The Student Room Group

Told I should lose weight - any advice?

I'm around 68kg and 5'2 or 5'3, I gained a lot of weight during the last 3 years due to exam stress etc and want to get down to 57-60kg which is normal for my body type. I have a curvy figure so anything less than that looks kind of unnatural to me as I've never been super skinny and don't want to be either. The reason I'm asking for good advice is because last time I tried something like this I developed an eating disorder and dropped down to 49kg in 2 months so any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Reply 1
Original post by Nuba123
I'm around 68kg and 5'2 or 5'3, I gained a lot of weight during the last 3 years due to exam stress etc and want to get down to 57-60kg which is normal for my body type. I have a curvy figure so anything less than that looks kind of unnatural to me as I've never been super skinny and don't want to be either. The reason I'm asking for good advice is because last time I tried something like this I developed an eating disorder and dropped down to 49kg in 2 months so any helpful advice would be appreciated.

I think your weight is too much at the moment. I suggest this https://www.iamalpham.com/index.php/topics/number-one-way-to-burn-body-fat/
I would say don't rush anything, try to make small positive changes (like cutting junk food, eating fruits and focusing on eating filling foods to avoid any cravings in the day). And of course sensible exercising helps.

Look for steady progress and get into a healthier routine.
Reply 3
Original post by Nuba123

Eat regularly, and the right kinds of food. Take exercise, but don't overdo it. Just get into a routine of being healthy.
Don't eat less food, just substitute the more unhealthy options with alternatives that have less calories / sugar/ etc.

For example, stop having fizzy drinks and juices - stick to water and herbal teas. Have a few dates when you're craving chocolate. swap crisps for popcorn. make sure to fill your meals out with wholegrains and loads of vegetables. etc

Although saying that, I'm a hypocrite because I just polished off a packet of tesco chocolate bourbons that I bought a couple of days ago :lol:
Original post by Nuba123

Yh u defo need to lose weight (not tryna sound harsh). Just track ur calories n stay in 500-1000 calorie deficit to ur TDEE, easy.
Reply 6
Original post by Khanman123
Yh u defo need to lose weight (not tryna sound harsh). Just track ur calories n stay in 500-1000 calorie deficit to ur TDEE, easy.

Terrible idea. You will feel like crap and weight loss will eventually stall meaning you'll have to go even lower to continue. Which at this point means you're basically eating nothing each day. I know this because I tried to do the same thing. Although it worked for the most part, the amount of stress it caused me (and subsequent consequences on other aspects of my life) was not worth it. Slow is the way forward.

Basically do what the others said, eat less snacks/sugary/fatty foods and walk more often. Literally just go out and walk for an hour. Try not to over complicate it
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TajwarC
Terrible idea. You will feel like crap and weight loss will eventually stall meaning you'll have to go even lower to continue. Which at this point means you're basically eating nothing each day. I know this because I tried to do the same thing. Although it worked for the most part, the amount of stress it caused me (and subsequent consequences on other aspects of my life) was not worth it. Slow is the way forward.

Basically do what the others said, eat less snacks/sugary/fatty foods and walk more often. Literally just go out and walk for an hour. Try not to over complicate it

Fat loss is about calories in vs calories out, that's all there is to it. Obviously ur TDEE will drop as u lose weight and if fat loss plateaus then u start implementing cheat days or refeeds. A 500 calorie deficit isn't really that much and u could always start lower. No matter how healthy u eat, if u eat above ur TDEE then u won't lose weight. I've been cutting on about 2000 calories a day for quite a few months now and I've dropped 15kg its not hard at all, I eat the same foods pretty much everyday so I don't even need to track anything and I'm pretty good at estimating the calories in foods.
Original post by TajwarC

I personally aim for a 1500 calorie deficit and have a cheat meal on a weekend to prevent stalls. The fat falls off, but yeah, I'm constantly hungry so I wouldn't recommend it.
Reply 9
Original post by Khanman123
Fat loss is about calories in vs calories out, that's all there is to it. Obviously ur TDEE will drop as u lose weight and if fat loss plateaus then u start implementing cheat days or refeeds. A 500 calorie deficit isn't really that much and u could always start lower. No matter how healthy u eat, if u eat above ur TDEE then u won't lose weight. I've been cutting on about 2000 calories a day for quite a few months now and I've dropped 15kg its not hard at all, I eat the same foods pretty much everyday so I don't even need to track anything and I'm pretty good at estimating the calories in foods.

Original post by WoodyMKC
I personally aim for a 1500 calorie deficit and have a cheat meal on a weekend to prevent stalls. The fat falls off, but yeah, I'm constantly hungry so I wouldn't recommend it.

Your maintenance calories must be quite high then? Defo more than OP. The point I'm trying to make is that a 500 calorie deficit for someone who can cut on 2000 calories is very different to a 500 calorie deficit for someone who's TDEE is let's say, 1500 calories. Unless you're trying to cut weight for a sport then I don't see the point in rushing it tbh
Original post by TajwarC
Your maintenance calories must be quite high then? Defo more than OP. The point I'm trying to make is that a 500 calorie deficit for someone who can cut on 2000 calories is very different to a 500 calorie deficit for someone who's TDEE is let's say, 1500 calories. Unless you're trying to cut weight for a sport then I don't see the point in rushing it tbh

My TDEE is about 3000, so yeah. As I was saying, not recommending it to everyone, but for someone that's overweight it's okay to be a bit aggressive I feel. Maybe not 1500 deficit though :biggrin:
Original post by WoodyMKC
My TDEE is about 3000, so yeah. As I was saying, not recommending it to everyone, but for someone that's overweight it's okay to be a bit aggressive I feel. Maybe not 1500 deficit though :biggrin:

I am curious though, with your 1500 deficits is hunger the only problem? Obviously your weekly caloric total will also add up to a deficit but surely on the days when you don't have cheat meals you must feel insanely weak? I don't imagine it being that stressful in the long run because you're basically getting regular cheat meals. Is it more/less effective than cutting a smaller amount of calories without regular cheat meals?
Original post by TajwarC
I am curious though, with your 1500 deficits is hunger the only problem? Obviously your weekly caloric total will also add up to a deficit but surely on the days when you don't have cheat meals you must feel insanely weak? I don't imagine it being that stressful in the long run because you're basically getting regular cheat meals. Is it more/less effective than cutting a smaller amount of calories without regular cheat meals?

Well I tend to lose about 3lbs a week without losing any significant amount of muscle, so can't really argue against the results :smile: I do tend to get weak and the weights used go down, but that doesn't matter as it's temporary from lack of glycogen and general energy. I tend to cut back on the heavy weights and go for a high volume approach anyway. When I finish cutting and start ramping the weights back up I'm back to where I was previously at within a month anyway. So if I wanted to lose 30lbs, that's 10 weeks cutting then another 4 weeks rebuilding lost strength and muscle, i.e. 14 weeks total. Then I'm back to progress. Compare that to the guy losing 1lb a week, not losing strength but by the time I've lost the fat and regained any lost strength and muscle he's only half done with his cutting and still has another 16 weeks on no progress outside of fat loss.
Mostly Drink Water, Cut Back On Food And Low Intensity Exercise
Do regular exercise and prepare a diet chart this will help u a lot

Quick Reply

Latest