The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm at King's Canterbury... I got an offer for CompSci 25% at Catz, AAA in Maths, Further Maths and Physics, although I've already got an A in Maths.
Reply 2
Cool, nice one mate, how were your GCSEs if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 3
Oh, there'll be plenty. Like nearly 50% of the year in most cases.

I'm from a private school and I'm here, though they let me in yeeeeeears ago now :wink:
Reply 4
me
Reply 5
erm me?? i dont think it makes a blind bit of difference personally- its not like ive got better grades than everybody else or a harder offer..... why do you care anyway?
Reply 6
I got an offer too, and I attend a private school. 6 A* and 5 A at GCSE and AAAAA at AS with AAAA A2 predictions.
Reply 7
ok, you are probably right but its still interesting to see, please carry on posting guys with your GCSE and A level results, as i'm hopefully applying at the end of next year! :smile: chewy how were GCSE's out of interest, you seem pretty clever!
Reply 8
i got 9A*s, 1A, 1B. the b was in art. i wanted 10As, so i took ancient greek in my spare time, got an A* in it. i really don't think GCSEs made that much difference to my application though.
Reply 9
there are several privately schooled applicants on here. But they dont mention it because it doesnt matter, you cant tell. Equally, two of my really good mates at uni are from private school, and i had absolutely no idea until it just happened to come up in conversation one day - it really doesnt matter.
I am from an independent private school...British International Schhol, Prague..
ExamNailer
I can not seem to find anyone on this site who has been accepted or given an offer from Cambridge who are not from state/grammar schools!!

That is mainly because, by in large this site is frequented by state school applicants for two distinctive reasons:

1) Private school applicants have prep most evenings and limited weeekend access to web-browsing on the weekends at boarding schools.

2) Ultimately, for applicants the Cambridge section of this website gives advice and responds to queries that applicants may have. At many private schools there is a much larger critical mass of Oxbridge applicants (0ver 40% of Eton) and many teachers/ chaperones have more experience of the systems meaning applicants look to these sources as opposed to google where this site is always a major link for uni related queries.
Reply 12
ExamNailer
State school applicants also get better offers

I think this only applies if they apply through the CSAS but correct me if I'm wrong.
Reply 13
My GCSEs were 6A* 5A. I'm not sure why you want to know this though - it's pretty much evenly split between state/private schools at Cambridge and the offers are almost always A grades in various subjects.
Reply 14
WhatAboutWinston?
That is mainly because, by in large this site is frequented by state school applicants for two distinctive reasons:

1) Private school applicants have prep most evenings and limited weeekend access to web-browsing on the weekends at boarding schools.

2) Ultimately, for applicants the Cambridge section of this website gives advice and responds to queries that applicants may have. At many private schools there is a much larger critical mass of Oxbridge applicants (0ver 40% of Eton) and many teachers/ chaperones have more experience of the systems meaning applicants look to these sources as opposed to google where this site is always a major link for uni related queries.

I am at a private boarding school in the south-west.

predicted grades: AAAAA + A in native language already completed
no GCSE (intl. student)

I dont know about others but Ive got plenty of time to go on the internet and I have probably more experience with Cambridge applications than most of the teachers here (no Cambridge students in the last decades).
Why're you so interested in finding people who got in from private schools? It isn't like they're any different from those who went to state schools (certainly not in terms of aptitude). If/when you get to Cambridge you'll realise nobody gives a damn what sort of school people went to and that's exactly the way it should be.
I went to an independent school and I've just got an offer (unconditional as I'm post A level). My grades are on my profile if you want to see.
As most people have said, I'm sure there are many people on here from independent schools with offers but it shouldn't make any difference. To quote Sidney's page in the Cambridge prospectus "admission is based solely upon academic merit and potential" :smile:
Reply 17
ExamNailer
I can not seem to find anyone on this site who has been accepted or given an offer from Cambridge who are not from state/grammar schools!!

Just wondering if there are any out there? if so what grades did you get? State school applicants also get better offers, particularly if their school has a bad or average record, so just wondering what grades, independant students have?

Thanks,
:smile:

Have you made a post on this website yet that isn't a total ****ing waste of time? Of course there are going to be loads of offers from private schools, its quite evident, most people who post in the successful applicants thread don't put whether they are at a state or independant school. Can't you just look through that thread and see that almost everyone's offer is AAA.....
Reply 18
yeah i got an offer AAB including my A already got at A2. also like 6 ppl at my school have offers which is a private school.
Reply 19
I go to private school. Got EE from Christ's for CompSci 50%.

A levels: FMaths Phys Chem (predicted AAA)
GCSE: 8A* 2A

Latest

Trending

Trending