The Student Room Group

Would I have been auto rejected from Oxford?

I got A*A*A*A* at A level and averaged slightly above 90 in the first year of my degree.

Not sure how impressive it is but I got into the "British Maths Olympiad" (first in schools history), and the physics entrance test does look very doable after bmo.

HOWEVER I had B/C average at GCSE due to stress at home/school and dropped out for a bit so wrote Oxford (and the top 10) off.

I would have been auto-rejected if I applied? R-r-right?

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by lordofbutthurt
I got A*A*A*A* at A level and averaged slightly above 90 in the first year of my degree.

Not sure how impressive it is but I got into the "British Maths Olympiad" (first in schools history), and the physics entrance test does look very doable after bmo.

HOWEVER I had B/C average at GCSE due to stress at home/school and dropped out for a bit so wrote Oxford (and the top 10) off.

Spoiler

You didn't apply to any of the "top 10" (not sure which rankings you're using...)?

I mean... there would have been no harm in trying! Where are you firming instead? What subjects did you do at A-level and what are you looking to study? No they wouldn't "auto-reject" you... they may well have ended up rejecting you but it wouldn't be automatic. It depends on a lot of things and you have great A-levels. I know people at Cambridge with less than perfect GCSEs.

If you're really regretting it then there's no harm in taking a gap year and reapplying to at least 2 of the unis that you would've preferred to go to?

No, you wouldn't. The big advantage of the Oxford admissions process for you would have been the PAT. A high mark on that can out-weight other negative aspects of an application, as, I assume, an explanation could.

It's great that you're doing so well elsewhere. Perhaps you could think about applying for a higher degree?
Reply 3

Spoiler

I guess you have reason to be butthurt :smile: but I would say you would have better chance at Cambridge through extenuating circumstances, but for oxford I would say there is a chance but very small so most likely no
Original post by Moura
You didn't apply to any of the "top 10" (not sure which rankings you're using...)?

I mean... there would have been no harm in trying! Where are you firming instead? What subjects did you do at A-level and what are you looking to study? No they wouldn't "auto-reject" you... they may well have ended up rejecting you but it wouldn't be automatic. It depends on a lot of things and you have great A-levels. I know people at Cambridge with less than perfect GCSEs.

If you're really regretting it then there's no harm in taking a gap year and reapplying to at least 2 of the unis that you would've preferred to go to?

I've done my A levels and 1 year of my degree so can't really change now, it just bothers me a bit. Subjects were all "respectable" hard sciences. By top 10 I mean any of the good london ones, durham, warwick, edinburgh.
Reply 5
I've done my A levels and 1 year of my degree so can't really change now, it just bothers me a bit. Subjects were all "respectable" hard sciences. By top 10 I mean any of the good london ones, durham, warwick, edinburgh.

Well it's all "what ifs" and "grass is greener" and not really that important now. Just focus on your current course.

BUT you would have been competitive for any in the "top 10". Fundamentally vthey all view your most recent academic performance as more important than GCSEs (assuming you meet their minimum GCSE requirements).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RogerOxon
No, you wouldn't. The big advantage of the Oxford admissions process for you would have been the PAT. A high mark on that can out-weight other negative aspects of an application, as, I assume, an explanation could.

It's great that you're doing so well elsewhere. Perhaps you could think about applying for a higher degree?

Was kind of hoping to apply for masters but I'd liked to have had a go at it for undergrad, even if it ended in rejection. Did you personally know people who got in with GCSEs that "bad" during your undergrad (assuming you went there because of your name)?
Reply 7

what uni are you at now?

apart from oxford and cambridge and a couple of the london ones the rest of the top RG unis are basically the same... i think warwick, edinburgh and durham are just given more "prestige" because they're old and look fancy

Spoiler

You got 4 A* at Alevel? Please show me how... i was just like you in GCSE but got mostly B's

I think this could have been of greater concern to them than the GCSE performance and whilst not ruling you out, would have certainly raised some questions:

Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 19.21.54.png

Well done for turning things around, though. Really good.
Original post by MichaelMoore01
I guess you have reason to be butthurt :smile: but I would say you would have better chance at Cambridge through extenuating circumstances, but for oxford I would say there is a chance but very small so most likely no

Wasn't interested in cambridge much due to their undergraduate nat sci course meaning you have to study the other sciences (which I don't really like).

UMS wasn't high enough either, then and again it's because of a stupid debateably non academic reason.

School messed up marking science coursework so it was moderated down meaning no one including me got higher than a low C, which I find hard to believe when I got 100 percent in the exams. Of course maybe I was just bad at coursework but I doubt it due to it effecting absolutely everyone.
Original post by Doonesbury
Well it's all "what ifs" and "grass is greener" and not really that important now. Just focus on your current course.

BUT you would have been competitive for any in the "top 10". Fundamentally vthey all view your most recent academic performance as more important than GCSEs (assuming you meet their minimum GCSE requirements).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks I guess, kind of wish I knew that back then.

Spoiler

Original post by Moura
what uni are you at now?

apart from oxford and cambridge and a couple of the london ones the rest of the top RG unis are basically the same... i think warwick, edinburgh and durham are just given more "prestige" because they're old and look fancy

I don't want to say in case friends browse this website and identify me in real life, sorry. It's a mid ranking one in the russel group.
Reply 13
Quite possibly. Might have had a better chance at Cambridge since they have less emphasis on GCSEs. But yeah, you can apply for a Masters.

Original post by Moura
what uni are you at now?

Warwick...is old and looks fancy? :rofl:
Original post by joyoustele
You got 4 A* at Alevel? Please show me how... i was just like you in GCSE but got mostly B's

Mainly I worked very hard, and also had a lot of issues at home during GCSEs which probably led to under performance.

Things I'd recommend are

a) Go over past papers until you can recite wordy answers word for word. My memory is considerably worse than the average persons and I could recite them perfectly for full marks. (this is not false modesty, it genuinely is way below average and I fully believe the average person can do the remembering part) I did it by writing things out multiple times, some people do it different ways.

b) Try not to get behind, if you can't do something practise at home until you can. Ask teachers if you still cant do it.

c) ACTUALLY believe you can do it. Don't go around saying it obviously but actually make it clear to yourself A*A*A*A* is your aim instead of just an unattainable dream.
Mainly I worked very hard, and also had a lot of issues at home during GCSEs which probably led to under performance.

Things I'd recommend are

a) Go over past papers autistically until you can recite wordy answers word for word. My memory is considerably worse than the average persons and I could recite them perfectly for full marks. (this is not false modesty, it genuinely is way below average and I fully believe the average person can do the remembering part) I did it by writing things out multiple times, some people do it different ways.

b) Try not to get behind, if you can't do something practise at home until you can. Ask teachers if you still cant do it.

c) ACTUALLY believe you can do it. Don't go around saying it obviously but actually make it clear to yourself A*A*A*A* is your aim instead of just an unattainable dream.

Wow, you are the Ultimate me, that i am aspiring to be. Im not the smartest person, (Just above average), But i believe working hard on what you want you can absolutely achieve it.
But to see someone who has had it worse than i have, actually achieve 4A*, Is absolutely AMAZING!!! TY TY TY.
{I have just finished year 12, and have already went through all of C3(maths) before we even started it.}
[Please tell me how your revision/study was like and how long you did this for]
Original post by Reality Check
I think this could have been of greater concern to them than the GCSE performance and whilst not ruling you out, would have certainly raised some questions:

Well done for turning things around, though. Really good.

Lol kind of regret posting that now. I wasn't a bully or picked on people if it appears that way.

School was quite rough and I used to be picked on a bit until I got fed up and would fight over stupid small things. At home I was on edge constantly which didn't help either.

It's going to sound stupid but I eventually considered threatening/fighting as normal behaviour since it was only way to solve anything. Couldn't really get parents to go in and complain.

I still have trust issues/paranoia now to be honest but it's not as bad and I do regret messing around in the past.
Lol kind of regret posting that now. I wasn't a bully or picked on people if it appears that way.

School was quite rough and I used to be picked on a bit until I got fed up and would fight over stupid small things. At home I was on edge constantly which didn't help either.

It's going to sound stupid but I eventually considered threatening/fighting as normal behaviour since it was only way to solve anything. Couldn't really get parents to go in and complain.

I still have trust issues/paranoia now to be honest but it's not as bad and I do regret messing around in the past.

It doesn't sound stupid at all to me :smile: It sounds a very understandable response to an unstable home situation where you found something that 'worked' and thus started to use it.

The main thing is that you've done fabulously in your examinations and have clearly turned your life around. As for Oxford - it really isn't the be-all and end-all. Don't have regrets about it - just look at how far you've come, and how far you're still travelling. That's worth a million Oxfords to me.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Quite possibly. Might have had a better chance at Cambridge since they have less emphasis on GCSEs. But yeah, you can apply for a Masters.

Warwick...is old and looks fancy? :rofl:

Yeah guess I'm just not over it yet.

Also doesn't warwick have the highest A level offer like A*A*A* for maths? Not exactly typical :smile:
Reply 19
Yeah guess I'm just not over it yet.

Also doesn't warwick have the highest A level offer like A*A*A* for maths? Not exactly typical :smile:

Yes. The STEP/AEA offers are easier really. Warwick has very well-renowned Maths/Stats, Economics and (so I've heard - never really looked into any stats on this myself) Business departments. Apart from that, I suppose it is a pretty "standard" RG uni. The earlier poster apparently has no idea considering Warwick University is often criticised for its largely uninspiring architecture and was founded in 1965.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending