The Student Room Group

I need your help and tips.

Well the year is almost over (only a week left) then I will be starting year 11 and this holiday I wanted to go gym and change and even revise so I don't fall behind. I'm not much of a sociable person so I am not really invited out much so I figured I could use to time of the holiday to revise and get in better shape. HOWEVER I have been saying this for a while but didn't execute mainly because I couldn't find the motivation and din't know how to do so. But if anyone can please you help me by telling me how I can become the better me and help me by finding motivation - Thanks.
For me, I can't stay motivated over a long period of time, so I stick to short term goals and constantly renew them to keep myself motivated. I work out on a week by week basis and set my targets accordingly, e.g this week I want to lose x pounds etc, rather than, 'by then end of summer I want to look like this.' Maybe try that to stay motivated? good luck regardless :smile:
Original post by hamzakalinle
For me, I can't stay motivated over a long period of time, so I stick to short term goals and constantly renew them to keep myself motivated. I work out on a week by week basis and set my targets accordingly, e.g this week I want to lose x pounds etc, rather than, 'by then end of summer I want to look like this.' Maybe try that to stay motivated? good luck regardless :smile:

Thanks for the advice I appreciate it.
Original post by JustSomeRandomer
Well the year is almost over (only a week left) then I will be starting year 11 and this holiday I wanted to go gym and change and even revise so I don't fall behind. I'm not much of a sociable person so I am not really invited out much so I figured I could use to time of the holiday to revise and get in better shape. HOWEVER I have been saying this for a while but didn't execute mainly because I couldn't find the motivation and din't know how to do so. But if anyone can please you help me by telling me how I can become the better me and help me by finding motivation - Thanks.

Can't tell if you're a guy or girl but going to the gym + joining sports teams will allow and encourage you to become a lot more sociable and confident, along with all the obvious health benefits. You don't really need to revise this early, a good time to start revising for GCSE's is just after the christmas holidays so just enjoy your free time while you have it

As for motivation, once you start seeing gym results, that's all you'll need to keep going
Original post by addingishard
Can't tell if you're a guy or girl but going to the gym + joining sports teams will allow and encourage you to become a lot more sociable and confident, along with all the obvious health benefits. You don't really need to revise this early, a good time to start revising for GCSE's is just after the christmas holidays so just enjoy your free time while you have it

As for motivation, once you start seeing gym results, that's all you'll need to keep going

Ok thanks so I dedicate this holiday to the gym?
Ok thanks so I dedicate this holiday to the gym?

yeah sort of but don't just scrap it after a few weeks. What are your goals? Lose fat/gain muscle/gain strength? You can't do it all in just 1 holiday it takes time but I can give you some tips on exercise and nutrition, just depends on what results you are aiming for
yeah sort of but don't just scrap it after a few weeks. What are your goals? Lose fat/gain muscle/gain strength? You can't do it all in just 1 holiday it takes time but I can give you some tips on exercise and nutrition, just depends on what results you are aiming for

I was looking to lose fair bit of weight and gain some muscle really back in time for school again.
I was looking to lose fair bit of weight and gain some muscle really back in time for school again.

ok would you say you were 'Skinny Fat'? Either way, your best option will probably be to do mostly cardio but incorporate the core lifts - Deadlifts, squats, bench presses, calf raises and bicep curls a few days a week. There are so many others but if your main goal is to lose fat then they don't come in to play yet. Cardio can be anything from treadmills to exercise bikes, sports or even just standard bodyweight exercises that you can do at home, plenty of videos on youtube. I would recommend something called HIIT - high intensity interval training.

For nutrition, if you really want to make the most of your time at the gym, you need to eat good too. Find out your BMR using an online calculator - it will ask for your height, weight and age I think. Then, subtract around 300 to 500 calories from it - this will be your daily intake of calories. Then, you split these calories up into 'Macros' - protein, fat and carbs. For weight loss and muscle gain, you want to be having around 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat. You can track these using a free app called MyFitnessPal, and use google to learn about what foods are carbs and proteins and so on, all very easy to find.
ok would you say you were 'Skinny Fat'? Either way, your best option will probably be to do mostly cardio but incorporate the core lifts - Deadlifts, squats, bench presses, calf raises and bicep curls a few days a week. There are so many others but if your main goal is to lose fat then they don't come in to play yet. Cardio can be anything from treadmills to exercise bikes, sports or even just standard bodyweight exercises that you can do at home, plenty of videos on youtube. I would recommend something called HIIT - high intensity interval training.

For nutrition, if you really want to make the most of your time at the gym, you need to eat good too. Find out your BMR using an online calculator - it will ask for your height, weight and age I think. Then, subtract around 300 to 500 calories from it - this will be your daily intake of calories. Then, you split these calories up into 'Macros' - protein, fat and carbs. For weight loss and muscle gain, you want to be having around 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat. You can track these using a free app called MyFitnessPal, and use google to learn about what foods are carbs and proteins and so on, all very easy to find.

Ok thank you this will hopefully work and help me get in better shape thank you for the help

Quick Reply

Latest