The Student Room Group

Should I just continue to ignore my three unpaid parking tickets?

Hi there,

Let me say from the outset that I'm guilty as sin, if we could just park (excuse the pun) that for a second and advice me on what I should do, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have lived at uni for a year and have received three parking tickets for parking at the uni's gym car park (the issuing company is Total Parking Solutions Ltd).

I got one in November 2016, I attempted to pay it online but the system didn't recognize my details and I simply forgot about it, although I did email them explaining that I couldn't pay online but they never responded to me. I got another one in February 2017 and I received one today (I know, I should just stop parking there or pay).

None of the tickets are recognized on their system by the way. I guess it doesn't really matter as there are alternative ways to pay.

So what should I do? Should I just continue to ignore them, they haven't contacted me at all, even when I emailed them.

I guess my only worry is that they eventually do try and contact me to get me to pay, but then I'll have to probably pay some huge fine as well.

I don't know whether to contact them and own up and hopefully they'll just let me pay for the three tickets and be done with it.

Any advice here is greatly appreciated, thanks for reading.

Scroll to see replies

don't pay, they won't take you to court over that trust me, i have 8 unpaid parking tickets lmao
Reply 2
Original post by kalvinkataria
don't pay, they won't take you to court over that trust me, i have 8 unpaid parking tickets lmao

Thanks for the quick response.

Seriously? You really think I should just continue to ignore them?

How long have you had those eight tickets and were they from private companies (I'd imagine they would have to be as It's difficult to get away with not paying council issued ones)?
Original post by BillMurray
Hi there,

Let me say from the outset that I'm guilty as sin, if we could just park (excuse the pun) that for a second and advice me on what I should do, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have lived at uni for a year and have received three parking tickets for parking at the uni's gym car park (the issuing company is Total Parking Solutions Ltd).

I got one in November 2016, I attempted to pay it online but the system didn't recognize my details and I simply forgot about it, although I did email them explaining that I couldn't pay online but they never responded to me. I got another one in February 2017 and I received one today (I know, I should just stop parking there or pay).

None of the tickets are recognized on their system by the way. I guess it doesn't really matter as there are alternative ways to pay.

So what should I do? Should I just continue to ignore them, they haven't contacted me at all, even when I emailed them.

I guess my only worry is that they eventually do try and contact me to get me to pay, but then I'll have to probably pay some huge fine as well.

I don't know whether to contact them and own up and hopefully they'll just let me pay for the three tickets and be done with it.

Any advice here is greatly appreciated, thanks for reading.

If it won't let you pay online, phone them up and ask to pay by another way. Otherwise if they discover it later you could have to pay a lot more (as happened to me.
Reply 4
Original post by james813
If it won't let you pay online, phone them up and ask to pay by another way. Otherwise if they discover it later you could have to pay a lot more (as happened to me.

I'd do that, but I'm concerned about what they then might say about the unpaid tickets from November and February.

How much more did you have to pay and was yours issued via a private company or the council?
Original post by BillMurray
I'd do that, but I'm concerned about what they then might say about the unpaid tickets from November and February.

How much more did you have to pay and was yours issued via a private company or the council?

By a private company. They charged double (£90) because it was more than 3 weeks after.
Reply 6
You entered into a legal contract by parking - non payment was breach of contract, and they have every right to enforce it.

Whether they will or not is another question - save yourself a lot of grief and pay the damn charges, then either pay to use the car park, or stop parking there; you're not above the law.
Don't pay. Private companies will never take you to court over petty money, simply because court proceedings will cost them more, with no garunteed outcome.

I got a fine from a university car park in December 2015. I had to pay £30 but they increased it to £160 after I ignored it. I recieved about five different letters reminding me. Eventually they decreased payment to £60 after half a year but I ignored it again and I never heard from them again.

Of course with councils you should pay up quickly because they will chase you no matter the amount and you will incur huge costs.
Original post by kalvinkataria

They do take you to court.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/they-need-stopped-driver-hits-13316843

And if it goes to the country court and you lose (and you can still lose in absence) you will get a county court judgement on your record. This severely goes against you when it comes to applying for any form of credit or financial product.

At the very least I would ensure that they are not on your system. Write to them with a recorded delivery letter and keep a copy of it. If you get no response, then you can forget about it.

BTW Who drives to the gym? Surely if you ran there, you could run back and save yourself £30-£50 a month to boot! :smile:
Original post by ByEeek

And if it goes to the country court and you lose (and you can still lose in absence) you will get a county court judgement on your record. This severely goes against you when it comes to applying for any form of credit or financial product.

A CCJ is only an issue if it's not paid within 30 days of the judgement.
Original post by CurlyBen
A CCJ is only an issue if it's not paid within 30 days of the judgement.

Which if you'veburried your head in the sand is pretty likely.
Original post by ByEeek
They do take you to court.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/they-need-stopped-driver-hits-13316843

At the very least I would ensure that they are not on your system. Write to them with a recorded delivery letter and keep a copy of it. If you get no response, then you can forget about it.

BTW Who drives to the gym? Surely if you ran there, you could run back and save yourself £30-£50 a month to boot! :smile:

It all says it here. ^^^

Soon or later they will get to you when they start to need more money and need people to pay their fines. Just don't risk it because if it does go to court it will just come back and smack you in the face even harder.
Reply 13
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
Don't pay. Private companies will never take you to court over petty money, simply because court proceedings will cost them more, with no garunteed outcome..

This is categorically not true, as mr beavis found out.
If they take you to court they have to justify their out of pocket expenses
No way near the cost of fine
99% of time they don't bother
Reply 15
Original post by Sammylou40
If they take you to court they have to justify their out of pocket expenses
No way near the cost of fine
99% of time they don't bother

Court costs are paid by the defendant if they lose the case.
general rule of thumb - council = pay it asap, private = ignore it. unless you've racked up lots of parking tickets it's unlikely that the company would take you to court.

a council is legally obliged to take you to court if your ticket is unpaid, so pay up quickly and prevent yourself from incurring fees.
Original post by IWMTom
Court costs are paid by the defendant if they lose the case.

They have to justify why they are charging you £90 for a £3 parking cost. If it is deemed unreasonable, which it is, they lose
The parking fine they give you is no such thing
It is merely an invoice with an invitation to pay
Reply 18
Original post by Sammylou40
They have to justify why they are charging you £90 for a £3 parking cost. If it is deemed unreasonable, which it is, they lose
The parking fine they give you is no such thing
It is merely an invoice with an invitation to pay

If the sign clearly states they will charge a penalty and states the fee clearly, they can absolutely justify charging it. Entering the car park forms a legal contract with the parking company, and they have every right to enforce the charge.
Original post by IWMTom
If the sign clearly states they will charge a penalty and states the fee clearly, they can absolutely justify charging it. Entering the car park forms a legal contract with the parking company, and they have every right to enforce the charge.

The law clearly states they can only charge reasonable fees to cover any losses they have
Which is usually the cost of the parking space for one day. Most cases that have been to court have been settled in this way
It is entirely a civil contract and not one that is easily enforced

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending