The Student Room Group

What A-levels to take if you're bad at essay writing?

As above

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lucykershaw2000
As above

What are your options?
Why not tell us what you are good at?
Maybe dont do subjects with lots of essays? Stick to stem or creative or doing subjects.
Maths, further maths, and physics.
Reply 3
As above

All REAL subjects basically
Original post by SGHD26716

So Economics isn't a real subject :biggrin:

Could have just said STEM
As above

How do you know you are bad with essays? Its something that you will get with practice, and I doubt you will be able to run away from it forever. A uni chemistry student told me that they write essays.

Also you do learn essay technique in lessons in essay subjects
Reply 6
Original post by AnIndianGuy
So Economics isn't a real subject :biggrin:

Could have just said STEM

Nah.
As above

Science subjects, maths, maybe ICT/computer science, art, etc etc :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
most a levels do involve some aspect of essay writing, even generally a levels which you wouldn't suspect such as the sciences where you're required to give clear, coherent answers, although they still aren't exactly essay based, unlike subjects like psychology and economics

i would honestly say that do not base your a level choices on how good you are at writing essays, because each subject has a distinct format of essay style which you will have to learn to adapt to anyway. no one will be able to write perfect essays at first. as you get older and especially for university and personal statements, essay writing is an amazing skill to have and isn't as daunting as it seems to improve upon. all it requires is practise and you'll become great at it in no time

base your a level choices on what you enjoy and also the field you want to go into in the future. look at university websites for a levels they may require as entry to the courses you may be interested in and base your a levels upon that :smile:
Original post by SuperHuman98
A uni chemistry student told me that they write essays.

Writing essays for science subjects is different to writing essays in essay subjects.
Original post by Changing Skies
Science subjects, maths, maybe ICT/computer science, art, etc etc :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

there is a 3500 word essay in art A2 :blushing:
Original post by CoolCavy
there is a 3500 word essay in art A2 :blushing:

Seriously?! :eek:
Original post by Changing Skies
Seriously?! :eek:

yeh :frown: i feel like the art teachers keep it a secret from everyone at AS and then spring it on them in A2 :redface:
it wasn't too bad for me because of the history coursework which was also 3500 words but ik a lot of my friends struggled with it because they hadn't written essays since GCSE :redface:
Original post by CoolCavy
yeh :frown: i feel like the art teachers keep it a secret from everyone at AS and then spring it on them in A2 :redface:
it wasn't too bad for me because of the history coursework which was also 3500 words but ik a lot of my friends struggled with it because they hadn't written essays since GCSE :redface:

Oh dear! Yeah at least you had plenty of experience writing essays :h: but I feel for those who didn't! :sad:
Hi. I did maths, further maths and physics.
I didn't write a single essay in the whole of sixth form for any of my subjects. Longest thing I had to write was my personal statement.
In physics, the longest bit of writing you'll do is about a paragraph for 6 markers, and they come up like twice in a paper.
Original post by ashaxo99
most a levels do involve some aspect of essay writing, even generally a levels which you wouldn't suspect such as the sciences where you're required to give clear, coherent answers, although they still aren't exactly essay based, unlike subjects like psychology and economics

i would honestly say that do not base your a level choices on how good you are at writing essays, because each subject has a distinct format of essay style which you will have to learn to adapt to anyway. no one will be able to write perfect essays at first. as you get older and especially for university and personal statements, essay writing is an amazing skill to have and isn't as daunting as it seems to improve upon. all it requires is practise and you'll become great at it in no time

base your a level choices on what you enjoy and also the field you want to go into in the future. look at university websites for a levels they may require as entry to the courses you may be interested in and base your a levels upon that :smile:

No essay writing at all in physics. Longest thing you have to write is a paragraph for 6 markers, and they're not too common (come up once or twice in every exam).

Lol

What do you consider to be a REAL subject (to do as a degree)?
Reply 18
Original post by tuxarew
What do you consider to be a REAL subject (to do as a degree)?

The statement is a joke.
The statement is a joke.

Oh, so all subjects are REAL subjects to do as a degree? Is that what you're saying?

Quick Reply

Latest