The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PSYA4F215Resit
Wasted your time at uni. The whole point is to get a 2:1 or higher. Being average/below average isn't enough these days. My cousin went through the same **** and is still in a rut. Sucks but I'm laying the smack down since other don't want to lol. Just do your best getting a job now.

Thats a great shame for your cousin... both of my cousins are doing really really well with 2:2's.. being 'average' seemed to be enough for them. On the other hand, I know someone with a 2:1 who is in a rut and has been for a while. Why is that?

Maybe its because everyones journey is completely different and unique. Maybe just maybe its because success goes way beyond the grade.

But most of all, its because they took in negative, pointless comments like the one you just gave, and s*** it back out.
Original post by PSYA4F215Resit
Okay... What do you expect me to say? What the **** is this **** attitude of none one gets left behind and everyone deserves a medal? Clearly, OP fell behind, jelly of their friends who got first- who according to them studied 1 or 2 days before lol. I bet they actually worked hard. They failed to get what most employers want. I told you a real thing and you tell me about your 2 cousins who did well. That isn't the norm... Giving false hope is worse than being honest.

Thinking positively doesn't fix ****. You can't fix the grades you got and are locked in. It's too late. You can only try hard now to do the best with what you got but doesn't you will get to the best positions. You ****ed it up already.

Sometimes it's best to be honest than sugar coat everything.

I told you about my two cousins doing well, since you felt the need to mention your one cousin doing badly to further deepen this persons despair. Helpful.

Someone else in this thread mentioned having multiple colleagues on a grad scheme achieving 2:2s, with one of them being the most intelligent. Guess you ignored that. It sounds like that is a hard pill for you to swallow, since you quite enjoy looking down from your superior tower of excellence.

According to you, people with 2:2's and below 'f******' their entire life. Their entire opportunity for success has been taken away by a below 60 percentage. According to you, every successful person in this world got a 2:1 or higher. Sorry to burst your bubble.. but can you believe some people who didnt even go to uni are doing better than us?! Imagine that.

A 2:2 might not get you where you want to be instantly. But it does not completely take away your chances. This is not airy fairy positivity, this is fact.

And if you feel that being optmistic and positive is simply sugar coating. Shame on you. I sincerely hope everything always goes amazing for you, because in the face of disappointment you will get a nasty shock.
I got a 2.2 in my degree and it hasn't held me back at all. Since then I've done a postgraduate certificate and diploma and I'm currently applying to do a Masters. Of course what you get in your degree is important but experience is even more so. Keep working hard and you'll get where you want to be.
Don't worry. My brother in law got a 2:2 and went on to a successful career as an automotive logistics manager.

When I say automotive logistics manager, I mean he walked around Tesco car park with a sign reading "parking space here".
Original post by Quantex
Don't worry. My brother in law got a 2:2 and went on to a successful career as an automotive logistics manager.

When I say automotive logistics manager, I mean he walked around Tesco car park with a sign reading "parking space here".

:rofl:
try applying for professional jobs outside the UK. people have told me its easy to find graduate work in the netherlands (even with a bad degree classification)
So every single one of the most successful people all have a first or a 2:1.
Can you explain then why the likes of Sir Richard Branson and Lord Sugar don't even have degrees? Oh wait, I forgot. They must be disasterous flops because they don't have a first or a 2:1 :tongue:
Oh yes and then there's a certain JK Rowling- 2:2 from Exeter Uni. But again she can't have possibly done anything worthwhile with only a 2:2. David Dimbleby- again, wasted his time and can't possibly be doing anything that's any use to anyone. A 3rd in PPE. Even Prince Charles has a 2:2!
It's entirely possible to actually do okay for yourself without having a first.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by gr8wizard10
lol that sucks

-_-
Original post by princessmaire80
So every single one of the most successful people all have a first or a 2:1.
Can you explain then why the likes of Sir Richard Branson and Lord Sugar don't even have degrees? Oh wait, I forgot. They must be disasterous flops because they don't have a first or a 2:1 :tongue:
Oh yes and then there's a certain JK Rowling- 2:2 from Exeter Uni. But again she can't have possibly done anything worthwhile with only a 2:2. David Dimbleby- again, wasted his time and can't possibly be doing anything that's any use to anyone. A 3rd in PPE. Even Prince Charles has a 2:2!
It's entirely possible to actually do okay for yourself without having a first.

Aye, but people like that are few and far between. Citing people like Zuckerberg, Rowling, Branson et al. is not useful. They got to where they are because they had significant talent; unfortunately the world doesn't work like that, not everyone is extremely talented. Additionally, some of the people you cited had a lot of contacts to be able to get into where they are, e.g. David Dimbleby had a famous Father who was a journalist who most likely helped him get his foot in the door either via his name or putting in a good word for him. So, while these people did not succeed academically, they were in the right social circles. It's all about who you know, not what you know at the end of the day. So, OP must either be in the right social circles or have extreme unheard of talent in something in particular to reach the level of success of the people you mentioned.
Original post by mangatardallys
Aye, but people like that are few and far between. Citing people like Zuckerberg, Rowling, Branson et al. is not useful. They got to where they are because they had significant talent; unfortunately the world doesn't work like that, not everyone is extremely talented. Additionally, some of the people you cited had a lot of contacts to be able to get into where they are, e.g. David Dimbleby had a famous Father who was a journalist who most likely helped him get his foot in the door either via his name or putting in a good word for him. So, while these people did not succeed academically, they were in the right social circles. It's all about who you know, not what you know at the end of the day. So, OP must either be in the right social circles or have extreme unheard of talent in something in particular to reach the level of success of the people you mentioned.

Don't bother. Just tell them to look at what most MPs have. They would turn a blind eye and site obscure and rare examples of successful people like Bill gates.
Hahahaha wow you guys really think 2.2's are ****?!?! Looooool unless you've done it in something like art then it really isn't! 😂 loads of Junior Jobs and Grad schemes are available from all good rep companies just to name a few cause I don't have a list are like Jaguar Landrover, ford, PwC, Apple, Addidas, BBC and **** tonnes more! You just have to look!!!

I mean in my friendship group out of 5 of us 3 of us came out with 2.2s 1 came out with a 3rd and the other a 2.1 😂! Yeah we didn't do well at all according to half of you on here and this was like 2 years ago. Well I (yes me) came out with a 2.2 in product design (BSc) and have held a junior job starting salary of (£23k) most than a lot of 2.1 grad schemes and have built myself to soon to be senior level Cad Designer. I was not one bit worried about my degree class like everyone on here is..a 2.2 for me is like a first and I guess that's what lead me to my success because I never saw it as a failure or bad degree! I had fun at uni and did much better than all the 2.1/1st 🤓 students I knew!

Now for my other friends those with similar 2.2s are in jobs within their field 2 started from grad schemes and 1 went into a job as a junior just like me! The one with a 3rd worked for a company for 6 months as an intern then the company took him on and now his changed and works for Network Rail...yes...Network Rail as a project manager!!!!

So all you fools saying a 2.2 gets you nowhere, my mate who came out with a 3rd Class degree now working at Network Rail gets £3K higher than me yearly!

Also I know two nerds in my degree class who came out with a 2.1 and 1st who did nothing and have just got decent jobs after 2 years!...we had fun and lead it to success. Anyway im tired of typing now...
Original post by tgwktm
sorry, sort of just blurted this all out. I just don't know what i'm gonna do now. my question concerns whether anyone has been in this situation before? what happened to them? any advice?

Just as a motivational, I got a 2:2 and got on a grad scheme for a big4 accounting firm, and based on my year end review have outperformed a lot of people with better degrees. Someone else on my course with a 2:2 started his career in private equity (though that was cut short by brexit) and is starting a job at a boutique investment bank on Monday.
Original post by tgwktm
sorry, sort of just blurted this all out. I just don't know what i'm gonna do now. my question concerns whether anyone has been in this situation before? what happened to them? any advice?

I totally understand how you feel because I was in the same boat but I can admit I slacked off a lot. I was soo embarrassed and didn't want to tell anyone, I cried and cried and cried for about 3 days then I started looking for a solution. I read success stories about people with finished with a 2:2 and it motivated me a lot. Plus there are so many people who didn't go to uni at all and have made a great success of themselves. I went to a graduate fair at my uni and found a graduate scheme that excepted 2:2 degrees. I went to a few interviews and within 3 weeks of attending the fair I had a full time graduate job secured! I still find it difficult to share my grade when people ask but I'm determined to make sure it doesn't define me. I recommend volunteering somewhere and working part time because the skills you learn will make you a more desirable candidate. Also join the inspiring interns website, they send you jobs that fit your profile. You will be fine, congrats on finishing xx
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by LoAGirlBoss
I totally understand how you feel because I was in the same boat but I can admit I slacked off a lot. I was soo embarrassed and didn't want to tell anyone, I cried and cried and cried for about 3 days then I started looking for a solution. I read success stories about people with finished with a 2:2 and it motivated me a lot. Plus there are so many people who didn't go to uni at all and have made a great success of themselves. I went to a graduate fair at my uni and found a graduate scheme that excepted 2:2 degrees. I went to a few interviews and within 3 weeks of attending the fair I had a full time graduate job secured! I still find it difficult to share my grade when people ask but I'm determined to make sure it doesn't define me. I recommend volunteering somewhere and working part time because the skills you learn will make you a more desirable candidate. Also join the inspiring interns website, they send you jobs that fit your profile. You will be fine, congrats on finishing xx

Thanks for being so understanding. I found out my result over a month ago i think and i only told my parents about it yesterday and only because they directly asked me and i couldn't think of a way to change the topic of conversation! I have been looking into other part time jobs like office admin instead of the usual retail and cafe/bar work stuff, which i think i will enjoy and be better at anyway (seen a couple that are full time jobs too). However, they most want experience (either in working in an office or working with customers) so I have decided to get some work experience in a charity shop for retail jobs but also for other jobs where i can emphasize transferable skills. I may also see if i can help out in my local church's office cause that will help with getting skills and experience for admin (will be a little awkward though cause i haven't been to church for around 4 years, so I'll try charity shops first- I also know a few of my mums friends who work in charity shops near me)
Reply 34
I was in a similar position two years ago. In the heat of summer I found out that I would be getting the dreaded 2.2. I felt like I had blundered massively and that my ambitions of going into a Master's degree and then a PhD had effectively shattered into pieces.And then I half-heartedly applied for the Master's anyways and, to my great surprise, I got in (at UCL, nonetheless). I completed that MA with a strong Merit, and now I'm off to undertake a funded MRes. My 2.2 has become completely irrelevant, as the subsequent qualifications I have (and will have) attained are more important in the eyes of academics and employers than a Bachelor's, which everybody and their mother has. So OP, even if it may seem like it, a 2.2 is not the end of the world. It will limit you in many ways, but with a bit of creativity there's always a solution. Oh, and also, I even applied for a graduate job before I decided to wing it and apply for the MA. Guess what? I got the job.
This is not as big a deal as some of these scaremongerers are making it out to be. For the sake of clarity, I'll just write my two cents in bullet points:

1) Getting a 2:2 is not the end of the world because, hey, it's still a degree. Some people fail, while others drop out before they even reach the finish line, so well done on at least finishing within the Second Class bracket;

2) There are quite a few perfectly decent options still open to you. The first is to apply for good grad schemes that consider/ take 2:2 graduates, e.g. at Factset, BDO, etc. The second is to apply for a Master's degree (assuming you went to a good or "elite" university in the first place) at a mid-tier university and maybe even think about a PhD to stand a chance at obtaining solid employment 4 years from now;

3) If you have a good idea with commercial potential, why not start your own business? Now's the time, not least because the safety net that prevents most people from doing this (i.e. a 2:1+, steady job in the City, etc.) isn't really available to you at this point. The irony is, most 2:1 and First Class graduates work for (or aspire to work for) organisations either started or run by people with no degrees at all—let alone a 2:2;

4) You could always take whatever inane employment you can obtain with a 2:2 (assuming you don't follow the advice offered under point 2) and pursue an Open University programme on a part-time basis; or

5) Just take time out to clear your head and work out where you want to be in life. For all I know, you didn't want to go to university in the first place or maybe did a course you hated, etc.
OP I know how it feels to graduate with a 2:2, I found myself in the same situation this year actually. It can be disheartening to come out at graduation with one but this time is crucial and what you do with it speaks volumes. Also note that 80% of jobs are NOT advertised, so you can create a vacancy for yourself if you are willing to put in the work.

I do not know what career path you want to go down, but amass some sort of practical knowledge in that field to make up for a lack of experience (if this is the case) WHILE progressing with your job hunt. If you are changing career paths do a coursera/edX online course. And create a SOLID cv through your university career service or a friend/family member who has it together, and get this reviewed by as many people as you possibly can.

You also need to a build a network once you have your career goal in mind, set up a LinkedIn and use the search function to connect with alumni from your university that are in a position (masters, grad job, etc.) that you are eyeing and drop them a message. Find as many people as you can that you are genuinely willing to speak to and learn from, you never know what doors these can open. They can even refer you in applications if you get on well.

Make a profile on more progressive career search apps and websites such as Debut (app) and Magnet.me - engage with the recruiters there.

Please ignore what people say about graduate schemes being out of reach for you. I have received offers from some incredible companies after graduation with a shamefully low 2:2. Here are Graduate Schemes that accept 2:2s: EY, Lloyds Insurance, Lloyds Bank, Wellcome Trust (multiple streams), Civil Service Fast Stream, Bloomberg, Google, numerous London based start-ups (Talentpool is a great platform), Unilever, Enterprise Rent-a-car, Edelman, Network Rail
Reply 37
Yeah I have to agree, all these people saying you've ruined your chances are just being ridiculous. Fact is, most employers value experience alongside qualifications. I'm not sure what field you're interested in OP, but look for some work experience or part-time paid work in that field if you can.

I graduated with a 2:2 and tbh it's never held me back. I initially worked a full-time job in a related field which didn't 'need' qualifications and then also worked a part-time job to gain more relevant experience, and now am in a well-paid job in the field I've always wanted to work in. I've also just started a Masters, so don't let anyone tell you you've ruined your chances because that's b*****ks quite frankly. It's all down to you and whether you're willing to put the graft in and be creative!
I know this is quite late and you are settled now. However it also depends on the percentage you got. If you got a high 2.2 and a company/ post grad course wanted a 2.1 I'm sure they will make an acception for you if you have an excellent CV.
At the end of the day it depends what you want to do and you need to work out how to get there.
People on here can help to an extent but they can not do the job hunt for you if they don't know what you want. However you have taken the first step in asking for help, so I'm sure you will have a bright amazing future even with a 2.2! :smile:
Hey, maybe it is late for me to drop my 2 cents into this but I would do it anyway. I am due to graduate with a 2:2 this year unless I achieve 65% in all my modules. Knowing myself, I have never been much of an academic person. I remember when we started university I use to stay up and study or spend 6 hours in the library and I was miserable. My friends still do this but all of them have limited their social life to the maximum in order to achieve a lower 2:1 degree. Believe me when I tell you this that employers will not care in 6 months, even 3. Yes, if you would like to aim at the top of the ladder you would need a 1st or a 2:1 but even then you might not be as successful as you'd like. Maybe people think that they will graduate with a 2:1 and someone will magically appear and offer them a CEO position and a starting salary of 5k a month. Believe me a lot of people with a 2:1 classification will find themselves in your position. Many graduate schemes that want a 2:1 degree don't accept the majority of people and only the best of the best make it. Employers these days talk about how important the grade is or your past experience, making it impossible for students to work towards a 2:1 in a top university whilst maintaining a part-time job as a prestigious organisation - it is just not going to happen. Focus on what you want to do and don't do what I normally do to myself - DON'T UNDERESTIMATE YOURSELF! Don't lower your expectations and accept jobs with a minimum wage just because you feel like you have failed. There are plenty of people out there that would be more than happy for you to work for them and are more than willing to pay high for that! With that being said consider expanding your CV. Luckily I have been able to do projects and work-placements ever since I was about 12 so my CV is about 2 pages long and I have to cut things out. Even if you have worked for 1-2 months write that in. Emphasise on how you've grown and what you've achieved rather than why you left. Apply to suitable and realistic positions, as I said know your worth - don't go applying for a cleaners positions. It might take you months to find a placement/job or weeks it all depends on your personality, skills and mindset!

Latest

Trending

Trending