The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Very well in advance it seems
Reply 2
Original post by skibur
Very well in advance it seems

Hahaha, yep - very well in advance! It doesn't open until the end of September but I'm doing my research to make sure it's the correct path for me and looking into the application process to make sure I'm prepared :smile:
Reply 3
@OAPPete This is the one I started but it's been super quiet :rolleyes:
Original post by ShaniRob
@OAPPete This is the one I started but it's been super quiet :rolleyes:

Hey Shani, I'd suggest updating the thread title - it says "Fast Stream 2071/18", not 2017/18 which may mean it gets missed by people. Also, may be useful to mention "Civil Service" in the thread title.
Reply 5
Original post by Outrigger
Hey Shani, I'd suggest updating the thread title - it says "Fast Stream 2071/18", not 2017/18 which may mean it gets missed by people. Also, may be useful to mention "Civil Service" in the thread title.

Howling, what an idiot!! Any ideas how do I would edit the title please? I've tried the ideas from the search function without much luck.

Thanks for pointing the boo boo out :colondollar:
Howling, what an idiot!! Any ideas how do I would edit the title please? I've tried the ideas from the search function without much luck.

No idea, sorry! Perhaps one of the forum support people can help?
Reply 7

same here, not a clue i'm afraid, but I will now be following last years thread and this years one. and yep, I am looking at having a frustrating 2017/2018 by applying for the fast stream, but I am in the enviable position of having full time employment already. so bring on the waiting and the hurdles :-)
Reply 8
Original post by Outrigger
No idea, sorry! Perhaps one of the forum support people can help?

No probs, I'll give them a shout or start a new thread - there's not much on this and nothing of any great value so no great loss :smile:
Reply 9
No probs, I'll give them a shout or start a new thread - there's not much on this and nothing of any great value so no great loss :smile:

If you start a new one can you quote me/signpost me please :-)

Cheers
Reply 10
Original post by OAPPete
If you start a new one can you quote me/signpost me please :-)

Cheers

Hey there OAPPete :smile: the blimming fabulous mods have changed the title of this one for us so we're good to go!
Reply 11
Hi guys, I'm just coming up to the end of my first year in the Fast Stream if anyone has any questions about the application process or the role.
Reply 12
Original post by Sam8s
Hi guys, I'm just coming up to the end of my first year in the Fast Stream if anyone has any questions about the application process or the role.

Thanks for that offer Sam8s, I'm pretty sure I'll have loads for you! How are you finding it so far? Has it been worth the lengthy application process? Which stream are you on? I'll admit that I'm also looking at applying for HEO roles in addition to the FS - I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket and I'm keen to move into project delivery so trying a couple of tacks.
Reply 13
Original post by Sam8s

Cheers Sam8s, I am sure I will have loads of questions once the process begins, I hope you are enjoying the challenge that being as FSer brings.
Reply 14
Thanks for that offer Sam8s, I'm pretty sure I'll have loads for you! How are you finding it so far? Has it been worth the lengthy application process? Which stream are you on? I'll admit that I'm also looking at applying for HEO roles in addition to the FS - I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket and I'm keen to move into project delivery so trying a couple of tacks.

Overall I'm really enjoying it. There are good parts and bad parts as with any job, but so far the good has outweighed the bad by a long shot. Back when I applied the application process was even longer than 3 months - you guys have it lucky! Even though it was long I'd still say the application process was still worth it, although it's definitely a lot easier when you've already got a job or something to do while you're waiting between stages.

I'm on the Digital and Technology stream, which is essentially the Generalist scheme with a tech flavour. We often do very similar roles, and it's still very focused on leadership rather than becoming a developer or something similar (they have other schemes for that).
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Historicity
Doesn't hurt to be early, look at the current intake's thread - it started around a similar time. It will be largely dead until applications open and then suddenly you won't be able to keep up with the posts

Somebody already on the FS has kindly offered to answer questions but as somebody in your position a year ago who has been made an offer feel free to ask anything about the application process and good luck :smile:

I for one have been following your thread since February/March. And it has been massively eye opening, and I will take you up on your offer as well, at a later date. Glad you got through the whole process and I look forward to hearing about your first year.
I will be applying for the Diplomatic scheme. Does anybody have any advice? Is there any way to prepare before the applications begin?
Original post by OAPPete
I for one have been following your thread since February/March. And it has been massively eye opening, and I will take you up on your offer as well, at a later date. Glad you got through the whole process and I look forward to hearing about your first year.

Thanks very much and good luck :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by OAPPete

I've been reading through it from June, like you I found it really eye opening and it has given me a good idea of exactly what to expect :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Sam8s

Hi, If you're about to come into the civil service at the HEO grade. Do you still think it's worth applying to the fast stream?

I eventually want to transition into a diplomatic position at the foreign office.

Latest

Trending

Trending