many Christians convert to Islam every year.

Propaganda.
Original post by desaf1

Because Christianity doesn't fear apostasy as much as Islam does. That can not be a thing to brag about, that your religion is becoming the biggest in the world because of fear and restriction?
Original post by desaf1
Meanwhile Islam is the fastest growing major religion on Earth

Because of births... Hardly an achievement, "we pop out the most kids".
Reply 17
It's actually excellent in my view, as a follower of Jesus Christ, that 1 in 5 of us young people follow him. That means that almost everyone knows a follower of Jesus, which means that potentially the Gospel is available to all who will hear it. As Christians we shouldn't, and largely don't, focus on the number of followers we get but on letting people know about what we believe and potentially giving them the option to find out more if they wish. There are some religions that aggressively seek new followers just to make their community more powerful, and a few Christian denominations are still like that unfortunately, but as Christians we should not be focused on numbers but on actively following our Lord and letting people know the message he gave the world. Then they can choose to accept or reject that message without any pressure.
i'd much rather islam had a lower % ...
nOT because i hate muslims but, it's scary how easy it seems for people to get radicalized :frown:
Original post by desaf1

Don't you think that could be because many Muslim countries make leaving Islam punishable by death, and that Muslim terror groups in the basically have a 'convert or die' policy towards non-Muslims

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending