The Student Room Group

BTEC - to Russell Group - First Class - AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Reality Check
It'd be interesting to know if they would have accepted you without the A level.

They accept some courses with BTEC's.
Original post by DreamsCanHappen
Dear all,

BTEC students have always been criticised due to the fact it's not a "traditional route" to university.

I studied a Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business & have finished my first year at a Russell Group university, feel free to ask me any questions.

Pursuing a Bachelor of Science.

I slightly take issue with your assumptions and wording here. BTEC students are not criticised because it's not a 'traditional route'; BTEC are criticised because they are often an inadequate preparation for university.
Original post by S2M
What did you get in GCSE's?

Average results in comparison to other UCL students; however I guess it did the job in hand.

7 B's & 1 A.
Reply 63
Average results in comparison to other UCL students; however I guess it did the job in hand.

7 B's & 1 A.

That's good. :smile: Why didn't you take A-Levels? I'm sure you could of.
The BTEC qualification is often assumed as an inadequate qualification which is very unfortunate as most of the top uni's accept this.

However, before undertaking the BTEC course, I researched into my chosen degree programme to get a taste of what will be required, due to the negative comments around taking a BTEC qualification.

I undertook research by talking to previous undergraduates at UCL on the degree, to know what is needed and what I should do in prep for the course, as well as talking to proffessors. Therefore, I started to learn a few modules prior to starting my degree in late summer and I am pleased to say - it has paid off.

Original post by Reality Check
I slightly take issue with your assumptions and wording here. BTEC students are not criticised because it's not a 'traditional route'; BTEC are criticised because they are often an inadequate preparation for university.
Many thanks. Yes, I could have - However I chose to opt for the alternative qualification, coupled with an A level in Computer Science. I believe this allowed me to prepare for the coursework and the exam side of my degree.

Original post by S2M
That's good. :smile: Why didn't you take A-Levels? I'm sure you could of.
Reply 66
Many thanks. Yes, I could have - However I chose to opt for the alternative qualification, coupled with an A level in Computer Science. I believe this allowed me to prepare for the coursework and the exam side of my degree.

Oh ok. :smile: Were you disadvantaged in anyway against other applicants because they had A-Levels?
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
Congrats.

I also did a BTEC.

Graduated with a first in Natural Sciences

which uni

Original post by bumbaclart2
Listen here, i took BTEC solely on its own, and at a Russell group university studying engineering you need to pick your head up from the grave and stop underestimating BTEC students, this thread is showing people that it is possible with hard work and determination that you can achieve a Russell group and achieve a top grade.

which uni
I feel during the application process, I was treated as the same, admissions accept the BTEC for this qualification. Bare in mind, the course is mostly full of A levels and IB international students. There are a few BTEC students and they're doing equally as well, due to their hard work and effort in which they have been putting in. Exams can be stressful as a BTEC student, however you need to have the motivation to get through it and get your head down.

Original post by S2M
Oh ok. :smile: Were you disadvantaged in anyway against other applicants because they had A-Levels?
Reply 69
I feel during the application process, I was treated as the same, admissions accept the BTEC for this qualification. Bare in mind, the course is mostly full of A levels and IB international students. There are a few BTEC students and they're doing equally as well, due to their hard work and effort in which they have been putting in. Exams can be stressful as a BTEC student, however you need to have the motivation to get through it and get your head down.

That's good. :smile: Are you planning on doing another degree anywhere?
Potentially a MSc somewhere. We'll see what the future holds!

Original post by S2M
That's good. :smile: Are you planning on doing another degree anywhere?
Reply 71
Potentially a MSc somewhere. We'll see what the future holds!

That's good, congratulations! :h:
Why so much skepticism on this thread?

Congratulations man! UCL Law here, nice to see a friendly poster.
Original post by StrangeBanana
which uni

which uni

The University of Nottingham
Original post by bumbaclart2
The University of Nottingham

Bump.. UoN - Top RG.
Original post by AlexandraW96
Why so much skepticism on this thread?

Congratulations man! UCL Law here, nice to see a friendly poster.

Many thanks buddy! - Hope you're well..

How are you finding UCL?
Original post by StrangeBanana
which uni

Why do you ask?

Universidade Lueji A'Nkonde, if you really must know.
Many thanks buddy! - Hope you're well..

How are you finding UCL?

It's crazy - both socially and workload-wise. But I couldn't imagine myself anywhere else.
The BTEC qualification is often assumed as an inadequate qualification which is very unfortunate as most of the top uni's accept this.

However, before undertaking the BTEC course, I researched into my chosen degree programme to get a taste of what will be required, due to the negative comments around taking a BTEC qualification.

I undertook research by talking to previous undergraduates at UCL on the degree, to know what is needed and what I should do in prep for the course, as well as talking to proffessors. Therefore, I started to learn a few modules prior to starting my degree in late summer and I am pleased to say - it has paid off.

I can agree with this statement, and say I too did background research, and revised beforehand looked at my course modules where I thought I would struggle in, and revised what is required in the specification. I can say it is a big step but having motivation is key and I'm sure anyone out there can work hard and achieve a top grade!
Original post by AlexandraW96
It's crazy - both socially and workload-wise. But I couldn't imagine myself anywhere else.

I can agree! Social life is great, lots of societies to engage with!

How did your year go, results wise?

Quick Reply