The Student Room Group

Studying at Trakia university 2016 - use this thread to get to know others!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

The first option sounds like an almost impossible task, learning a new language to a high enough standard to be able to study veterinary medicine in less than a year. I'm sure the course is plenty challenging enough in English!

One more question (for now) - what does the average week look like for a first-year student in terms of contact hours, time spent in practicals etc.?
Reply 41
Original post by Coriolis
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

The first option sounds like an almost impossible task, learning a new language to a high enough standard to be able to study veterinary medicine in less than a year. I'm sure the course is plenty challenging enough in English!

One more question (for now) - what does the average week look like for a first-year student in terms of contact hours, time spent in practicals etc.?

So for the first couple years the course is all theory based. I'm afraid that we have long days. Each week we do about 24 hours practical lessons, in classes of about 10 students. And 12 hours lectures. The average day is 8am to 4pm but we do get some mornings or afternoons free.
First year you don't get to work with animals with the exception of a visit to the university farm and anatomy classes (hope you're not squeamish!! :smile: )
Okay then, I hope you're still interested, if you need anything else just ask.
Josh :smile:
Reply 42
Hi!I'm applying to Trakia for veterinary, I was just wondering if there are any students I can get to know! I have just made a huge decision and changed to vet med from dentistry! I live a world of both being a dental nurse and a sheep farmer. I thought I wanted to work in the dental sector but I changed last minute to stick with my roots as I loving the farmers life and think I would be much better suited as a vet! I'm just wanting to know about area's to live near the uni, living costs, exams taken as part of the application and to make new mates! etc anything would be a great help.thanks!Danielle
Reply 43
Original post by DGOMEZ11
Hi!I'm applying to Trakia for veterinary, I was just wondering if there are any students I can get to know! I have just made a huge decision and changed to vet med from dentistry! I live a world of both being a dental nurse and a sheep farmer. I thought I wanted to work in the dental sector but I changed last minute to stick with my roots as I loving the farmers life and think I would be much better suited as a vet! I'm just wanting to know about area's to live near the uni, living costs, exams taken as part of the application and to make new mates! etc anything would be a great help.thanks!Danielle

Hi there, sounds like you made the right decision! You can get student accommodation at the uni or an apartment in the city. I have the latter because the uni is a 5 minute bus ride from the city. Personally I spend about 400 Lev for my apartment (I share with one other) which includes water and electricity. About 350 Lev on food and a little extra on busses and going out. This is all per month so I think I spend no more than £400 per month. There was a biology exam but it wasn't too difficult and we got the questions and answers a week or two before the exam so no need to worry about that. I'm just going onto 2nd year but rumour says there have been about 15 applicants from the UK. You will meet other students when you have the test. Hope that helps and if there is anything else you need, ask away
Josh
Reply 44
hey there sorry for the late reply i always forget to come on here!

thank you soo much!

do you know much about estate agents out there, im coming over august bank holiday but its a weekend so i was wondering if estate agents open on a weekend there and if you know any good ones?? also i fly to sofia is there a direct train from sofia to trakia do you know?
ohh and what areas are to be avoided to live and what areas are nice.
do sme provide first year books as well???

thank you!

D xxx
Reply 45
Okay, I used Bulgarian properties and have had no problems with them. As for whether they are open, I don't know I'm afraid. I don't know about the trains but I travel a lot by bus.
The south of the city is a little rough, there is a main road n the middle that is pedestrianised, the closer to that the better in my opinion but I'm biased because I live near it!
SME do not provide anything, you can buy copies of the textbooks for 6-15 leva each but you don't need many and there are often free copies available.
Its a shame I'm in England or I could have shown you around a bit.
If you want an easier way to get in contact with me you could private message me, I have Facebook messenger or WhatsApp but its up to you
Once again, I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 46
One more thing, anyone applying to anything through study medicine Europe , could you please personal message me your phone number, email and full name. If I refer you then I get some money that would help me a lot :smile:
This is only for those that have not yet applied
Original post by clarky0149
Hi all,
My names Josh and if you are reading this you are looking to apply or have already applied to Trakia University in Bulgaria!
I made this thread so that other like minded people can get to know each other. I applied for veterinary medicine through study medicine Europe and am currently studying at trakia university in Bulgaria!! It is a great experience and I would recommend it.

Thanks for reading this and please respond!
:ciao:

Hi Josh, I might be moving to trakia this September and I wanted to know what the student life is like? Also how easy it is for English speaking students to fit in etc

Thanks so much
Reply 48
Original post by Anke vds
Hi Josh, I might be moving to trakia this September and I wanted to know what the student life is like? Also how easy it is for English speaking students to fit in etc

Thanks so much

Hi there, student life is good. I think it is what you make of it. We are at university 5 days a week and it is hard work at times. Outside of university you can live how you want. Because food is quite cheap I cook for myself and to be honest I don't live like a student at all! I eat whatever and do whatever I want , within reason :smile:
It is really easy to fit in at university, outside of uni it is more difficult with the language barrier but you will make friends at university and you all help each other!
Any other questions e welcome and if you do go in September, you could private message me and i could you around the city a little
Hi there, student life is good. I think it is what you make of it. We are at university 5 days a week and it is hard work at times. Outside of university you can live how you want. Because food is quite cheap I cook for myself and to be honest I don't live like a student at all! I eat whatever and do whatever I want , within reason :smile:
It is really easy to fit in at university, outside of uni it is more difficult with the language barrier but you will make friends at university and you all help each other!
Any other questions e welcome and if you do go in September, you could private message me and i could you around the city a little

Thank You so much for the fast response! I will definitely take you up on the offer, it is hard to know which areas to find accommodation etc if you are foreign! So glad to hear you are enjoying it! Just sent in all my final documentation.

Out of curiosity, how do you travel to and from campus?

Thank you so so much
Reply 50
Thank You so much for the fast response! I will definitely take you up on the offer, it is hard to know which areas to find accommodation etc if you are foreign! So glad to hear you are enjoying it! Just sent in all my final documentation.

Out of curiosity, how do you travel to and from campus?

Thank you so so much

I go to university by bus, the system in the city is really good. I get a monthly pass that let's me go on any bus in the city as much as i want. It is 22 leva or close to. There are cheaper options where you only choose some bus lines. Or alternatively it is a 1 Lev fare for any bus.
Glad to hear you are coming to stara zagora,
Josh
Reply 51

Thanks so much

HEyyy! I'm moving over too we have a group chat of medical and vet students if you'd like to pm your number I can add you? gt to know people and you josh if you want!

D x
Reply 52
Okay, I used Bulgarian properties and have had no problems with them. As for whether they are open, I don't know I'm afraid. I don't know about the trains but I travel a lot by bus.
The south of the city is a little rough, there is a main road n the middle that is pedestrianised, the closer to that the better in my opinion but I'm biased because I live near it!
SME do not provide anything, you can buy copies of the textbooks for 6-15 leva each but you don't need many and there are often free copies available.
Its a shame I'm in England or I could have shown you around a bit.
If you want an easier way to get in contact with me you could private message me, I have Facebook messenger or WhatsApp but its up to you
Once again, I hope this helps :smile:

Thanks lad!
I have a group chat and we're all with sme and they haven't and won't seem to tell us the start date of term so was wondering if knew what dates they are around whether mid sept end of sept or October.

Thanks again x
Reply 53
I start on the 11th of September, but I think first years start a week or two after. I will ask my supervisors for you. What is this group chat on, I don't have a mobile number at the moment :smile:
Reply 54
I start on the 11th of September, but I think first years start a week or two after. I will ask my supervisors for you. What is this group chat on, I don't have a mobile number at the moment :smile:

Oh thank you! We've been told to be ready to leave from the 8th of September so hopefully it'll be a week or two later lol it's on what's app let me know when you get a number I'll add you lad! X
Reply 55
Hey there, my supervisor has replied, unfortunately he has no information about your starting date. I think when I went we flew to Bulgaria all together on a Friday and uni started on the Monday. I know we didn't have very long!
Sorry for the lack of useful info,
Josh
Reply 56
Hi does anyone no of a local mosque to pray at
Hey Josh,

I was wondering if it is possible to apply for vet med without an agency at Trakia Uni? Btw what are the benefits of going with an agency (from your experience)?

Sorry for the late question!
Thanks
Reply 58
You can’t apply without using an agency. The one benefit of using an agency it that they send your paperwork. Sorry but they are an expensive necessity to appy
Thanks for getting back to me :smile:

The reason why I was wondering, was because although there are agents to help with applying, the university seems to allow you to apply with documents on their website (i.e. Application form etc), and sending other paperwork directly to the university.

But thanks for the help either way!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending